Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: Would You Compromise?

Would you be willing to compromise healthcare for guns?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If a consensus could be reached to implement universal healthcare as long as there would be no further bans or restrictions on gun ownership, would you compromise?

• Yes - I'm willing to give up one issue for the other
    • No - I would never compromise on either issue
    • I would just do whatever the DNC or RNC instructs me to do

Would you be willing to give on one issue to gain on the other? It's a theoretical question so don't get all weedy and literal. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

28 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You created a poll with two options... that seems really low. I'm confused.

:P 

Okay, I added a third choice. :) 

Thanks for taking the time to answer this poll. In my opinion, these are the two most contentious issues in American politics and how you answer says a lot about where we are as a country IMO.

28 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

This would be a good compromise - If everyone had access to healthcare, then the constant flood of shooting victims (from self inflicted to criminal use) would have healthcare

Beat me to it

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

This would be a good compromise - If everyone had access to healthcare, then the constant flood of shooting victims (from self inflicted to criminal use) would have healthcare

I can just see your paycheck getting smaller and smaller because of the taxes needed to pay for it.,. ? 

kat.jpg

Guest RoscoesDad

Right because wanting healthcare for all regardless of ability to pay, is totally equivilent to opening up laws that allow people to open carry any type of weapon they want ie bazookas and grenades and 50 cals, anywhere they want.  

The mind of a fox n friends viewer is seriosuly a weird thing.  Nice poll. 

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I can just see your paycheck getting smaller and smaller because of the taxes needed to pay for it.,. ? 

Either way - society pays a huge cost for gun related injuries - on top of all the other uninsured injuries.

Hospitalizations from gunshot wounds cost $700 million a year, study says

In an average week, about 1,565 patients across the country are treated in an emergency department for a firearm-related injury. The study, published in the American Journal of Public Health on Tuesday, showed that between 2006 and 2014, the costs and financial burden of firearm injuries reached a total of $6.61 billion -- and that was just for initial hospitalizations. The researchers found that a total of 267,265 patients were admitted for firearm-related injuries from 2006 through 2014, and the cost of initial hospitalizations for their injuries averaged $734.6 million per year.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/health/gun-violence-hospital-costs-study/index.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-how-much-gun-injuries-cost-the-us-every-year-2017-03-22

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/03/23/gun-injuries-cost-us-6-billion-over-9-years/22009010/

The majority of these costs are stuck on county hospitals that are taxpayer funded..........so to worry about taxes going up is a bit late in the game 

And due to the ACA & more people being covered, the county run hospital here in LV has finally gotten into the black financially.

In 2002 University Medical Center lost more than $20 milliona year later it was losing money at a rate of more than $2 million per month.
By 2011 it had posted three straight years of operating losses exceeding $70 million annually and Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak — tired of the county ponying up subsidies as high as $100 million a year for the hospital— said it was possible UMC would have to close.
Three years later the public hospital not only had to borrow $45 million in emergency loans from Clark County just to make payroll, it also saw three different CEOs try to stop the financial hemorrhaging.

So chances are better than good that if someone told you today that the taxpayer-supported medical center is operating in the black you’d be far more than a tad skeptical.
But it’s true. I’ve seen UMC’s numbers. From July 2015 through April 2016, the income from operations revenue, less expenses, is more than $32 million. During the same time frame last year, the hospital ran a $35 million loss.
At the end of the fiscal year on June 30, UMC CEO Mason VanHouweling — who took over the top leadership spot at the end of 2014 — projects the hospital will be $35 million in the black.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/paul-harasim/umc-does-financial-about-face/

Taxpayers have been footing the bill for years to cover uninsured patients, either directly thru local & state taxes or thru higher premiums and charges from health care providers 

And guess where most of the gun shot cases get sent..........it's to county run hospitals because the for profit hospitals don't want them 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Hospitalizations from gunshot wounds cost $700 million a year, study says

In an average week, about 1,565 patients across the country are treated in an emergency department for a firearm-related injury. The study, published in the American Journal of Public Health on Tuesday, showed that between 2006 and 2014, the costs and financial burden of firearm injuries reached a total of $6.61 billion -- and that was just for initial hospitalizations. The researchers found that a total of 267,265 patients were admitted for firearm-related injuries from 2006 through 2014, and the cost of initial hospitalizations for their injuries averaged $734.6 million per year.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/health/gun-violence-hospital-costs-study/index.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-how-much-gun-injuries-cost-the-us-every-year-2017-03-22

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/03/23/gun-injuries-cost-us-6-billion-over-9-years/22009010/

The majority of these costs are stuck on county hospitals that are taxpayer funded..........so to worry about taxes going up is a bit late in the game 

And due to the ACA & more people being covered, the county run hospital here in LV has finally gotten into the black financially.

In 2002 University Medical Center lost more than $20 milliona year later it was losing money at a rate of more than $2 million per month.
By 2011 it had posted three straight years of operating losses exceeding $70 million annually and Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak — tired of the county ponying up subsidies as high as $100 million a year for the hospital— said it was possible UMC would have to close.
Three years later the public hospital not only had to borrow $45 million in emergency loans from Clark County just to make payroll, it also saw three different CEOs try to stop the financial hemorrhaging.

So chances are better than good that if someone told you today that the taxpayer-supported medical center is operating in the black you’d be far more than a tad skeptical.
But it’s true. I’ve seen UMC’s numbers. From July 2015 through April 2016, the income from operations revenue, less expenses, is more than $32 million. During the same time frame last year, the hospital ran a $35 million loss.
At the end of the fiscal year on June 30, UMC CEO Mason VanHouweling — who took over the top leadership spot at the end of 2014 — projects the hospital will be $35 million in the black.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/paul-harasim/umc-does-financial-about-face/

Taxpayers have been footing the bill for years to cover uninsured patients, either directly thru local & state taxes or thru higher premiums and charges from health care providers 

And guess where most of the gun shot cases get sent..........it's to county run hospitals because the for profit hospitals don't want them 

Total annual medical costs to the economy...$3.2 trillion.  $700 million = .021875% of total annual medical expenditures in the United States. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Total annual medical costs to the economy...$3.2 trillion.  $700 million = .021875% of total annual medical expenditures in the United States. 

Small % if those numbers a real..........I would have guessed more than $700M per year if I had to guess.............Still the fact is that is $700M that is added to the rest of the uninsured ............wonder how much of that $3.2T is foisted on taxpayers due to indigent & uninsured going to emergency rooms 

3 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

I think this is a false premise based on the assumption that everyone who would like some kind of system that gives access to medical care to all Americans, also wants to take people's guns away. And visa versa.

I know several people who are gun owners and also want a single payer healthcare system............the two aren't as polarized as one would think. Same if you switched out guns for abortions - Again if abortion was made illegal, it would still happen and at least the people would have coverage from what damage is done 

Fun irony is..........Gun laws won't stop people/criminals from getting guns............but making abortion illegal will suddenly stop every abortion in the country - NO gun law will stop anything, but banning abortion will bring it to an immediate end !!! 

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

Right because wanting healthcare for all regardless of ability to pay, is totally equivilent to opening up laws that allow people to open carry any type of weapon they want ie bazookas and grenades and 50 cals, anywhere they want.  

The mind of a fox n friends viewer is seriosuly a weird thing.  Nice poll. 

Did you even read the op? My dick, your mouth. Make it happen.

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

I would just do whatever the DNC instructs me to do.

We know Jack.

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

I think this is a false premise based on the assumption that everyone who would like some kind of system that gives access to medical care to all Americans, also wants to take people's guns away. And visa versa.

Hello, are you new here?

This here is a classic @BSUTOP25 poll; it's his thing.