Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest elefish92

Do you think Idaho and New Mexico State should join the Mountain West?

Guest elefish92

This is kinda shit-postish but I am really curious to see what you all think, especially since Idaho will leave the FBS after this school year...

We are currently a 12 team conference, and other conferences like the SEC have 14 teams. So, we could expand if we wanted to.

For those who do not know, Idaho and New Mexico State got kicked out of the Sun Belt. Both the Vandals and Aggies will compete in their last season for the Sun Belt in 2017-18. New Mexico State will compete as an independent whereas Idaho will move down to the FCS, for now.

If Idaho does better than last season in football and New Mexico State has another outstanding men's basketball season, what do you all think? 

Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of adding these two schools:

Idaho

Pros

• The Vandals has a history with many of the Mountain West teams. For example, Idaho is 70-116-4 (.379) against the Mountain West in football. 
  • Idaho nearly has the same philosophy of what sports the Vandals compete in comparison to the Mountain West. Of the MW sponsored sports, Idaho competes in 5 of the 7 men's and 8 of the 10 women's Mountain West sports.
  • Idaho will bring in 3 NCAA Division I national championships, all coming from boxing.

Cons

• Boise State will block the conference realignment.
  • Idaho will bring in only 3 bowl trophies. UNLV has three but they have Las Vegas and men's basketball, to start. Idaho has nothing consistently notable from my mind. :(
  • Speaking of other benefits, the University of Idaho is a college town; I think this is self-explanatory for the conference.

New Mexico State

Pros

• New Mexico State has a prominent men's basketball team; 20 NCAA tournament, 4 Sweet Sixteen, 1 Elite Eight, and 1 Final Four appearances for the Aggies. This could essentially bring our conference to the glory days of men's basketball.
  • New Mexico State has the same philosophy of what sports the Aggies compete in when compared to the Mountain West; the Aggies have all men's sports except track & field and all women's sports.
  • New Mexico State dominates the Western Athletic ever since teams have moved on to the American, C-USA, and Mountain West. If you look through the Aggies' athletic website, you will see what I am talking about.

Cons

• New Mexico State will only bring in 2 bowl trophies, and will be the lowest amount of bowl trophies out of any Mountain West member if the Aggies do join.
  • The city of Las Cruces is not exactly the brightest place for Mountain West expansion.
  • New Mexico will block the conference realignment.

Should the Mountain West save these two teams or is it not worth it? Discuss.

I think NMSU would benefit UNM, and IIRC we actually pushed for NMSU's inclusion when USU and SJSU got invited. I can't think of a convincing argument for any of the other 11 schools to include them though.

No

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Never Idaho, as long as they have the aircraft hanger as a "stadium" they shouldn't be in the MW.

NMSU would only be a possibly decent add because of UNM if SJSU was kicked out or schools left for Indy/AAC/P5. Until then...nope...

MW would just dilute the money pot if those two were added and brought the conference to 14. 

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UTEP.

Even UNM doesn't want North Juarez.  All this crap about adding a bunch of New Mexico teams to the MWC is just plain stupid.  There are no people in NM, we've already got the only school worth noticing in NM.  Enough with the UTEP and NMSU crap.  It ain't happening.

Grateful to have UNM.  Beyond that it's like Wyo.  The Pokes are a member, should we really add Casper Community College?  We got the part that matters, why push the issue.

Only if they replace Wyoming and San Jose

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

We've got Hawaii, which doesn't travel for shit, bitching about the dome - presumably there was a problem accommodating the massive UH traveling fan base...

We've got Utah State, who was a C-hair from being in our position and escaped it due to the all-powerful choo-choo spell...

We've got Wyoming, who is taking hypocrisy to a new level because they're basically Idaho's lost twin...

We've  CSU, who is essentially our eternal scoreboard bitch...

We've got some degenerate gambler from UNLV advocating North Texas for who knows what shitty reason...

We've got Mug - et tu brute...

Buncha bastards on this board...

5 minutes ago, CougarBeaver said:

There are 5 schools in the Big Sky that would make better additions than Idaho. The facilities at Idaho and the city of Moscow is a joke. 

Shut the fuk up, you're just a pre-programmed donk.  If we had Alabama facilities, you'd still bitch.