Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

MW Tv partner makes case for AAC P6

15 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

One thing that hasn't been brought up in the discussion is that, outside of UCONN, no schools in the AAC are its state's flagship or even secondary public school.  How many television sets they have nearby or how big their states are quickly becomes pretty meaningless when the school in question is third, fourth or fifth choice in that market.  And the one flagship they do have is in a region noted for its lack of interest in college football.

I think this is relevant to whether the MW or the American would be 'invited' into the autonomous section of FBS.  The fact the MW has flagship universities of a particular state seems to create a higher potential for the MW than the American.

Also @SleepingGiantsFan I don't think of you as a poster who is comically negative.  I wouldn't have an interest in the MW without some positive opinion of it and it would be extremely petty to troll the MW here when community around this board has more interest in college football discussion than any Pac 12 forum does.

27 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

One thing that hasn't been brought up in the discussion is that, outside of UCONN, no schools in the AAC are its state's flagship or even secondary public school.  How many television sets they have nearby or how big their states are quickly becomes pretty meaningless when the school in question is third, fourth or fifth choice in that market.

True enough. However, compare MWC athletics budgets with the AAC (in millions of dollars, AFA and AAC private schools omitted)

UConn. 79.2

Central Florida 59.3

Cincinnati 59.1

SAN DIEGO STATE 56.5

Houston 51.5

Memphis 50.0

South Florida 47.1

NEVADA LAS VEGAS 46.9

BOISE STATE 46.6

FRESNO STATE 44.8

East Carolina 44.6

HAWAII 44.1

NEW MEXICO 42.8

COLORADO STATE 39.8

WYOMING 36.9

UTAH STATE 32.0

NEVADA RENO 31.0

SAN JOSE STATE 30.9

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Houston, the AAC median, has an athletics budget $8.7M higher than UNM's MWC median. The mean difference is significantly greater, $55.8M vs. $41.1M.

Those figures suggest the greater population base of AAC schools does in fact make a difference. For that matter, so does the fact that the biggest budgets in the MWC are in San Diego and Las Vegas.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I think you'd need to compare subsidies along with budgets.  Is it just a matter of AAC schools sinking more subsidy money into their ADs or is there a real base of revenue being mined.  I don't know, but I think it would complete the picture.

Cincinnati is a perfect example of a school that's hyped for expansion but whose argument breaks down when you dig into the situation, as I'm sure the B12 did.  UC is the clear fourth choice college in its state system : OSU-->Miami of Ohio-->Ohio U-->Cincy.  Outside of the Cincinnati metro area, it has no fanbase in the rest of the state.   And even within the metro market, it splits the area and viewership with OSU, Notre Dame (Cincy is heavily Catholic) and Kentucky.  When UC football is on top, it might squeak out a small plurality of tv viewers but usually is well behind OSU and ND.  Does that sound like a P6 school?

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

You mean a P FIVE school and if Cincinnati is actually regarded lower than Miami, OH and Ohio U that's definitely news to me. Certainly not athletically.

Boom goes the dynamite.

29 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I think you'd need to compare subsidies along with budgets.  Is it just a matter of AAC schools sinking more subsidy money into their ADs or is there a real base of revenue being mined.  I don't know, but I think it would complete the picture.

Cincinnati is a perfect example of a school that's hyped for expansion but whose argument breaks down when you dig into the situation, as I'm sure the B12 did.  UC is the clear fourth choice college in its state system : OSU-->Miami of Ohio-->Ohio U-->Cincy.  Outside of the Cincinnati metro area, it has no fanbase in the rest of the state.   And even within the metro market, it splits the area and viewership with OSU, Notre Dame (Cincy is heavily Catholic) and Kentucky.  When UC football is on top, it might squeak out a small plurality of tv viewers but usually is well behind OSU and ND.  Does that sound like a P6 school?

MW schools use subsidies too. A heavy portion of the "subsidy" is school fees that are baked into enrollment. So no matter how you want to slice it up, the AAC schools on average have significantly more money for their ADs.

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You mean a P FIVE school and if Cincinnati is actually regarded lower than Miami, OH and Ohio U that's definitely news to me. Certainly not athletically.

Athletically, it's a cut above for now.  But for football that's a pretty recent development and came about when they were invited into the Big East.   As for the school's overall reputation, It has more of a research presence along with law and med schools, but on an undergraduate level though, it's absolutely considered to be a fourth choice school behind Miami of Ohio and Ohio U.  MoO and OU are also statewide schools that pull students from all over Ohio.  Cincinnati is definitely a regional school that pulls its students primarily from the Ciny metro area.  My point being that a lot of those AAC schools and their claim to being the P6 choice over the MWC don't hold up to much scrutiny.  

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

13 hours ago, robe said:

I'm embarrassed to be a partial football only member of this conference. Hawaii and BYU need to leave this sinking ship forever. 

Good grief you could have pulled in Wichita St, Gonzaga and BYU for basketball instead you sat around doing nothing. 

I'm only ok with playing USU, Hawaii and BSU. Maybe NM and UNLV twice a year in basketball would be ok too. SDSU would be ok to play as well they have nice beaches. No one else period. 

We recruit in San Jose so that team is fine as well. CSU and Wyoming have some history with us so a yearly game could be tolorated with them perhaps

We owe Nevada some pay back so I want to see them on the schedule again. 

Fresno is a cupcake that is much needed so they could fill a niche for us.

AF is actually a solid program with a national following so we could add them.

Other than those teams absolutely no MWC teams should be scheduled by BYU ever again. 

Wichita State, Gonzaga, and BYU basketball.   One of those things is not like the others.   

Posted Image

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

MW schools use subsidies too. A heavy portion of the "subsidy" is school fees that are baked into enrollment. So no how matter you want to slice it up, the AAC schools on average have significantly more money for their ADs.

I know everyone uses subsidies, but I think that, in the near future, that is going to be limited.  Virginia just put percentage caps on how much of an AD's budget can come from subsidies, and Ohio just gave the System Chancellor the right to veto any student fees that he doesn't see as in the best interests of students and taxpayers.  So my point is that if those AAC budgets are being driven by a higher percentage of subsidies than MW budgets then you might see them come back to earth and that advantage disappear.

SteelCityBlue

12 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Academically, Miami is clearly a better school. There is no question. Then again, my wife went to Miami of Ohio, and she could not tell you what the 2nd Ammendment is or who wrote the Declaration of Independence :-)

10 minutes ago, fanhood said:

Academically, Miami is clearly a better school. There is no question. Then again, my wife went to Miami of Ohio, and she could not tell you what the 2nd Ammendment is or who wrote the Declaration of Independence :-)

Here's the middle 50% SAT ranges for the four Ohio schools.

OSU: 1170-1390

Miami of Ohio: 1140-1340

Cincinnati: 1040-1290

Ohio U: 1000-1210

Surprised that they're better than OU, but in any case, it's a distant third behind OSU and Miami.  And to get back to my original point, is there more potential in a flagship in a Mountain West state or in a school that's considered an afterthought in a heavily populated state in the Midwest?

SteelCityBlue

6 hours ago, fanhood said:

Basically what I predicted, but K5 laughed. I just disagree with your middle class.

Wyoming should be able to catch Oregon at Home. Oregon doesn't play defense and will be in transition. Boise will be Boise. CSU has a rare opportunity of capitalizing on a new stadium, playing three p5s, and having their entire offense returning. Boise will be Boise. SDSU should continue to rise, and expect to beat ASU this season.

What do you consider to be the middle class, and do you think the middle class deserves a tax cut,  while at the same time raising them for the top 5% upper class. The sad truth is that Trump could do more for the MWC middle class than Hair Thompson. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Maybe I need another cup of coffee but your first and last sentences seem to be in conflict.

Agree with the first one if only because the MWC West has nowhere to go but up. Hawaii, UNLV and Fresno will all be better this year although SJSU will be worse.

My bad, I was referring to SJSU, and should've been more specific than a 'they'.

kat.jpg

20 hours ago, AztecSU said:

AAC schools on average have significantly more money for their ADs

No idea, but I wonder how just standard costs work into it? For example, I believe Connecticut has the highest COL in the US - so everything in general is more expensive. So for the medians quoted, maybe the difference is just that it costs more in general from Houston to Albq.?

23 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

You could very well be right, no idea, I've not looked at schedules that close. Need to pace myself or I'll be completely bored with plenty of time before the first kickoff..

My preference would be for the MWC to start doing better OOC/P5 in general rather than pull for the AAC to fail. The dream scenario is that both conferences perform well against the P5 teams over several years and work our way into the playoff discussion.

Agree w/ your Preference & Thoughts.   Go MWC & Go G5's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, RAMification said:

Agree w/ your Preference & Thoughts.   Go MWC & Go G5's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Several years ago there was a blog that was pretty close to your username... It was pretty damn funny and I enjoyed checking it, the humor was top notch. Was that you?