Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Obamacare lives!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/17/obamacare-senators-turn-on-mcconnell-240646

President Donald Trump's top legislative priority was dealt a potentially fatal blow Monday night as two more Republican senators announced their opposition to the party's health care overhaul.

Trump quickly called on Republicans to simply repeal Obamacare and begin work on a new health care plan, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced he would try to do so...

...McConnell's announcement followed the news that GOP Sens. Mike Lee of Utah and Jerry Moran of Kansas said they could not support the current bill. They joined Maine Sen. Susan Collins and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul in opposition, denying GOP leaders the support to even bring the bill to the floor and upending Republicans' seven-year goal of repealing Obamacare. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who is recovering from surgery, also issued a statement advising the party to start over with a bipartisan approach.

So...has the winning started or what?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work then they get elected and prove it.  

PJ O'Rourke

I disagree with this. They didn't toe the party line and blindly follow their leaders. They listened to their constituents and thought about what a repeal would do to their voters.  Which is how government is supposed to work. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I disagree with this. They didn't toe the party line and blindly follow their leaders. They listened to their constituents and thought about what a repeal would do to their voters.  Which is how government is supposed to work. 

It is ... except the part where the party in control recognizes this reality and reaches over to some in the minority party to build a compromised, consensus bill.

That's not a dig on solely Republicans, either.

Just now, NVGiant said:

It is ... except the part where the party in control recognizes this reality and reaches over to some in the minority party to build a compromised, consensus bill.

That's not a dig on solely Republicans, either.

And I think that's ultimately what will happen. They will fix what is broken with the ACA but it's here to stay now. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

And I think that's ultimately what will happen. They will fix what is broken with the ACA but it's here to stay now. 

I hope so, but I have no faith in that happening.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

I hope so, but I have no faith in that happening.

That would require democrats to acknowledge the bill their party created has flaws and would require the GOP to acknowledge they actually have to work with the Dems to do what's best for Americans. 

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work then they get elected and prove it.  

PJ O'Rourke

this is always what happens when one side is in control. (GOP has White House, House, and Senate)

political parties are great at telling you who's to blame for your problems and why they are unable to get anything done (and it's always the other party).

what they suck at is actually doing anything constructive once they have control. It was the same with the Democrats.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That would require democrats to acknowledge the bill their party created has flaws and would require the GOP to acknowledge they actually have to work with the Dems to do what's best for Americans. 

Might as well hope for a Roswell post to not contain a false equivalency.

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Shumer said as much yesterday. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Shumer said as much yesterday. 

I think increasingly Dems have admitted the flaws, including Hillary during her campaign. And McConnell threatened the GOP a couple of weeks ago that he would be forced to work with Dems if they can't pass this bill. 

But I have no reason to believe that will turn into action, not when voters punish politicians for working with the other party.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think increasingly Dems have admitted the flaws, including Hillary during her campaign. And McConnell threatened the GOP a couple of weeks ago that he would be forced to work with Dems if they can't pass this bill. 

But I have no reason to believe that will turn into action, not when voters punish politicians for working with the other party.

Which is an indictment of the voters.  We created this mess of hyperpartisan politics.  

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Eh... each party has issues with more consensus than others

Republicans have more consensus on taxes, on regulation, and domestic spending so more reform or movement happens when they have power

Democrats have more consensus on health care and some other issues so more reform or movement happens when they have power

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

41 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Which is an indictment of the voters.  We created this mess of hyperpartisan politics.  

Politics is a symptom of our devolution. Look at so called reality TV; it is nothing but manufactured drama created by putting polar opposite personality types in the same place and watching the sparks fly.  MMA - watching someone get beaten up is fun because it isn't me.  People stop and stare at car crashes.  Everything has turned into an Us Vs. Them mentality not just for sports but for politics and many other parts of our lives as well.

Which is why the GOP leadership is now going to just do a repeal vote with no replacement..........because they promised a repeal for 7 years and they desperately need a win. This isn't about the wider constituency, it's about proving to their base they can keep this promise and also because it's a massive tax cut for the rich.

Trying to cloak this as "smart politics & policy" is :lol:

Unfortunately, as someone who works in the system, Obamacare is unfixable. It addresses coverage and does nothing with care or access. It adds huge regulatory burdens that will only increase over time and makes delivery of healthcare even more inefficient. Many more losers than winners and those winners don't really win either. Trying to fix something that inefficient is money wasted.