Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

MW Board consensus: Upcoming tv contract value

Right now we get $18MM/year.

Will we get even $24MM/yr in the upcoming?  That's a 33% increase.  Which is way more than inflation rate, even the much bigger higher  education inflation rate.

So wouldn't $24/MM be very good, considering?

What do you think we will get?  Will Boise still get special treatment?  Is Boise's special treatment independent of the current tv contract or is it negotiated in the upcoming contract as well?

I'm hoping for at least $24MM.  But not confident we will even get more than the $18MM we get currently.

My Dream...."AT&T College Sports Network, featuring the American and Mountain West conferences".

~ FF

I think the MWC is in a unique position as we can fill later time slots for ESPN, CBS, etc.  They need content at 7/8/9pm Pacific.  I think we will get $28million a year. Because why not?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

24 is 50% more than 18?

He's a Fresno fan.  Math is hard for them, especially @Dogs4Me.

For those wondering its 33% more. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Please, not CBSSN. Beyond that, I think we will see a modest increase, maybe 15%. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

If there is an increase I wouldn't expect to see a big one, I would think a small one. Really right now MW doesn't offer anything to ESPN where they would see they would have to pay more for it personally. Also ESPN probably knows that MW doesn't have much of a back up plan other than CBSSN. So again if it is an increase I think it will be a small one. Maybe $20-$22 million. Anything more would be surprised if they do an increase

they will go with the mountain west network next time and do a streaming deal

the games start too late on espn and cbs and there is more money by starting games earlier in my opinion starting a game at 9:00 is too late

17 minutes ago, wyochris said:

they will go with the mountain west network next time and do a streaming deal

the games start too late on espn and cbs and there is more money by starting games earlier in my opinion starting a game at 9:00 is too late

Good point.  Wasn't there some MW presidents recently voicing there distaste for our start times. 

Again, an ATT College Sports Network on Directv and ATT streaming services (think:  WatchESPN) that had the American and MW as their main enchilada - since P5 content is swallowed up by current big corporate sports networks - would be a welcome surprise.  We'd be to ATT what the fledgling BigEast was to the upstart ESPN.  If aac and MW are their main enchilada, then we'd get the start times we want.

~ FF

Small increase with fewer games televised, more flexibility to stream many games, and some guarantees on start times is what I think comes out of the new deal

Guest Dr. Dre
1 minute ago, FresnoFanatic said:

Yeah, I'm sorry man.  But I don't think the conference will change its rules for SDSU when they drop football. :(

LOL

We'll be playing Independent football in our new stadium on our Western Campus while Fresneck is playing for peanuts and still losing to San Suck State. BUH bye

I mean, you really have to take in to account the market we're facing right now.  ESPN has been cutting costs like crazy, so it's hard to think that they'll be giving out any sort of increase.  However, they're overpaying much more for P5 content from teams like Purdue and Wake Forest significantly, so I'd think the big conferences would be taking a bath if we're still in this type of mindset when their rights come up in 7 or 8 years.  They're really paying Purdue for the rare time that Ohio State shows up to play there.  

So, I can't see them giving out huge increases in the next few years, but I could see it getting a small increase, 10-15% maybe at most.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I'd be surprised if we get an increase in this declining TV revenue environment.  ESPN wants inventory and the MW can really only provide later games that MW schools don't want to play.  ESPN won't increase the contract amount to put us in the same time slots as P5 teams on ESPNU or ESPN3 when they are paying to put P5 on 1 and 2.  

The MW will probably look more at streaming on MWCDN and other platforms.  I just don't see a Hulu or Amazon paying premium money for the MW.  Not enough people will add subscriptions because of the MW to justify a large payday.  

As usual, dumb dumb Hair is going to sell out to ESPN even with their shaky financially situation.  He's always been an easy mark for them.  A smart negotiator would have ESPN and CBSSN as equals.  Don't let one have priority rights over the other. We're the other live West Coast content that they both need to fill.        

25 minutes ago, aztech said:

As usual, dumb dumb Hair is going to sell out to ESPN even with their shaky financially situation.  He's always been an easy mark for them.  A smart negotiator would have ESPN and CBSSN as equals.  Don't let one have priority rights over the other. We're the other live West Coast content that they both need to fill.        

We should really be negotiating with NBC too.