Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

The doctor's 13th incarnation

Never been a big Doctor Who fan so I assume it's like Bond where the lead constantly changes?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

52 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Never been a big Doctor Who fan so I assume it's like Bond where the lead constantly changes?

Pretty much... most of them last 2-3 years. 

I personally haven't watched since Smith left and Capaldi took over. I think this could be a really good thing, as long as they don't focus on, "OMG THE DOCTOR IS A WOMAN", and just tell the stories as though nothing really has changed.

14 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I personally haven't watched since Smith left and Capaldi took over. I think this could be a really good thing, as long as they don't focus on, "OMG THE DOCTOR IS A WOMAN", and just tell the stories as though nothing really has changed.

I'm a big Trekkie and I always liked Janeway as a captain. Voyager itself left a lot to be desired but I liked her character.  Always thought they did a good job just telling the story 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

17 minutes ago, retrofade said:

i'm concerned star trek will go down that road

just tell the durn stories.  i'm cool with chick captains, i even liked (most of) voyager.  janeway was a great captain.

if the tv show just becomes another rah-rah for diversity rather than actually being diverse then i'll just tune out.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I'm a big Trekkie and I always liked Janeway as a captain. Voyager itself left a lot to be desired but I liked her character.  Always thought they did a good job just telling the story 

haha jinx!

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i'm concerned star trek will go down that road

just tell the durn stories.  i'm cool with chick captains, i even liked (most of) voyager.  janeway was a great captain.

if the tv show just becomes another rah-rah for diversity rather than actually being diverse then i'll just tune out.

Great nerd minds!  But I agree with you about the fear of Star Trek doing that too. Nobody cared that Sisko was a black man, they didn't make a big deal about it at all.  And I've consistently said he was my favorite captain as he did what was necessary and was the most "human" of all the captains. 

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Great nerd minds!  But I agree with you about the fear of Star Trek doing that too. Nobody cared that Sisko was a black man, they didn't make a big deal about it at all.  And I've consistently said he was my favorite captain as he did what was necessary and was the most "human" of all the captains. 

i can think of two episodes where it came up -- the holosuite stories with Vic Fontaine and how black men were treated in the 60s in a nightclub like that, but the episode also kinda told him to understand the past but not use it as a wound to continually parade around

and the other where sisko was a black sci-fi writer in the 40s

i am fine with star trek pushing social boundaries and asking me to re-evaluate my beliefs.  but if i feel i'm being punished for being a straight, white, cis, religious male then i'm oot.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Time Lords die and regenerate.

I believe they have 12 regenerations and I'm not sure how they got around that. Miss David Tennant....he was the best one.

One of the Final Five..........

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

i can think of two episodes where it came up -- the holosuite stories with Vic Fontaine and how black men were treated in the 60s in a nightclub like that, but the episode also kinda told him to understand the past but not use it as a wound to continually parade around

and the other where sisko was a black sci-fi writer in the 40s

i am fine with star trek pushing social boundaries and asking me to re-evaluate my beliefs.  but if i feel i'm being punished for being a straight, white, cis, religious male then i'm oot.

I get what you're saying. Never felt like Star Trek was doing that though. At least none of the series so far

5 hours ago, mugtang said:

They should do an evil Star Trek series. The one where they go into the Empire in the original Star Trek "Mirror, Mirror" and Enterprise.

Now I could care less about a TV show but it is funny how this stuff works.  The equality thing always seems to come down to taking things away and giving them special rights because they can't compete without them according to the ignorant racist leftists.  They are happy when they take away your club or your school.  That equality though doesn't extend to their clubs and schools.  The difference is white men expect to have to create their own stuff.  They expect no equality unless earned.  The groups fighting for equality and their ignorant racist leftist champions think it can be given for free.

What's the first thing that happens to these institutions when membership is given for free.   Well immediately they become worth less and traditions die as well as the camaraderie and fellowship.   I understand exclusions by sex or skin color are bad in ways.  I just ask if they are so bad, why are they kept for those who are fighting against them?  Oh yeah... I forgot they are valuable for people to feel camaraderie and fellowship it would be cruel to take them away from women and minorities.

9 hours ago, mysfit said:

Time Lords die and regenerate.

I believe they have 12 regenerations and I'm not sure how they got around that. Miss David Tennant....he was the best one.

They got around it by having the Time Lords grant a new regeneration cycle to him, which allowed him to defeat the Daleks on Trenzalore. That was also the last Doctor Who episode that I watched. 

4 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Now I could care less about a TV show but it is funny how this stuff works.  The equality thing always seems to come down to taking things away and giving them special rights because they can't compete without them according to the ignorant racist leftists.  They are happy when they take away your club or your school.  That equality though doesn't extend to their clubs and schools.  The difference is white men expect to have to create their own stuff.  They expect no equality unless earned.  The groups fighting for equality and their ignorant racist leftist champions think it can be given for free.

What's the first thing that happens to these institutions when membership is given for free.   Well immediately they become worth less and traditions die as well as the camaraderie and fellowship.   I understand exclusions by sex or skin color are bad in ways.  I just ask if they are so bad, why are they kept for those who are fighting against them?  Oh yeah... I forgot they are valuable for people to feel camaraderie and fellowship it would be cruel to take them away from women and minorities.

AEkw9.gif

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

They should do an evil Star Trek series. The one where they go into the Empire in the original Star Trek "Mirror, Mirror" and Enterprise.

They had several episodes about the mirror universe in deep space nine. 

Just now, Rampage said:

Saw that on wiki, but a complete series on that would be unique. Make the Earthlings the evil guys.

They could do a series about the rise and fall of the Terran empire.  By the time DS9 rolls around the humans are subjugated by the Alliance and are fighting for their freedom.