Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

What if Trump ran and won as a Democrat

7 minutes ago, Mano said:

Depends on your perspective, one could say protected against a lunatic. I wish the GOP had super delegates.

No kidding.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, Mano said:

Political parties are free to choose their candidates as they wish.

Well aware.  I'm just as free to state my opinion on how screwed up the Democratic party is on this issue.  This is just one of many reasons why I likely will never be a Democrat.

1 minute ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Well aware.  I'm just as free to state my opinion on how screwed up the Democratic party is on this issue.  This is just one of many reasons why I likely will never be a Democrat.

Again, depends on perspective. Not having a failsafe to prevent someone like Trump seems screwed up in my opinion.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Just now, Mano said:

Again, depends on perspective. Not having a failsafe to prevent someone like Trump seems screwed up in my opinion.

Under the best of situations this is the upside of superdelegates.  But how about when it comes down to affecting change in the Democratic party?  Say there is a reasonable alternative candidate yet the establishment powers that be control 15-20% of the delegate pool and being able to override the rank and file vote is not something I am a fan of.  Now I'm not saying in my opinion Bernie was a reasonable alternative nor that he would have won if superdelegates were not free to vote independent of voters but he came damn close to testing this scenario.

40 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Bingo, the democratic primary was rigged for Clinton from the get go.

28 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Agreed.  Super delegates, quite possibly the most undemocratic entity in American politics but at least would have haulted the Trump sh*t show.

Do you guys know or care about the history of "super-delegates"? If so, you might understand how and why the system was put in place. I'm not a Democrat but it makes sense considering some of their past failures. 

Now if ya want to talk about phucked up systems, lets talk about stupid caucuses. 

4 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Under the best of situations this is the upside of superdelegates.  But how about when it comes down to affecting change in the Democratic party?  Say there is a reasonable alternative candidate yet the establishment powers that be control 15-20% of the delegate pool and being able to override the rank and file vote is not something I am a fan of.  Now I'm not saying in my opinion Bernie was a reasonable alternative nor that he would have won if superdelegates were not free to vote independent of voters but he came damn close to testing this scenario.

I don't know, the system worked okay in 2007-2008 when Obama overcame the "establishment" choice.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

How much negative coverage did obama get in the mainstream media?  He lied just as much, was just more eloquent about it. 

No he didn't. All politicians lie, but Trump will tell you the sky is green. False equivalence s like this is what enables Trump.

2 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

No, objective analysis has shown that literally no one lies "just as much" (although Obama certainly did lie). This is a whole new level.

He also didn't attack the news media every day. The combination of being the most incredible liar in the history of American politics and going kamikaze on every news platform in America has led to the treatment Trump is getting.

This is exactly right. It's not even a defense of Obama. It's that Trump is in a league of his own.

4 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

He'd never win a primary.

He would win a fair democratic primary.

The democrats had already crowned Hillary and she had the whole show decided 4 years a head of time.   Bernie would have beat her in a fair contest.

Trump would have destroyed them.

Trump would have been a hero in the Democratic Party...IMO he would have destroyed Hillary in a primary.  They all knew she was a shitty candidate.   Trump has enough progressive views he would have been welcomed with open arms. his most derogatory comments would have been hidden by the press.   

But right now, as hard as the Trump derangement syndrome took hold, there are only a handful of people who could discuss this w/o political bias.  2/3 of the electorate doesnt look any further than the D/R/I with the name. 

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Just poor white guys who use women and minorities to get elected pres as a dem.

FIFY

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Trump might not have won the Republican ticket if the primaries were like 6 months later.

The reason he even won the presidency is simply because Hillary was on the other side.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Trump might not have won the Republican ticket if the primaries were like 6 months later.

The reason he even won the presidency is simply because Hillary was on the other side.

I believe the bolded part is true. However, there seemed to be a few sane choices in the GOP primaries, and they never got anywhere. I would have happily voted for Kasich, but the guys talking about Trumps junk during the campaign were the only ones that got any coverage or votes, and Trump throttled them once they got in the gutter with him.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan