Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

MW Board consensus: Upcoming tv contract value

SDSU can't do independence.  The one SDSU president who cared about expanding athletics has retired and his fifteen year tenure stands out because no chancellor before or since is likely to have anywhere near the success he had.  No CSU chancellor will let SDSU +++++ over San Jose State and Fresno State because "they suck".  The world doesn't work that way.

A big 12 invite is the one option that wouldn't get vetoed by a Chancellor.  Anything else is a fantasy.

1 minute ago, Dr. Dre said:

Both in  west 

We've been conference mates for a long time.  If CSU and SDSU were in a different conference together in the future...I'm good with that.

Guest Dr. Dre
43 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

playing basketball in the BWC or the WAC is hardly a big step up.

At WORST it's s lateral step, and depending on who joins, a better step. Independent football, or AAC/Big 12 football membership in ANY capacity is exponentially better

14 minutes ago, jimjam said:

SDSU could do independence.  CSU cannot.

This is still a few years down the road...CSU will either be AAC or B12 (possibly depleted) but likely wont be here.  If SDSU bails for independence, CSU will leave faster than after a bad fart clears the room.

Indy is not that great for a school like CSU, your schedule will be full of schools no better than what the MWC offer's. your T.V. exposure and revenue will not increase. CSU has a chance to move up if you follow the Utah blue print.

Guest Dr. Dre
2 minutes ago, jimjam said:

We've been conference mates for a long time.  If CSU and SDSU were in a different conference together in the future...I'm good with that.

As am I. There's only a couple of schools that I'd be okay with moving forward. Colorado State is one 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

At WORST it's s lateral step, and depending on who joins, a better step. Independent football, or AAC/Big 12 football membership in ANY capacity is exponentially better

I do not view the BWC or Wac as a lateral move with current membership, if membership in the B-12 or AAC is offered perhaps that maybe a improvement depending on their membership at the time. The best way to P-5 membership is to do what Utah and Tcu did. I think a P-5 membership for SDS is possible if your school builds a stadium, and wins a lot in the future, going indy will not help to reach those goals.

9 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Indy is not that great for a school like CSU, your schedule will be full of schools no better than what the MWC offer's. your T.V. exposure and revenue will not increase. CSU has a chance to move up if you follow the Utah blue print.

I think that is what CSU is doing.  CSU has a big opportunity now with the recent commitment to football and must produce a winner/sell tickets.

CSU and Utah are academic peers, the only difference is Utah is in a metro area with No pro team to compete against.   Obviously, there is BYU but clearly they won't be going to the PAC any time soon.

2 minutes ago, jimjam said:

I think that is what CSU is doing.  CSU has a big opportunity now with the recent commitment to football and must produce a winner/sell tickets.

CSU and Utah are academic peers, the only difference is Utah is in a metro area with No pro team to compete against.   Obviously, there is BYU but clearly they won't be going to the PAC any time soon.

I believe that CSU has a chance for a membership in the B-12 in the future if you do what you have posted. Going indy will not help in that goal 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

As am I. There's only a couple of schools that I'd be okay with moving forward. Colorado State is one 

In a nutshell, how do you see the process of your new stadium going down?

I know you've already discussed in other threads but I don't feel like plowing through those.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, ole blu dude said:

I believe that CSU has a chance for a membership in the B-12 in the future if you do what you have posted. Going indy will not help in that goal 

Agree.  I don't recall saying CSU should go Indy.

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

SDSU can't do independence.  The one SDSU president who cared about expanding athletics has retired and his fifteen year tenure stands out because no chancellor before or since is likely to have anywhere near the success he had.  No CSU chancellor will let SDSU +++++ over San Jose State and Fresno State because "they suck".  The world doesn't work that way.

A big 12 invite is the one option that wouldn't get vetoed by a Chancellor.  Anything else is a fantasy.

Hmmm, 15 years? Wrong. Hmmm, won't let them leave? Like the last time when we were going to the big east? Wrong. I knew you weren't really a bruin but now I know for sure. 

Part of the reason SDSU fans are feeling froggy about going Indy is the fact that Fox Sports is obviously very interested in our broadcasting rights. IMO being part of a conference provides more meaning to the regular season, but if that means slowly starving to death due to affiliation a tough choice will need to be made. 

Watching the AAC be aggressive, throw PR campaigns(regardless how you feel about the P6 stickers), making adventageous additions (shockers), while the MW just watches is pretty frustrating. Swinging for the fences is better than not swinging at all. 

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

That's just wrong. You argued once before that the CSU board of trustees or the chancellor would never allow SDSU to go independent and then I pointed out history refutes that claim. That was more than 40 years ago and now there's talk of SDSU along with Cal Poly leaving the CSU system because we are each so markedly superior to the average CSU school academically. It's certain that if SDSU threatened to go indy for football and leave Fresno and SJSU behind once again that there would be some pushback. However, it's about equally certain that pushback wouldn't have enough political support to keep it from occurring.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest Dr. Dre
3 hours ago, jimjam said:

In a nutshell, how do you see the process of your new stadium going down?

We'll get what we want. 40k stadium and about 35-40 acres for campus expansion (the $$$ is there). If there was ANY vision in this city, they'd give us the entire site to develope. It's what they did for UCSD in the 50's, and look how that turned out, The economic impact on the region would double (some 10-11 billion) annually. Nothing even comes close. I expect our leadership (lets hope) to have their plan by end of July when the vote for special elections is up. 

Listen to this guy. He's kind of a SD big whig 

http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/malin-burnham-community-before-self/

Guest Dr. Dre
4 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

1) I do not view the BWC or Wac as a lateral move with current membership, if membership in the B-12 or AAC is offered perhaps that maybe a improvement depending on their membership at the time.

2) I think a P-5 membership for SDS is possible if your school builds a stadium, and wins a lot in the future, going indy will not help to reach those goals.

1) You move SDSU to the Big West, and it automatically is on equal footing with the MWC. We bring along a Boise or UNLV? It becomes better.

2) It most certainly does. Look, people are tired of seeinh USUCKU on the schedule, and then the Aztecs running CHOO CHOO train on them. Same goes for over half this conference. Replacing San Suck State with a P5 and then beating them. Yes please. Better competition. More interest. More fans. More money. Give me byu's schedule in a heartbeat.