Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Fox wants the Mountain West in 2019-20 tv package

25 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Dear SDSU,

What's it like to be second tier in the socio-political hierarchy despite recent success in football and basketball?

Signed,

The Front Range Schools That Actually Founded the Conference and Invited SDSU

We could be fifth-tier and would still hold more conference titles than the others.  How does it feel to be worse than SDSU?  It must not feel great to feel you are so much better than the one winning the conference your school helped found.:rotflmfao:

Guest Dr. Dre
1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

We could be fifth-tier and would still hold more conference titles than the others.  How does it feel to be worse than SDSU?  It must not feel great to feel you are so much better than the one winning the conference your school helped found.:rotflmfao:

I don't know, With SDSU, Boise State, and Colorado State leaving in a few years, that'll make 6 former champions gone. Maybe if enough leave, WHYome might finally win 1.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

I don't know, With SDSU, Boise State, and Colorado State leaving in a few years, that'll make 6 former champions gone. Maybe if enough leave, WHYome might finally win 1.

God Allen will be gone next year, they better get the winning in now.

Guest Dr. Dre
1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

After you leave are you going to chicken out and beg to come back to the MW like you did last time?

nope. we already made the mistake of returning to C-USA. won't make the same mistake with FCS

1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

I don't care if SDSU stays or goes..San Diego is a nice town but Nevada has played college sports for more than 100 years without sharing a conference with you guys..I wish you well..But life goes on..

Feeling is mutual, although I enjoy playing Nevada.

Guest Dr. Dre
9 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

.I wish you well..But life goes on..

Now here is a well thought out response. Aslo-wittedgreenguy could take a lesson from you. FCS won't be all that bad. You guys have done it before.

@Aslowhiteguy

If it is FCS I will still like Nevada more than SDSU..I don't get all this validation you crave based upon games played by young guys you don't even know..If SDSU moves on or stays you will still be the same dude.. 

Guest Dr. Dre
2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

If it is FCS I will still like Nevada more than SDSU..I don't get all this validation you crave based upon games played by young guys you don't even know..If SDSU moves on or stays you will still be the same dude.. 

Another fine retort.

As for the other, I just want my institution to play at the highest level of athletics is all. 

A fine goal..I admire your your dedication..but I mostly just enjoy your neener neener neener posts like SDSU is some massive but sadly misunderstood juggernaut of greatness..That is quite entertaining in a weird way..You have a nice MW program going on but that ain't exactly a high hurdle..But I think you are special..Isn't that enough...

Guest Dr. Dre
3 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

.But I think you are special..Isn't that enough...

well, that's very nice of you, but no it's not. Separating ourselves from the turds in this bowl will do. Happening soon enough. I'm just preparing everyone.

6 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I think the leap to independence is improbable but not impossible.  I'm not trying to troll by wanting to get some of the presumptions underlying this discussed.

Certainly the agreement gives a big incentive for SDSU to not schedule an FCS school.  If SDSU wants to play a schedule with more Power 5 schools on it they have no reason to wait for independence to do so.

The purchase of the property that the city council of San Diego could identify as surplus (Mission Valley's 166 acres plus a few other 20 acre + sites) is a significant outlay of capital even with the aid of the entire Cal State systems capital funds and uncertainty about revenue is something that would make independence less likely.

However, a complete purchase could be with the current Qualcomm in tact and completely owned by Cal State/SDSU.  There might be extensive renovations that could be done that would be cheaper because it could leave the fundamentally okay building and field in tact.

I also think that Fox, as the network who had the primary tv contract with the Big 12, has the most influence on that conference's expansion process in 2023-24. Fox has given itself an automatic way to address both Big 12 expansion and independence with that clause.

At the very least, SDSU is going to want to stick around until at least 2024 before determining whether to go independent.  right now they have SJSU and Fresno State's additional votes to give direction to Craig Thompson so he works for them now.  It's basically the Texas situation the Big 12 has now already (with Boise State being the Oklahoma in this analogy).

Hey, UCLA has a vested interest in SDSU having a great home stadium in 2020 because we are coming down there to pop the cherry on your place for a likely 21st straight win.  That will be a whole lot of fun after getting number 20 in Pasadena in 2019.

Ultimately, Big 12 membership is way better than independence.  SDSU runs the MW with SJSU and FSUs' votes in their pocket.

Given the state of the Cal State Budget and the amount of deferred maintanence already at other Cal State Schools, what makes you think the Cal State system would fund that project.  Especially when peer schools are funding their stadium enhancements with donated money.  

Here are the trustees.  

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/meet-the-board-of-trustees

what in their bios and regional connections makes you think they would vote to fund a stadium for SDSU? 

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Right now Fox has every reason to replace CBS as the primary rights holder of the MW.

The agreement Boise state signed with the MW created a bonus structure that everyone in the conference got and the ESPN package has averaged about $6 million.

CBS has paid 12 million for the rights for the MW.  The CBS agreement was mostly negotiated without SDSU or Boise State so overall the dynamics favored CBS more than what they have actually gotten, especially in terms of SDSU.

Fox and ESPN are the two people who you want most to be fighting about your tv broadcasting rights.  The medium-long game is too get past the expiration and then approach Fox before letting ESPN know what Window 4 number would cause serious consideration for the MW.

And what do you do with Boise that will undermine a move every step of the way?  Boise gets no bonus payments for Fox Sports net and Fox isn't putting them on its OTA channel?   Not to mention the drop in exposure Boise would see.   

ESPN will be happy to let Fox have the role of CBS while it holds the rights to Boise and BYU.   Especially with MWC teams scheduling BYU right and left. 

5 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

my best guess would be they are thinking about the Pac 12, Big 12 and Big Ten contracts that Fox has.  Fox walked away from CUSA. 

The article certainly would have benefited from an editor in that case.

The only interesting point is who holds the rights to Boise for streaming?  Conceivably we could cut the cord and own all of Boise's digital rights.  We sell those rights to Yahoo or Comcast and to protect them refuse to agree to any television package.   Boise extracts no extra value from the conference.   

I could see the Boise deal as a big motivator why we might cut the cord and go completely digital.