Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

The what, where and how much for beer and wine sales at WYO football and basketball games

http://www.gowyo.com/news/beer-and-wine-to-be-sold-at-wyoming-home-football-and-basketball-games-in-2017-18-07-10-2017

BEER AND WINE TO BE SOLD AT WYOMING HOME FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL GAMES IN 2017-18

University of Wyoming Athletics will offer beer and wine for sale to fans at home football and basketball games beginning this coming season.  Beer and wine are being offered to enhance the game-day experience for fans, to heighten the pregame atmosphere in War Memorial Stadium and the Arena-Auditorium on game days by encouraging fans to enter the stadium earlier, to create a new revenue source for UW Athletics and to benefit from other positive effects that have been seen in other college athletic venues as alcohol sales have expanded the past several years.   

Benefits of Beer and Wine Sales
        Positive effects that the University of Wyoming is looking to create and that other universities have experienced from offering alcoholic beverages for sale in stadiums and arenas across the country: 
        •Enhancing fans’ overall experience at sporting events
        •Encouraging fans to enter venues early and help create a great pregame atmosphere  
        •Generating additional revenue for athletic departments
        •Creating a more responsible drinking environment 
        •Reducing binge drinking
        •Reducing the amount of concealed alcohol entering athletic venues

Enhancing the Game-day Experience
        Through fan surveys, many Wyoming fans have expressed their interest in purchasing alcoholic beverages at Wyoming Athletic events.  In UW Athletics’ ongoing desire to provide its fans with the best entertainment             atmosphere possible, it conducted extensive research to put a plan in place making beer and wine available on game days.  
        In order to make the first year of beer and wine sales as enjoyable as an experience as possible for fans, Wyoming Athletics has put the following plan in place for the 2017 Cowboy Football season in War Memorial             Stadium.
        For fans who want to be in an alcohol-free area on game days, Section AA on the west side of War Memorial Stadium will offer an alcohol-free section.

ID Screening and Wrist-Banding Stations
        •Create an easy ID screening and wrist-banding system.  Each fan wishing to purchase alcohol in the stadium on game days will have their ID checked verifying legal age and will be provided a wrist band for that                     game.
        •An ID/Wrist-Banding station will be available in the Pepsi Pregame Zone in the Indoor Practice Facility.  This station will allow fans to enter the stadium without having to go through an ID/Wrist-Banding Station at the            stadium gates.
        •Other ID/Wrist-Banding stations will be available at Gates 1, 3, 4 and 6 inside War Memorial Stadium.

Selling Locations
        •Beer and wine will be sold inside War Memorial Stadium beginning two (2) hours prior to kick off – when stadium gates open.
        •There will be 12 selling locations within War Memorial Stadium (3 on Upper East Concourse, 2 on Lower East, 3 on Upper West, 1 on Lower West and 3 in South End Zone Beer Garden area)
        •The South End Zone Beer Garden area will provide fans a chance to enjoy drinks with their friends from a field-level location while still having visibility of the field during the game.  (Due to bleachers being added in the           south end zone for the Oregon game, visibility from the Beer Garden for that game may be limited.)
        •Each selling location will have two serving lines -- one Cash Line and one Credit Card Line.  There will be three staff members at each selling location.
        •Each individual may purchase 2 drinks (beer or wine) per transaction.  
        •Each wrist band will have 4 pull-off tabs, allowing each patron to purchase a total of 4 drinks during one event.  In the circumstance of a football game followed by a basketball game individuals will be permitted to                  obtain one wristband at the football game and a wristband at the basketball game.  For a men’s/ women’s basketball doubleheader only one wristband will be permitted due to the short/condensed time frame of the                back-to-back games.
        •Pull off tabs will be for beer or wine purchases once an individual enters the stadium or arena.
        •Beer will be poured using the state-of-the-art “Bottoms Up” draft beer dispensing system, which fills through the bottom of specially designed plastic cups.  The “Bottoms Up” system offers extremely fast pouring and              minimal foam in each pour while more effectively utilizing (less waste) the beer from each keg. 
        •Sales of beer and wine will stop at the end of the 3rd quarter. 
        •Information gathered on fans from scanners that are part of the ID/Wrist-Banding stations will be deleted at the end of each game and will not be retained by the University of Wyoming.
         ATM Machines Being Added to War Memorial Stadium
        •For fans’ convenience, both UniWyo Federal Credit Union and Western States Bank will be installing ATM machines in War Memorial Stadium prior to the 2017 football season.

Products Offered and Pricing
        •There will be a variety of beer and wine available for purchase, including: Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Blue Moon, Black Tooth craft beer (Black Tooth Brewing Co. of Sheridan, Wyo.) and , Snake River craft beer          (Snake River Brewing of Jackson, Wyo.).
        •Beer and wine will be priced at $7 each.  Craft beer will be priced at $8 each.

SafeRide and Local Taxi Companies Available for Transportation
        •SafeRide, the on-call public transportation service, will be available on game days to serve the needs of fans.  Rides are offered to UW students, faculty, staff, and Laramie community members and visitors.  During              home football games, SafeRide will be located at Gate 1 (southwest corner) of War Memorial Stadium.  
         SafeRide’s service areas include the Laramie city limits. However, SafeRide will not pick up/drop off at specific locations within downtown Laramie. Riders wishing to be picked up/dropped off downtown will need to                utilize the SafeRide office located at 3rd Street & Garfield. There is no on-board fare for utilizing SafeRide.  Requesting a ride is simple.  Call 307-766-7433 (307-766-RIDE) or request your ride through the Transloc              Rider App.
        •Local taxi companies will also be available on game days, including Laramie Taxi (307-761-9891), Snowy Range Taxi (307-343-2323) and Yellow Checker Taxi (307-710-7177).

Rules Governing Beer and Wine Sales
        •Individuals must be 21 or older to purchase, possess or consume alcohol.
        •Patrons cannot bring their own alcohol into the stadium.
        •IDs must be checked and wristbands/hand stamps obtained before purchase of alcohol in the stadium.
        •Random ID checks may occur at beer and wine sales locations.
        •Each individual may purchase 2 drinks (beer or wine) per transaction.
        •Each wrist band will have 4 pull-off tabs, allowing each patron to purchase a total of 4 drinks during one day.  In the circumstance of a football game followed by a basketball game, individuals will be permitted to obtain          one wristband at the football game and a wristband at the basketball game.  For a men’s/ women’s basketball doubleheader only one wristband will be permitted due to the short/condensed time frame of the back-to-            back games.
        •There will be no re-entry to the stadium once patrons have entered the stadium on game days.
        •Sales of beer and wine will stop at the end of the 3rd quarter (football and women’s basketball) and at the 10-minute mark in the second half of men’s basketball games.
        •For fans who want to be in an alcohol-free area on game days, Section AA on the west side of War Memorial Stadium will offer an alcohol-free section.

2 minutes ago, Scooter said:

And an answer to what we are doing at our new stadium.  

A weak one at that.

Huh?

If you're talking about the beer garden, it has absolutely nothing to do with your new stadium. 

I am sure, sport.

The beer garden is a response to no longer allowing re-entry to the stadium. Since fans can no longer go out to their tailgates at halftime and come back in during the second half, the beer garden was proposed as an area where folks not seated together could still gather during the game, have a beer and continue to watch the action. Oh, and it's open to all ticketed fans, not just those willing to pony up extra for access.

If Wyoming felt the need to respond to CSU's new stadium, I suppose we could eliminate 95% of the parking around the stadium.

Those "Bottoms up" cups can be dangerous. Don't screw with the bottom of them lol. They have them in one bar at the Mack and I avoid them. WYO is putting some overhead into this with those cups and the wristbands.

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Those "Bottoms up" cups can be dangerous. Don't screw with the bottom of them lol. They have them in one bar at the Mack and I avoid them. WYO is putting some overhead into this with those cups and the wristbands.

The reasoning for going with Bottoms Up is that cups are filled much faster than with traditional taps, so there's less time spent in line. As for the wristbands and ID scanning tools, some of that cost, I believe, is offset by a grant from the state liquor division.

2 minutes ago, 307dude said:

The reasoning for going with Bottoms Up is that cups are filled much faster than with traditional taps, so there's less time spent in line. As for the wristbands and ID scanning tools, some of that cost, I believe, is offset by a grant from the state liquor division.

Seeing as how sales are limited to only 4 per person, there's not a huge advantage to pouring faster other than customer service. Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference in the time myself (probably only equates to fractions of a second), but they definitely produce less foam and waste in overpour to get rid of the foam. I have noticed, however, that its easy to dump the entire contents if you aren't careful. Plus, at least at the Mack, the cups are smaller than the traditional (bottoms up is 16 oz and traditional is 20 oz).

Anyway, good to see Wyo getting on the alchy bus. Hard liquor should be next. Would be better for the cold.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Seeing as how sales are limited to only 4 per person, there's not a huge advantage to pouring faster other than customer service. Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference in the time myself (probably only equates to fractions of a second), but they definitely produce less foam and waste in overpour to get rid of the foam. I have noticed, however, that its easy to dump the entire contents if you aren't careful. Plus, at least at the Mack, the cups are smaller than the traditional (bottoms up is 16 oz and traditional is 20 oz).

Anyway, good to see Wyo getting on the alchy bus. Hard liquor should be next. Would be better for the cold.

And you bring up yet another reason for the Bottoms Up selection, less waste. The athletic department had to compromise on cup size and the per-person sales limit to gain the support of some campus and community stakeholders prior to approval by the trustees.

27 minutes ago, 307dude said:

I am sure, sport.

The beer garden is a response to no longer allowing re-entry to the stadium. Since fans can no longer go out to their tailgates at halftime and come back in during the second half, the beer garden was proposed as an area where folks not seated together could still gather during the game, have a beer and continue to watch the action. Oh, and it's open to all ticketed fans, not just those willing to pony up extra for access.

If Wyoming felt the need to respond to CSU's new stadium, I suppose we could eliminate 95% of the parking around the stadium.

CSU announced 3 years ago we would be doing a beer garden (the only one in a college football stadium I might add) and suddenly Voila!!  wyo has a beer garden at the WaRp!! 

I can't wait to see this thing.  picnic tables with a Funnel Cake stand in the middle with a cheap looking beer stand.  but hey, at least your trying to keep up. 

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

5 minutes ago, Scooter said:

CSU announced 3 years ago we would be doing a beer garden (the only one in a college football stadium I might add) and suddenly Voila!!  wyo has a beer garden at the WaRp!! 

I can't wait to see this thing.  picnic tables with a Funnel Cake stand in the middle with a cheap looking beer stand.  but hey, at least your trying to keep up. 

Keeping up?

Everyone else in this league, sand SUDS and UNLV, have had on-campus stadiums for decades. 

And it certainly appears CSU won't be the only stadium with a beer garden, will they, sport.

14 minutes ago, 307dude said:

Keeping up?

Everyone else in this league, sand SUDS and UNLV, have had on-campus stadiums for decades. 

And it certainly appears CSU won't be the only stadium with a beer garden, will they, sport.

yes.  "keeping up" 

in other words "doing what we do"  Sorry you are having trouble.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

There has never been a shortage of liquor at the WAR.  Personally, I much prefer beer and glad that is finally coming to fruition.

27 minutes ago, 307dude said:

I'm having no trouble at all, sport. Above, I explained why Wyo is installing a beer garden in the War, and you seem to be the one having trouble with that explanation.

Exactly.  

Doing whatever we do.  It's not the first time.  Or the last..