Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

SJSU Basketball Coach Resigns

14 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

Please tell me you didn't really think this was funny when you wrote it.

Mike, let's stay on topic please.......

1476974370_dumpsterfireout.gif

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Maybe they can get the Sam Jackson character from "Coach Carter"

Ken Carter went 25-6 coaching slamball. We could (and probably will) do a lot worse.

15 hours ago, Cincy said:

Mike, let's stay on topic please.......

1476974370_dumpsterfireout.gif

Pretty accurate. Except for the fact that no one is trying all that hard to put it out. We're all just watching it burn to the ground. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

30 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

so it's been a week...what's up SJSU? y'all gonna hire Mike Davis or go all weak and hire a wojick asst coach?

They just need to quit sports and take up a hobby. Maybe photography or flower arrangement is more their thing. Or maybe this is where they should focus.

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/06/29/san-jose-state-team-wins-esports-event-in-santa-ana/

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

37 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

so it's been a week...what's up SJSU? y'all gonna hire Mike Davis or go all weak and hire a wojick asst coach?

SJSU isn't a private school which can pretty much do what it pleases. The California State University system has a required posting/applications period before candidates can even be interviewed. That doesn't mean back channel discussions might not occur during that posting/applications period* but there is no way anyone can be hired until that process has been complied with. IOW, nobody is going to be hired by SJSU for another few weeks.

* If where there's smoke, there's fire applies here, I've heard enough rumors over the years to say those back channel communications happen frequently and nobody should be fooled by ADs denying they have had such discussions. THEY undoubtedly haven't but that doesn't mean a search firm the school has hired hasn't had them with coaches' agents long before there are any interviews.

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SJSU isn't a private school which can pretty much do what it pleases. The California State University system has a required posting/applications period before candidates can even be interviewed. That doesn't mean back channel discussions might not occur during that posting/applications period* but there is no way anyone can be hired until that process has been complied with. IOW, nobody is going to be hired by SJSU for another few weeks.

* If where there's smoke, there's fire applies here, I've heard enough rumors over the years to say those back channel communications happen frequently and nobody should be fooled by ADs denying they have had such discussions. THEY undoubtedly haven't but that doesn't mean a search firm the school has hired hasn't had them with coaches' agents long before there are any interviews.

but normally there is some news...I mean, a business week into the Memphis coaching search we had a list of candidates. There was nothing formal from the UofM but it was well known that Marshall and Buzz Williams turned us down and there was mutual interest between Memphis and Tubby Smith, Jeff Capel, and Andy Kennedy. By day 7 we announced Tubby was being hired.

I just figured some news would have leaked.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Davis was asked about the SJSU rumors and his response was very non-committal IMHO.

“It’d take a miracle for me to get outta here.”

“Anything you want is here,”

"There’s gotta be something that I think, in my mind, can help my family. But my family has been treated first class here in Houston." 

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/07/17/mike-davis-addresses-san-jose-state-coaching-rumors/

he could have just said 'I'm not interested in SJSU and I'm only focusing on my team" or something like that...instead, he tap danced around the subject.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Davis was asked about the SJSU rumors and his response was very non-committal IMHO.

“It’d take a miracle for me to get outta here.”

“Anything you want is here,”

"There’s gotta be something that I think, in my mind, can help my family. But my family has been treated first class here in Houston." 

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/07/17/mike-davis-addresses-san-jose-state-coaching-rumors/

he could have just said 'I'm not interested in SJSU and I'm only focusing on my team" or something like that...instead, he tap danced around the subject.

That's some expert public negotiating on his part. He says his family "has been treated first-class here" and, in order for him to leave, the new job would have to "help my family." What, besides more money, would help his family? He's using the media to tell us he wants a better offer. Your move, SJ.

San José State's administration shd stay the course with the next basketball hire. Basketball as a revenue generator/promotion engine for atheltics is a complete myth. SJS's next basketball coach needs to come from a pool of coaches who would work the cheapest. Football is the only way up, and the only way out.

#NoShortCuts

12667677.jpeg

2 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

They're likely going to hire the interim. They're broke. 

I'm hearing that the assistant coach at DeAnza JC is the front runner. 

On 7/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, Rosegreen said:

What about rat face mclain that used to coach Wyo? Make the MwC more entertaining. 

Also, 330k isn't a lot of scratch in Silicon Valley, I'm not sure who will want the job. 

Does SJSU subsidize housing? $330K won't buy you a decent 2bd/2ba house in a good school district. Small houses in good neighborhoods fetch $1.5 million.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 7/10/2017 at 9:31 PM, mugtang said:

They can't afford Rice. 

They can afford Carter....he works for free. :angry:

7 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Does SJSU subsidize housing? $330K won't buy you a decent 2bd/2ba house in a good school district. Small houses in good neighborhoods fetch $1.5 million.

New coach will live in a dorm 

8 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

They're likely going to hire the interim. They're broke. 

wow...talk about unimpressive and cheap...I'd be very depressed if I were a SJSU fan.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

San Jose State has hired their new men's basketball coach. Chinese National Team Assistant Xu Xu Ping. Three year $50,000 contract  

gong-luming-head-coach-of-china-mens-nat

Congrats Sharta!!