Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Should we ban kids from restaurants?

Loud, rude, crying poop machines.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ban all kids under 10 from restaurants, not counting fast food? Be honest.

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'm with you.  Two granddaughters, 10 and 11 months old. But I always was very conscious of making sure my children behaved in restaurants, and I know my daughters will as well. When we're out and one of the babies gets fussy, one of us takes it outside to distract it. SD is good too in that breastfeeding is no big deal.

What I really hate is the growing trend here of people bringing their dogs. Can't stand it. 

I know right? It's weird I've seen dogs at restaurants and home depot/Lowes. Watched a DOG fight at Lowes the other day. Why?

15 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I know right? It's weird I've seen dogs at restaurants and home depot/Lowes. Watched a DOG fight at Lowes the other day. Why?

Talked to a salesman at Ikea a while back. He said so many peope claim their animals as " companion" animals that the store is opened to lawsuit if they prohibit almost any animal.  He hates it as do I. 

Saw a actuall dog fight at Home Depot last month. Shit is out of hand

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

19 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I see dogs shit and piss in carts all the time at Walmart. Then parents put their little kids in the same carts.

There is a warm and fuzzy though for me the next time I go to the grocery store.......

5 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Depends on venue also.  I mean if you go to BJs or Red Robin and get pissed over all the families and kids running around, you are definitively an asshat.  But if i am at say Nora's trying to enjoy a nice romantic italian meal with my girl, not so cool. 

I agree with this.

31 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Talked to a salesman at Ikea a while back. He said so many peope claim their animals as " companion" animals that the store is opened to lawsuit if they prohibit almost any animal.  He hates it as do I. 

Saw a actuall dog fight at Home Depot last month. Shit is out of hand

My wife and I were in Santa Fe for our anniversary and a couple brought in a phucking chihuahua stating it was a service dog....then they both proceeded to stick their noses in their respective phones for the dinner.

It didn't ruin our evening but I admit they were a waste of human tissue.

I joked with the host on the way out and he said if someone brought a "burro" with a service vest on they would have to serve them.  That night I was far alt right and wanted ship all the cripples to an island.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'm with you.  Two granddaughters, 10 and 11 months old. But I always was very conscious of making sure my children behaved in restaurants, and I know my daughters will as well. When we're out and one of the babies gets fussy, one of us takes it outside to distract it. SD is good too in that breastfeeding is no big deal.

What I really hate is the growing trend here of people bringing their dogs. Can't stand it. 

I hear that.

And I know the thread was in jest.

i would just caution people on being reflex judgemental of parents when inconvenienced by kids.  I can take my 6 and 11 year old anywhere, with no concerns.  My four year old is a completely different situation.  And it takes a lot of pre event planning to manage it it sometimes, and to be honest sometimes it doesn't go as well as we'd like.

I've also coached siblings, where the sister was a joy to coach, and the son almost drove me out of coaching, I assume he is clinical ADHD, although I never discussed it with the parents, who were good to me and seemed to be good parents.

Not trying to get too serious, just saying you don't always know people's situation.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

I hear that.

And I know the thread was in jest.

i would just caution people on being reflex judgemental of parents when inconvenienced by kids.  I can take my 6 and 11 year old anywhere, with no concerns.  My four year old is a completely different situation.  And it takes a lot of pre event planning to manage it it sometimes, and to be honest sometimes it doesn't go as well as we'd like.

I've also coached siblings, where the sister was a joy to coach, and the son almost drove me out of coaching, I assume he is clinical ADHD, although I never discussed it with the parents, who were good to me and seemed to be good parents.

Not trying to get too serious, just saying you don't always know people's situation.

Oh I know. I'm not trying to be judgement at all. If anything, being a grandparent has brought me back closer to the parental reality. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

Please.  My daughter is 9 and well behaved. Just cause some parents can't keep control of their kids doesn't mean we should all be punished. 

Yes..  but since your daughter can not control your behavior...she is banned also. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Oh I know. I'm not trying to be judgement at all. If anything, being a grandparent has brought me back closer to the parental reality. 

Yah, I wasn't directing that at you,  or anyone else actually.  Like others have said, the venue is a huge deal, and that is something the parents can control in the case of a restaurant.  My wife took my older daughter to the nicest restaurant in town for her birthday for lunch today.  And I'm sure they loved having her.  We wouldn't, and shouldn't, take my youngest there.

Whats hard is things like recitals and ceremonies, because there, you don't get to pick the venue .  I've been on both sides.  Where I was irritated as hell with other people, and where I was embarrassed of our encroachment on other people.  A quick example, for my older daughters recital, we debated taking my younger daughter.  We knew how much she would love it and felt like she deserved to get to be a part of it.  During rehearsal I scouted out the theater for places to take my daughter and found we could access the balcony where no one else would be sitting.  my wife got there early with my 6 year old (who was performing) and my son and sat below in good seats, I timed it so my youngest and I got there just as the show was starting.  We went to the spot I had spotted, and for the most part it went well in this case.  My youngest loved it, danced to the routines, and hummed the songs while I shushed her throughout. But she has no volume control or social awareness.  In this instance it was fine, I think.  But it was still borderline.  And I could understand if another parent was annoyed, I would have been ten years ago.   

You wouldn't know by daughter is autistic unless you've spent time with her, so I'm sure people are thinking "dude, check your kid", with no clue how much we are trying to limit our infringement of their enjoyment of the evening.

That said, there are times you just can't bring special needs kids to events, because it's not fair to other people.  It's not always an easy judgement call.

I know I'm being a thread killer, it's just a relevant issue to me, so I hope you guys will indulge my pontification.

7 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Can't leave Fido in the car, what is a pet-dependent to do, leave Fido home alone?

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

In the same way Wyoming restaurants have smoking sections, the solution is "kids", or "non".

Wyoming restaurants still have smoking sections? No way!

On 7/4/2017 at 3:29 AM, modestobulldog said:

In the same way Wyoming restaurants have smoking sections, the solution is "kids", or "non".

On 7/4/2017 at 10:51 AM, toonkee said:

Wyoming restaurants still have smoking sections? No way!

On 7/4/2017 at 11:06 AM, HR_Poke said:

Not that I've seen. Unless you include outside as a smoking section.

On 7/4/2017 at 11:07 AM, toonkee said:

Okay thanks.

Yes, they do have indoor smoking sections, I had breakfast at this Greybull establishment last month.  Read the comments.

Uptown Cafe

https://www.yelp.com/biz/uptown-cafe-greybull?utm_source=ashare&ref=yelp-android

110926run_defense710.jpg

Oh, @halfmanhalfbronco, you are so wonderfully young! <3 One day you will find a nice girl and settle down. And then you'll find out how much fun it is to take your kids to really nice restaurants just to mess up some childless, neurotic thirty-something's evening.

In my experience, most of the anger people feel is their own insecurity about where they are in life and the fact that they can't hear themselves talking when a kid is competing with them for volume.

The rule of thumb is children who cannot feed themselves should not be in a restaurant with linen table cloths.  Parents who can't understand this have no common sense.  Pay for a goddamn babysitter for chrissakes.

3 hours ago, aztech said:

The rule of thumb is children who cannot feed themselves should not be in a restaurant with linen table cloths.  Parents who can't understand this have no common sense.  Pay for a goddamn babysitter for chrissakes.

nope

it's whether or not the establishment has a kids' menu

at that point, get pissed at the restaurant.  not us resource drainers with no class or sense of social propriety.