Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Is This Weird?

I'd really have to call into question the journalistic ethics of the reporters passing along marketing schemes as news. A journalist should always seek out the truth, not what a city wants to "market" itself as. A journalist should also seek out an opposing viewpoint, whenever possible.

Of course the city sees news stories as a better investment than billboards or advertising. People count on reporters to tell the truth. When a reporter picks up a marketing scheme and reports it as the truth, it blurs the line between paid content and news content. A reporter should never be "bought."

Seriously, it's this kind of thing that is damaging the perception of journalism as a whole.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

Most everyone in the PR and marketing world knows that reporters are amongst the laziest fcuking people on the planet. 95% of what you read in trade pubs and specialty mags is furnished by PR and marketing departments. 

That isn't true for all reporters. Though I would say TV reporters are some of the worst when it comes to recycling press releases and AP wire content as news. Most newspaper reporters hold to the old school philosophy of interviews, attending meetings, and research for a vast majority of the news they write.

4 minutes ago, CV147 said:

TV reporters are some of the worst when it comes to recycling press releases and AP wire content as news. 

This is pretty true, though AP wire is news.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

19 hours ago, bigd said:

It's a combination of a lot of things, but the Tesla hype combined with the lack of new building in Reno/Bay Area/Sacramento is driving prices way up. The housing market in northern California/Nevada is just nuts, it has to be a bubble. 

I'm not sure this is a bubble.The last bubble had sub prime, 3 percent down and interest only mortgages stoking the market. The supply is less than a month and a half where a balance would be between 4-6m supply. Reno has among the highest rental rates in the country so this pushes demand even more. This is not even considering the added Tech company transplants. These prices might stick.

30 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I've never in my life talked to a former reporter in the PR or marketing world say that their new job was  had to be as much work or as difficult as their job at the newspaper.

Edit: I know a lot of hard working people in PR who do a lot of good work. Most of those people are former reporters. 

Truth

29 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I'm not sure this is a bubble.The last bubble had sub prime, 3 percent down and interest only mortgages stoking the market. The supply is less than a month and a half where a balance would be between 4-6m supply. Reno has among the highest rental rates in the country so this pushes demand even more. This is not even considering the added Tech company transplants. These prices might stick.

There is one "bubble" component at play though. There is fear out there that since prices and interest rates are rising, "we have to buy now or we'll never be able to". Prices are feeding on that mentality to an extent and the next set of sales at the next higher price makes that fear and the willingness to "overpay" even stronger. So, I would say there is a self-inflating mechanism at work right now. 

17 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I'm confused. AP is lazy news?

Yes. It's the equivalent of copying someone's homework.

Any medium should be able to fill with in-house, local content. Newspapers do that much better than their broadcast brethren.

Here's the thing about using wire news to fill: people have already heard most of it through the internet, cable news, etc.

People want local, community-based news.

Any medium that is filling with regurgitated Trump, or national news and ignoring their local government deserves to die off. But, that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

Any medium should be able to fill with in-house, local content. Newspapers do that much better than their broadcast brethren.

The staffing isn't comparable, even after years of newspaper cutbacks. TV news at every level is pretty terrible.

Back to the AP, I agree that outlets shouldn't rely on wire copy for local news. But for regional and national, the AP is invaluable. it's not like copying homework, either. It's more like media outlets pooling resources to pay for reporting that would otherwise be beyond their reach.

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

No

Yes

If you mean using AP is the equivalent of copying homework, while I would say you're bing unfair, it's an argument that is worth discussing. But the AP reporting itself is real news.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, CV147 said:

I disagree that it is 'beyond their reach.'

A lot of the AP stuff is news the outlet feels is important, while the audience doesn't care.

How should the Reno GJ get a reporter to Washington DC or to Syria? They can't, especially since the early 2000s. So they use AP, a service they pay a lot of money for.

Your second point is an interesting one - do local audiences care to read about news outside the market? Does the Reno GJ even need AP? Should they include national/world news in their paper? A lot of people are still trying to figure out the answer to that question. But the answer isn't as simple as you suggest.

Considering Reno's median home price topped $326,000 and their unemployment has dipped to 4.3% compared to Las Vegas at $236,000 and 7.4% unemployment I'd say it's working. Reno is still 28% below the peak of 2008, Vegas is still 45% below. The housing supply is still ridiculously low in both cities and while there is a lot of building going on, it's nothing like it was in 2004-2008. Both cities are among the fastest growing in the nation right now. 

I don't present those numbers as housing and employment smack, just for comparison's sake. Vegas looks like it's booming right now. Reno is literally on fire.

34 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Considering Reno's median home price topped $326,000 and their unemployment has dipped to 4.3% compared to Las Vegas at $236,000 and 7.4% unemployment I'd say it's working. Reno is still 28% below the peak of 2008, Vegas is still 45% below. The housing supply is still ridiculously low in both cities and while there is a lot of building going on, it's nothing like it was in 2004-2008. Both cities are among the fastest growing in the nation right now. 

I don't present those numbers as housing and employment smack, just for comparison's sake. Vegas looks like it's booming right now. Reno is literally on fire.

We at 4.8% May 2017 and you guys are at 3.9% according to labor bureau. 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

How should the Reno GJ get a reporter to Washington DC or to Syria? They can't, especially since the early 2000s. So they use AP, a service they pay a lot of money for.

Your second point is an interesting one - do local audiences care to read about news outside the market? Does the Reno GJ even need AP? Should they include national/world news in their paper? A lot of people are still trying to figure out the answer to that question. But the answer isn't as simple as you suggest.

I would argue that newspapers' future rests solely on their ability to relate to their audience. One of the first things I learned about communication was that if one does not understand one's audience, then failure will surely follow.

I believe that most local newspapers should focus almost entirely on local content.

It, for one, gives the people the knowledge about the local laws that affect the people the most. It involves them in government, as our forefathers intended when they gave freedom of the press.

Secondly, it builds back the trust which has been eroded by agenda setting media, harping on topics they, not the reader, feel are important.

12 hours ago, toonkee said:

There is one "bubble" component at play though. There is fear out there that since prices and interest rates are rising, "we have to buy now or we'll never be able to". Prices are feeding on that mentality to an extent and the next set of sales at the next higher price makes that fear and the willingness to "overpay" even stronger. So, I would say there is a self-inflating mechanism at work right now. 

I think that does play into it but these rates have been around for years now and the talking heads have been saying "need to buy before rates increase" for years now. Another factor for housing inflation is the people who declared bankruptcy during the crash are just now getting their credit ratings repaired and are entering the market again.