Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Manufactured vs True Rivals

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I really don't feel that Boise will ever have a real true "arch" rival. Idaho used to be it and it was a genuine rivalry, but that time has passed and it won't ever be revisited. That's one of the unfortunate biproducts of a progressive and upwardly mobile program with no real in-state rival. They belonged to four different conferences in a 15 year span (almost 5 had they stuck with the Big East). UNR, BYU, and Fresno mean something, but it won't ever be what a rivalry should be. 

Canned response straight from BroncoCountry...

On 7/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, youngrebelfan40 said:

UNLV/UNR is the best rivalry in the MWC by a mile and it's not even close 

Nevada vs Vegas has gotten better. In the 80s, Vegas wanted no part of it even though Nevada had the better football team. This rivalry will only get better as the number of students attending UNR from Vegas continues to explode.

The Boise/Nevada rivalry used to be a great one. Probably only behind the Boise/Idaho game in the Big Sky. But honestly, Boise has beaten the rivalry out of Nevada. It's still a matchup both programs look to as a game of note, but the luster is gone. But that's on Nevada, not Boise.

I think the best rivalry in the MWC is Wyo/CSU. It has everything you want in a rivalry. Proximity (with a border in between), history, and hatred. Again, having lived in Colorado the CU/CSU game was a manufactured rivalry IMO. CSU wanted this game badly, CU has always been in the "expected to win" shoes and until that flips it's hard for it to be a rivalry.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada vs Vegas has gotten better. In the 80s, Vegas wanted no part of it even though Nevada had the better football team. This rivalry will only get better as the number of students attending UNR from Vegas continues to explode.

The Boise/Nevada rivalry used to be a great one. Probably only behind the Boise/Idaho game in the Big Sky. But honestly, Boise has beaten the rivalry out of Nevada. It's still a matchup both programs look to as a game of note, but the luster is gone. But that's on Nevada, not Boise.

I think the best rivalry in the MWC is Wyo/CSU. It has everything you want in a rivalry. Proximity (with a border in between), history, and hatred. Again, having lived in Colorado the CU/CSU game was a manufactured rivalry IMO. CSU wanted this game badly, CU has always been in the "expected to win" shoes and until that flips it's hard for it to be a rivalry.

I think that a lot of the luster being gone from our rivalry isn't so much Nevada's fault as it is the horrible split in the MWC. When teams don't get to play every year it really diminishes the intensity.

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

It's not. It's impossible to have a rivalry with a school that plays in a lower division. Sorry, to be so blatantly truthful.

TBH, I really wish they hadn't canceled the annual basketball game at CenturyLink. That was my favorite game of the year. 

27 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It's not. It's impossible to have a rivalry with a school that plays in a lower division. Sorry, to be so blatantly truthful.

TBH, I really wish they hadn't canceled the annual basketball game at CenturyLink. That was my favorite game of the year. 

Only time you could grab a beer and watch the game.

51 minutes ago, bsubroncochick said:

I think that a lot of the luster being gone from our rivalry isn't so much Nevada's fault as it is the horrible split in the MWC. When teams don't get to play every year it really diminishes the intensity.

Not playing sucks, but the fact is we are 1 for the century so far against Boise. A rivalry needs to be competitive from time to time. At this point it's more of a feud until we start winning once in a while. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Well it's kinda hard to call someone you never play a rival. Current freshman at Boise state haven't seen the broncos play the vandals since they were 11 years old. 

16 minutes ago, Byutop25 said:

Well it's kinda hard to call someone you never play a rival. Current freshman at Boise state haven't seen the broncos play the vandals since they were 11 years old. 

Yet your smack board is essentially dedicated to the Vandals and you all take delight in any turn of bad luck we suffer.  The fixation is apparent.  shit, you won't even play us because you are scared of scoreboard before we drop down.  Straight. Up. Pussies.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Get yer Jegens-slathered high-five from BoiseStateWith-a-S and move along. The whole city of Boise is lathered a BSU/Idaho game - if the bowl can happen, why would you puss?

37 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Only time you could grab a beer and watch the game.

Yeah, we always grabbed a table or two up at Legends. $200 for 4 seats and you get table service. Totally worth it. 

Just now, VandalPride97 said:

Get yer Jegens-slathered high-five from BoiseStateWith-a-S and move along. The whole city of Boise is lathered a BSU/Idaho game - if the bowl can happen, why would you puss?

I'm all for. I don't have anything against it. I loved the rivalry. It just doesn't really exist anymore. They are just in completely different places heading in different directions. You can hide your head under the BC circle jerk rock all you want, but that's just the way it is. I miss it, but I'm also realistic. 

3 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Yup.  Good ol' fashioned hate right there.

Used to be a great rivalry. Back in the BSU vs UI rivalry days I used to feel bad for fans who didn't have a game like that to look forward to at the end of the year.  Unfortunately the UI administration didn't do what it needed to do to keep the program moving forward.  Now the programs are moving in the opposite direction.

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

We have been discussing program vs program rivalries, but sometimes you get coach vs coach rivalries that really get things heated for a few years.  What are some coaching rivalries that really stick out?  I am kind of thinking the whole howdy doody thing between Calhoun and DC.  Any others that come to mind?

19 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

We have been discussing program vs program rivalries, but sometimes you get coach vs coach rivalries that really get things heated for a few years.  What are some coaching rivalries that really stick out?  I am kind of thinking the whole howdy doody thing between Calhoun and DC.  Any others that come to mind?

Kind of need for the coaches to see each other on a repetitive basis for a coach rivalry.  There was some hard feelings with Calhoun and DC, but DC wasn't around long enough for it to become a real rivalry IMO.  Sonny had a great rivalry with Fisher Deberry.  They were competitive to a fault but both approached with an "aw shucks" good ol' boy attitude.  That really was a fun rivalry.  I think Sonny had a pretty good one going with Rocky when he was at UNM as well.  Since then we haven't kept a coach around long enough to develop a rivalry.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

tSUDSf has built a nice little world for himself.

When they suck, which is almost always, they are too cool to care about any "rivalry" they might lose. "Dude, we're from San D***o! Pshhh!"

In those rare times when stars align and the opposition can't figure out how to stop the four to five plays in Rocky Long's offensive playbook, they're too "next level" to be bothered.

Your success is meaningless, a sign of your limitations. Their success is omnipotent, and only points to SUDS P5 ascendency.

A sense of entitlement and arrogance that rivals Standferd. A detachment from reality that one ups the heyday of tBSUf. the only conclusion to be drawn is, that SUDS's main rival is its own self delusion

#WorstOfBothWorlds

Reaching to a new found planet void of logic. Lower Nevada.

9 hours ago, jimjam said:

Yeah that's why 65,000 fans were at the game last year and the year before.  As much as 76,000 have attended this game.

the largest crowds in the history of Folsom Field are CSU games.

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

Fleetwood Mac/ Bob Seger is CU rival.  - mwcboard

Just responding to a statement made by your boyfriend...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Yet your smack board is essentially dedicated to the Vandals and you all take delight in any turn of bad luck we suffer.  The fixation is apparent.  shit, you won't even play us because you are scared of scoreboard before we drop down.  Straight. Up. Pussies.

My smack board? My point was the current and new generation of broncos and vandals have no reason to dislike each other. There is no doubt Idaho is Boise states past rival but as far as present and future how can you call it a rivalry. Old guys on bronco country stirring  up old stores doesn't resonate with younger people and pass the rivalry forward.