Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

MW Board consensus: Upcoming tv contract value

5 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

LOL. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME.

THE AAC IS GETTING P5 LEVEL EXPOSURE. THE MWC IS RELEGATED TO FACEBOOK.

Serious question.  Did Aresco give the members their 3rd tier rights?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, FresnoFanatic said:

Right now we get $18MM/year.

Will we get even $24MM/yr in the upcoming?  That's a 33% increase.  Which is way more than inflation rate, even the much bigger higher  education inflation rate.

So wouldn't $24/MM be very good, considering?

What do you think we will get?  Will Boise still get special treatment?  Is Boise's special treatment independent of the current tv contract or is it negotiated in the upcoming contract as well?

I'm hoping for at least $24MM.  But not confident we will even get more than the $18MM we get currently.

My Dream...."AT&T College Sports Network, featuring the American and Mountain West conferences".

LOL!!! FRESNOFANATIC IS A COM-E-DIAN

BAC1gtT.jpg

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

On 8/26/2017 at 5:57 PM, AztecSU said:

It's funny, I remember something about exposure? Didn't know you meant only to ESPN subscribers, who care enough to pull up the ESPN3 stream. Figured things would improve in week 2, but just appears to be more of the same. Don't get me wrong, I think AAC has a lot of advantages. Bigger citities, enrollments, etc. But pretending we don't currently have different versions of a similar tv contract is just dumb.

Allowing ESPN to stream games on ESPN3 is of no benefit to AAC/MW or anyone else if EXPOSURE is part of the endgame. At that point twitter or Facebook makes way more sense. It can be shared and viewed without limit, and at the very least without a subscription. 

2017-08-26_1552.png

you know little about the AAC tv deal  if you think this 

we have guaranteed minimums on every channel...we just dont get to choose when it used...the first 3 weeks of the season college football has tons of crazy matchups based on these "kickoff classics"...there are a ton better games to air that AAC vs bad g5/fcs...espn will use our minimums other weeks

Michigan/cincy will be on ABC and UH vs arizona will likely be on espn2 or u depending on how we play week 1...what other games here are even note worthy enough to be televised ..ucf v memphis? maybe, but ucf as 6-7 last year

comparing tv deals :

Broadcast Minimum (ABC/CBS): AAC 4 (abc has done atleast 5 since deal started); MWC 0

ESPN/ESPN2: AAC: 25+, MWC: 7

other notes: 100% of every AAC vs AAC will be televised on some national network (90% of all games)...the 10% not picked will be put on ASN (american sports network. a national syndication network). ASN collectively is in 85million homes, its different because each individual market/channel decides if it wants to air the game..but will also nationally available on espn3 (it isnt just sepn3)...there are mwc games that even espn3 won't even pick up and aired on the mwc website/campus insiders

(thats football alone, basketball 107 games will be nationally broadcast, 5 on either abc or cbs...)

talking purely exposure the AAC deal is only marginally worse than the ACC..the deal has way more guaranteed minimum than any previous AQ big east..wvu/ecu is Big 12 control, note how wvu is top 22 vs a fbs but playing on fs2 ..the by far worst cfb sports network (except maybe bein)..everyone in the p5 isn't espn/abc every week

the exposure in our deals are miles apart..

and a random side note: twitter has been airing college football games since last year (via campus insiders) how many did you randomly just watch ..how many random espn3 games did you watch..im not sure at this point twitter/facebook is better ...

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, AztecSU said:

It's funny, I remember something about exposure? Didn't know you meant only to ESPN subscribers, who care enough to pull up the ESPN3 stream. Figured things would improve in week 2, but just appears to be more of the same. Don't get me wrong, I think AAC has a lot of advantages. Bigger citities, enrollments, etc. But pretending we don't currently have different versions of a similar tv contract is just dumb.

Allowing ESPN to stream games on ESPN3 is of no benefit to AAC/MW or anyone else if EXPOSURE is part of the endgame. At that point twitter or Facebook makes way more sense. It can be shared and viewed without limit, and at the very least without a subscription. 

2017-08-26_1552.png

Might not want to look at week 3 then 

12 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Might not want to look at week 3 then 

Why? Only real difference from what I can tell is the AAC hasn't wised up to the folley of ESPN3 yet. Seems each conference has about 2 rate able (games on national level broadcasts) per week. Differences are minor, when compared to the natural advantages the AAC has considering populations and enrollments. Of course I've been arguing from the beginning that the AAC won't truly be better until it poaches 2 or more MW teams. 

2017-08-28_1026.png

2017-08-28_1026_001.png

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Why? Only real difference from what I can tell is the AAC hasn't wised up to the folley of ESPN3 yet. Seems each conference has about 2 rate able (games on national level broadcasts) per week. Differences are minor, when compared to the natural advantages the AAC has considering populations and enrollments. Of course I've been arguing from the beginning that the AAC won't truly be better until it poaches 2 or more MW teams. 

2017-08-28_1026.png

2017-08-28_1026_001.png

ESPNU is very much a national broadcast

30 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

ESPNU is very much a national broadcast

Technically, but that would ignore how bad the average ratings are on ESPNU...take a look. Honestly, if there is a substantial difference between ESPNU/News and CBSSN I am not aware of it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

50 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Technically, but that would ignore how bad the average ratings are on ESPNU...take a look. Honestly, if there is a substantial difference between ESPNU/News and CBSSN I am not aware of it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

look at the ACC tv deal, look at AAC tv deal and then look at the MWC....you saying its minor is completely inaccurate....65% of mwc games are on cbssn, 10% on a espn tv netwrok (never on abc, almost never on espn),15% on espn3, and 10% on whatever digital platform will air it

the AAC is 75% on an espntv network (with minimum guarantees on every channel) 15% on cbssn, 10% on espn3/ASN dualcast...

also noting that cbssn has similar ratings to espnnews, even though espnnews is marginally better (but not by much), but espnu completely dominates cbssn in ratings its not even close ...cbssn averages around 40-80k viewers a games, espnu is 180-400k per game..their is  reason sec put it in contract that no sec game can ever be put on cbssn 

i just checked the acc ..they have 2 Saturday games that are ACC controlled (acc home team) that air on a espn2 or higher network, both are Clemson in the same 2 weeks you are showcasing for the AAC..2 others in general, but those are weekday games. the vast majority is on the ACC syndicate network (air on local channels in the ACC footprint)..there are more nationally broadcast aac  controlled games than acc controlled ..talking pure exposure our deal is very similar to p5 deal, that why aresco has said he doesnt want to change a single thing about our espn deal except for money 

you know little about tv deals..you assume its only good exposure if ever single team is on espn, when most p5 dont even get that..

10 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

BSU needs to win a bunch of games and get a big bowl again so we can demand 70% of the tv revenue from the new contract. 

And that would be a huge detriment to the conference. The 11 other conference presidents won't agree to that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, pesik said:

look at the ACC tv deal, look at AAC tv deal and then look at the MWC....you saying its minor is completely inaccurate....65% of mwc games are on cbssn, 10% on a espn tv netwrok (never on abc, almost never on espn),15% on espn3, and 10% on whatever digital platform will air it

the AAC is 75% on an espntv network (with minimum guarantees on every channel) 15% on cbssn, 10% on espn3/ASN dualcast...

also noting that cbssn has similar ratings to espnnews, even though espnnews is marginally better (but not by much), but espnu completely dominates cbssn in ratings its not even close ...cbssn averages around 40-80k viewers a games, espnu is 180-400k per game..their is  reason sec put it in contract that no sec game can ever be put on cbssn 

i just checked the acc ..they have 2 Saturday games that are ACC controlled (acc home team) that air on a espn2 or higher network, both are Clemson in the same 2 weeks you are showcasing for the AAC..2 others in general, but those are weekday games. the vast majority is on the ACC syndicate network (air on local channels in the ACC footprint)..there are more nationally broadcast aac  controlled games than acc controlled ..talking pure exposure our deal is very similar to p5 deal, that why aresco has said he doesnt want to change a single thing about our espn deal except for money 

you know little about tv deals..you assume its only good exposure if ever single team is on espn, when most p5 dont even get that..

You can talk all you want about "ESPN" games. The only ones that matter are ESPN and ESPN2, everything is cut rate with a steep drop in viewership. In that regard the AAC and MW are nearly the same. 

Keep in mind, if there is someone on this board that has regularly agreed the AAC is better off its me...but I still don't buy into nonsensical bs. Both conferences are paid about the same to have about the same amount of Tier1 games...

On 8/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, FormerFrog said:

LOL! The AAC/B1G/ACC/B12/SEC/Pac already are in deals.

The AAC doesn't want any part of this CUSA/MWC action.

Hey, I just saw this out there...

One-Of-These-Things-Is-Not-Like-The-Othe

One of these things is not like the others...................................

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

31 minutes ago, WilliamHicks said:

BSU needs to win a bunch of games and get a big bowl again so we can demand 70% of the tv revenue from the new contract. 

That's probably not a good idea if you want to have a solvent league going forward.  You're already disadvantaging your conference partners with the current setup, and the league isn't even getting what it signed up for with regards to that because you don't dominate this league like you did the WAC.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

You can talk all you want about "ESPN" games. The only ones that matter are ESPN and ESPN2, everything is cut rate with a steep drop in viewership. In that regard the AAC and MW are nearly the same. 

Keep in mind, if there is someone on this board that has regularly agreed the AAC is better off its me...but I still don't buy into nonsensical bs. Both conferences are paid about the same to have about the same amount of Tier1 games...

its defintely not black and white...espnu has lots of games over 400k viewers....cbsports doesnt touch that amount or even close...i wont acknowledge that 300k/400k is the same as 70/80k. which is around where cbssports gets ... the sec has numerous games on espnu. but wont put any on cbssports that should let you know 

and last year the AAC had 5 abc games, the mwc  had zero broadcast games ..the AAC had 7 espn games...the mwc had 2.....the aac was way more espn2 game, and drastically more if you remove boise,

instead of looking for specifics weak look at the whole season:

this is what a top team in the AAC's tv schedule will look like

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-houston-cougars-football-schedule.php

this is what boise will looks like (different from the rest of the mwc)

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-boise-state-broncos-football-schedule.php

this is what the top in mwc not Boise will look like:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-san-diego-state-aztecs-football-schedule.php

one of these is drastically better than the others, one is drastically worse than the others