Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

judonomi

Cool rivalry study

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

No, it stems from the fact that more than half of the replay booths in the league were run in this fashion without incident, then suddenly it's a problem.  You have no evidence cheating occurred.

If shoe was on the other foot, your fans would have lost their minds over it. Not disputing that other schools were using similar system, but it was a bad look the way everything went down. However, I tend to go with a version Hanlon's Razor on this - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence". I think the booth was clearly incompetent here, and should have been fired regardless of affiliation. 

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

They don't believe they got 5 downs?  It's pretty much objectively true they got 5 downs.  This is a completely different situation.

Every CU fan I have interacted with maintains that CU clearly would have ran a play and made the game winning score on 4th down had the markers been correct in the first place. They may or may not have scored, but it is fun to talk about with CU fans because they all lose their damned minds when you bring it up.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

33 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nebraska has Oklahoma as top rival...........too bad they haven't played in years and might not for decades - Then shows CU & OU as top rivals of,  teams the Huskers haven't and won't play for years !! Sad when your the rivals of two non-conference opponents and haven't played inside a decade :unsure:

Main Rivals: oklahoma-logo-sm.png wisconsin-logo-sm.png
Main Rivals Of: colorado-logo-sm.png oklahoma-logo-sm.png iowa-logo-sm.png

Actually, Nebraska is scheduled to play home and homes with Oklahoma in 2020 and 2021 and again in 2029 and 2030.  That said the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry took a beating with the formation of the Big XII and was never the same playing 2 out of every 4 years.  Most Huskers considered Mizzou to be a rival and we miss that game.  CU was a rival only in that their fanbase leads the ncaa on the douchebag scale and were fun to knock around.  Other than that nobody misses CU in Nebraska.  Over time I think Wisconsin and Iowa will replace CU and MIzzou but there is no replacing Oklahoma as a rival.

7 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Actually, Nebraska is scheduled to play home and homes with Oklahoma in 2020 and 2021 and again in 2029 and 2030.  That said the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry took a beating with the formation of the Big XII and was never the same playing 2 out of every 4 years.  Most Huskers considered Mizzou to be a rival and we miss that game.  CU was a rival only in that their fanbase leads the ncaa on the douchebag scale and were fun to knock around.  Other than that nobody misses CU in Nebraska.  Over time I think Wisconsin and Iowa will replace CU and MIzzou but there is no replacing Oklahoma as a rival.

If Minnesota could ever get their shit together, I am sure they would love another Heartland rivalry.

Bits o' Broken Chair was amusing, but it was no more than a gimmick.

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

They did change them, after successfully doing things the way they were for an entire decade.  Think of all the cheating that happened during that time!

You guys lost a game and wanted an excuse for it.  You got your way, that's fine.  There's no evidence he cheated.  His job is to provide the views to the official that are asked for, which is what he did.  It's not his job to influence the replay official to a particular view.  He sits there in silence and provides the views he is asked to provide.

Do you even understand what the controller does?  He has no bearing on reversing or deciding a call.  Additionally, there was a blatant facemask that occurred on the same play, which would nullify any fumble to start wtih.

So you're saying he didn't show them this view than? I would say that the fumble is so obvious for the refs to not have an angle on it defies basic logic, unless it was done purposefully. 

19 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

So you're saying he didn't show them this view than? I would say that the fumble is so obvious for the refs to not have an angle on it defies basic logic, unless it was done purposefully. 

I have no dog in this fight but seems like a stretch that a miscalled play in the 3rd quarter decided the outcome of a game.

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

No, it stems from the fact that more than half of the replay booths in the league were run in this fashion without incident, then suddenly it's a problem.  You have no evidence cheating occurred.

What IS known is that the frame(s) which most clearly showed that BYU fumbled were not passed on to the replay official by your Pimp in the Box so as to allow him to overturn the ruling on the field. Of course, if you tell us the PitB didn't do that intentionally but was instead just dumber than shit, I'll buy that.

Turning to the SDSU votes, they are preposterously bad and suggest the votes were cast exclusively by old guys who no longer pay much attention to SDSU sports and/or are senile. Nobody who started school post-Jimmer cares a whit about BYU so obviously no millennials voted. SJSU hasn't been considered a rival by Joe Average SDSU Fan for 40 years and Fresno State only mildly matters anymore either. And UCLA? Rotflmao! Here are my ratings using a 1-10 scale.

In no particular order Boise, BYU and Fresno: 5

AFA: 3 (we all hate that POS Calhoun)

That's for football, of course. For basketball:

UNLV: 8

UNM: 6

Boise and CSU: 4

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, judonomi said:

I have no dog in this fight but seems like a stretch that a miscalled play in the 3rd quarter decided the outcome of a game.

Perhaps, but if that is called a fumble they don't score a TD to start the 4th, leaving them with 17 points instead of 24. Final score was 24-21.

37 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Look, it's not his job to influence the outcome.  Those guys don't even talk to each other, the official makes the decision and asks for the different views from each camera.  His job is to show the view that is asked for.  I feel the witch hunt with regards to the guy was unwarranted, he had done an excellent job at his position for years and then suddenly he's cheating.  Nevermind that over half of the replay booths in the league at that time were run in this fashion.

I get you guys are still mad about it, and that this stuff can bug you.  Later that year we felt like we got screwed over in a replay against Utah on a fumble that occurred on an interception when our players knee was down.  

Stuff happens, bad calls happen, it's happened to every single one of our teams.  It's part of the game.

18 minutes ago, judonomi said:

There's always that aspect as well.

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

That's asinine. The lord must be with them

Like you know shit about anything, Bobbo. 

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

What IS known is that the frame(s) which most clearly showed that BYU fumbled were not passed on to the replay official by your Pimp in the Box so as to allow him to overturn the ruling on the field. Of course, if you tell us the PitB didn't do that intentionally but was instead just dumber than shit, I'll buy that.

Turning to the SDSU votes, they are preposterously bad and suggest the votes were cast exclusively by old guys who no longer pay much attention to SDSU sports and/or are senile. Nobody who started school post-Jimmer

Again, it's not his job to do anything but provide the view that the replay official asks for.  

3 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Perhaps, but if that is called a fumble they don't score a TD to start the 4th, leaving them with 17 points instead of 24. Final score was 24-21.

You guys had multiple chances to win the game.  Do you care that there was a facemask on the play where this officiating error occurred?  Or is that just one that's ok because it favors your team?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Lol! you kill me. I know that was a fumble and one of the worst calls I've ever seen. BYU constantly get breaks in their favor. Must be for all the righteous living

LOL, indeed.  Who said it wasn't one?  That's not even what we're talking about

5 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

lol, simple Jack out here acting like that isn't the worst call in the history of the MW while BYU was a member. 

Good stuff.  I've always said it was a fumble.  I've also always said it wasn't legit because there was an egregious facemask on the play, so in reality BYU should have retained possession of the ball with 15 extra yards tacked on.  The right call ultimately happened, which was BYU football.  Why don't you care about the facemask?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

55 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

There are so many variables that could have lead to that call being left alone. To call it blatant cheating is lazy and irresponsible. How much time have you spent in a FBS/D-1 replay booth?

And I can't stand BYU. 

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Lol. Only a Byu fan could defend this with a straight face. Brainwashed. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Interesting data. Houston and Cincy has no real rivals in the AAC. Also, WVU has no real rival in the Big 12. Looks like Mizzo and A&M are developing rivals in the SEC. Shows how bad some of the new conferences have become for tradition.

23 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

There are so many variables that could have lead to that call being left alone. To call it blatant cheating is lazy and irresponsible. How much time have you spent in a FBS/D-1 replay booth?

And I can't stand BYU. 

Blatant cheating? Maybe. A bad call on par with the worst this conference has seen? Without a doubt.

10 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Interesting data. Houston and Cincy has no real rivals in the AAC. Also, WVU has no real rival in the Big 12. Looks like Mizzo and A&M are developing rivals in the SEC. Shows how bad some of the new conferences have become for tradition.

Another anomaly...

Boston College ranks its rivals as:

Notre Dame - 74

Virginia Tech - 9

... neither of which consider Boston College its rival.

https://knowrivalry.com/team/boston_college/

7 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Another pair of lists I found interesting

Top Mutual Rivalries and Most Lopsided Rivalries

UU and BYU indeed are mutual rivals after all.  And Idaho hates Boise a whole lot more than Boise hates Idaho.

Bogus list, absolutely no mention of Minnesota or Idaho as Colorado State's main rival.