Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swedish

Week 3 of the CFB season will be huge for the MW

Looking at the schedule for all MW teams for this season I think week 3 will be huge for our conference. First off, a key matchup in the Mountain division between UNM and Boise. But looking at the OOC schedule for each team (except Nevada) there is a massive opportunity for statement games.

New Mexico @ Boise State

Air Force @ Michigan

Colorado State @ Alabama

Wyoming vs Oregon

San Jose State vs Utah

Utah State vs Wake Forest

Nevada vs Idaho State :(

Fresno State vs Washington

San Diego State vs Stanford

I'm not sure how many of these games are winnable (Maybe 2? SDSU & Utah State (Not counting Nevada)) but this is an opportunity for the MW to burst onto the scene again.

swedish-alfup.png

2 minutes ago, k5james said:

SDSU is losing that game.  You can mark it down now.  The ASU game is significantly more important for SDSU.

Then I would say Utah State vs Wake is probably the only hope.  If Wake is going to Logan that will help.

16 minutes ago, Swedish said:

Looking at the schedule for all MW teams for this season I think week 3 will be huge for our conference. First off, a key matchup in the Mountain division between UNM and Boise. But looking at the OOC schedule for each team (except Nevada) there is a massive opportunity for statement games.

New Mexico @ Boise State

Air Force @ Michigan

Colorado State @ Alabama

Wyoming vs Oregon

San Jose State vs Utah

Utah State vs Wake Forest

Nevada vs Idaho State :(

Fresno State vs Washington

San Diego State vs Stanford

I'm not sure how many of these games are winnable (Maybe 2? SDSU & Utah State (Not counting Nevada)) but this is an opportunity for the MW to burst onto the scene again.

Maybe Wyoming beats Oregon? And Utah state could beat WF. Everybody else is a loss. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The furdistanis are careful to avoid any true competition that wld expose them, so they are way overrated. IDK what you guys have to fill in what you lost on the lines, but last year SUDS wld have given the manure farmers all they cld handle. Prolly wld have beat 'em

12667677.jpeg

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Maybe Wyoming beats Oregon? And Utah state could beat WF. Everybody else is a loss. 

Wyoming isn't beating Oregon.

Just now, Hugh Jiddump said:

The furdistanis are careful to avoid any true competition that wld expose them, so they are way overrated. IDK what you guys have to fill in what you lost on the lines, but last year SUDS wld have given the manure farmers all they cld handle. Prolly beat 'em

The Who?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, k5james said:

Wyoming isn't beating Oregon.

That's why a prefaced it with a maybe. 

21 minutes ago, Swedish said:

New Mexico @ Boise State

Air Force @ Michigan L

Colorado State @ Alabama L

Wyoming vs Oregon L

San Jose State vs Utah L

Utah State vs Wake Forest L

Nevada vs Idaho State :( W

Fresno State vs Washington L

San Diego State vs Stanford L

This is how it's most likely to play out.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

the school that CT "attended" when he was posting here

Ahhh

I'd say week 0 is the Mountain West's best opportunity to make a statement because Oregon State at Colorado followed by South Florida at SJSU could both be wins that impact national perceptions of the MW.  As much as posters here have pessimism about SJSU, I suggest that pessimism about Charlie Strong should be equal or greater to that held for the Spartans.

Colorado State has a chance to beat the Beavers too.

Week 3 is much less likely to have any games that flip the national perception unless Wyoming beats Oregon in Laramie.  It's a home game so its more likely than a road game which most of the other week 3 match ups are for the Mountain West.

2 minutes ago, k5james said:

This is how it's most likely to play out.

If Wake Forest was playing a better MWC team, I could see the MWC team easily winning.  Oregon has fallen on hard times and Wyoming does have Josh allen, so you never know.  But Fresno is going to get boat raced by Washington, CSU will get murdered by Bama, Air Force will play Michigan close for a couple of quarters before they pull away.  SUDS could beat Stanford if Stanford doesn't come prepared.  SJSU should just forfeit against Utah now to save the embarrassment. 

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

If Wake Forest was playing a better MWC team, I could see the MWC team easily winning.  Oregon has fallen on hard times and Wyoming does have Josh allen, so you never know.  But Fresno is going to get boat raced by Washington, CSU will get murdered by Bama, Air Force will play Michigan close for a couple of quarters before they pull away.  SUDS could beat Stanford if Stanford doesn't come prepared.  SJSU should just forfeit against Utah now to save the embarrassment. 

I can see CSU keeping it close with Alabama. I agree with everything else you said. Wyoming could definitely pull the upset against Oregon. I never know what to expect from SJSU. But you're right, they'll probably get crushed by Utah.

swedish-alfup.png

1 minute ago, Swedish said:

I can see CSU keeping it close with Alabama. I agree with everything else you said. Wyoming could definitely pull the upset against Oregon. I never know what to expect from SJSU. But you're right, they'll probably get crushed by Utah.

For maybe the first couple of minutes of the first quarter. 

17 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Then I would say Utah State vs Wake is probably the only hope.  If Wake is going to Logan that will help.

USU is traveling to Wake.  

I see losses across the board to the P5 teams on here.  

I think the only chance is Stanford/SDSU.  I could see SDSU winning that game, but I think they will probably lose.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

26 minutes ago, mugtang said:

USU isn't very good and Wake showed some improvement last year.  Oregon hasn't really fallen on hard times they just made a terrible hire for HC and compounded that with a terrible DC hire last year.  Taggert is a good coach and they'll be better than expected this year.  Certainly better than Wyoming who looks to be a 6-8 win team to me.  This Oregon team will be better than the Michigan State team that throttled Wyoming last year.

3 minutes ago, k5james said:

USU isn't very good and Wake showed some improvement last year.  Oregon hasn't really fallen on hard times they just made a terrible hire for HC and compounded that with a terrible DC hire last year.  Taggert is a good coach and they'll be better than expected this year.  Certainly better than Wyoming who looks to be a 6-8 win team to me.  This Oregon team will be better than the Michigan State team that throttled Wyoming last year.

I forgot they hired a new coach.  Nevermind.  I agree about USU not being good, which is why I said if it was a better MWC team they would likely win