Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Fish are people too!

1 minute ago, Rocket said:

True and lets face it, we're not leaving anything to future generations, we're having a good time, can't worry about the past or the future. What will be will be. Gotta make that money, g's up hoes down fool LOLOLOL!!!! I need a drink

I like to think we are getting better. But it's kind of two steps forward, one step back. 

We at least seem to be weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 7/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, I am Ram said:

Just be a good steward of the land and water, and respect your catch, then there is zero problem with fishing (or hunting for that matter). Not sure how someone could get angry at anglers or fishing as a sport in general. Now, anger at poor anglers I totally get. Unfortunately, there are too many people who are awful representatives of the sport. 

And in my opinion too many people who are awful representatives of animal rights.

19 hours ago, toonkee said:

I believe some find it more ethical to eat things that do not feel pain or at least less pain/suffering. I can't fault that reasoning.

As a personal choice neither can I.  When they get in your face and throw your fish back then I've got a big problem with it.

17 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

As a personal choice neither can I.  When they get in your face and throw your fish back then I've got a big problem with it.

Don't most places have laws on how to treat catch?

1 minute ago, SFtoVA said:

I thought it was odd he first sent in his kid to start harassing complete strangers. Seems like a d-bag move right out the gate.

I'd be shocked if this guy has ever done anything constructive to advance animal welfare specifically with regard to fish.  Pretty sure his goal was to use his kid and to produce a video to post on social media and show his friends how he's fighting the good fight.

7 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Don't most places have laws on how to treat catch?

Yes and by all means call the game and fish department or police.  I doubt mishandling of your catch gives another the right to steal and dump it.  This guy clearly wanted a confrontation to post on social media.

He does more harm than good for his cause.  PETA has always been their own worst enemy due to their organizations and many of its individual members radicalism.  This guy is no different.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, toonkee said:

They respond to damage but sense pain?

Can you point to a credible source on this?

Thanks.

How do you define pain? I would say that any stimulus that damages an organism, and elicits a reaction response could be construed as pain. A tree can't say "Ow."

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

11 minutes ago, CV147 said:

How do you define pain? I would say that any stimulus that damages an organism, and elicits a reaction response could be construed as pain. A tree can't say "Ow."

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Thank you for the links.

Although pain is hard to explain and define, I would not say reacting to damage constitutes feeling pain. Pain is a complex thing and most believe it cannot be felt without nervous system structures like a brain cortex or possibly a brain stem.  

Here's an interesting read. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xd74nd/we-asked-a-botanist-how-sure-science-is-that-plants-cant-feel-pain-302

So, if I follow you, plants really do feel, not metaphorically, but really. They just can't feel pain. Right?
Plants don't have pain receptors. Plants have pressure receptors that allow them to know when they're being touched or moved—mechanoreceptors. It's a specific nerve cell.

And to be clear, am I right that a plant knows it's being damaged?
You can definitely kill a plant, but it doesn't care.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Thank you for the links.

Although pain is hard to explain and define, I would not say reacting to damage constitutes feeling pain. Pain is a complex thing and most believe it cannot be felt without nervous system structures like a brain cortex or possibly a brain stem.  

Here's an interesting read. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xd74nd/we-asked-a-botanist-how-sure-science-is-that-plants-cant-feel-pain-302

So, if I follow you, plants really do feel, not metaphorically, but really. They just can't feel pain. Right?
Plants don't have pain receptors. Plants have pressure receptors that allow them to know when they're being touched or moved—mechanoreceptors. It's a specific nerve cell.

And to be clear, am I right that a plant knows it's being damaged?
You can definitely kill a plant, but it doesn't care.

But they do respond to stimuli, both positive and negative.  Cut their surface they scar.  Show them love and they thrive.  Restrict them they suffer like any living organism.

Honestly, that asshole sends his kid over to lecture me on ethics of killing living things....I'm throwing the dad back in the water.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

10 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

But they do respond to stimuli, both positive and negative.  Cut their surface they scar.  Show them love and they thrive.  Restrict them they suffer like any living organism.

Honestly, that asshole sends his kid over to lecture me on ethics of killing living things....I'm throwing the dad back in the water.

Image result for gary larson stimulus response

Just now, toonkee said:

Image result for gary larson stimulus response

Cute.  But my argument stands.  All life sustenance depends on the loss of life in "lower" forms.

I put no less thought in eating a carrot as a piece of meat.  But that's what I was taught by my family.  Circle of life and all that crap.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

6 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

I thought it was odd he first sent in his kid to start harassing complete strangers. Seems like a d-bag move right out the gate.

I hope the kid grows up to be a hunting and fishing guide. 

Barack Obama

On 7/17/2017 at 1:40 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

I like to think we are getting better. But it's kind of two steps forward, one step back. 

We at least seem to be weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels. 

I'm not sure there's any evidence of that, also we probably have already past the point of no return. The ocean is dying and will be completely dead in about 60 years, I'm basically advising my children not to have children so they won't have to suffer on a dead/dying planet.

1 hour ago, Rocket said:

I'm not sure there's any evidence of that, also we probably have already past the point of no return. The ocean is dying and will be completely dead in about 60 years, I'm basically advising my children not to have children so they won't have to suffer on a dead/dying planet.

I was thinking in terms of green energy. And hopefully, we haven't passed the point of no return. 

As far as evidence, China is becoming the world leader in developing solar energy. Tesla is putting out a $30,000 vehicle. By 2019, Volvo will be producing only electric or hybrid  vehicles. No more gas only cars for them. 

To little, too late? Maybe, but we seem to be turning the corner. 

Barack Obama

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I was thinking in terms of green energy. And hopefully, we haven't passed the point of no return. 

As far as evidence, China is becoming the world leader in developing solar energy. Tesla is putting out a $30,000 vehicle. By 2019, Volvo will be producing only electric or hybrid  vehicles. No more gas only cars for them. 

To little, too late? Maybe, but we seem to be turning the corner. 

Those things wont help. The worlds corral reefs are dead or dying due to global warming (belief is not required) the evidence is recorded and known. The Fukashima disaster is probably the straw that broke the camels back and now a huge section of ice shelf the size of Vermont has broken away from the Antarctic ice, meaning more water in the ocean, meaning more flooding and hurricanes the likes we havent seen yet. Waterworld will be a difficult time and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Luckily we'll be dead and buried by yhe time the ocean dies completely.

9 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Those things wont help. The worlds corral reefs are dead or dying due to global warming (belief is not required) the evidence is recorded and known. The Fukashima disaster is probably the straw that broke the camels back and now a huge section of ice shelf the size of Vermont has broken away from the Antarctic ice, meaning more water in the ocean, meaning more flooding and hurricanes the likes we havent seen yet. Waterworld will be a difficult time and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Luckily we'll be dead and buried by yhe time the ocean dies completely.

Nature has a way of healing itself. 

Barack Obama

11 hours ago, Rocket said:

Good, if you believe that shit you are doing the world a big favor.

4 hours ago, Rocket said:

You should consider a break from the kool aide.

Image result for ecstasy gif