Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

MW Board consensus: Upcoming tv contract value

Well first of all we wouldn't even have CBSSN if we hadn't threatened to sue CBS to fulfill their obligation to the Mtn contract, so I'm not sure just how interested they are.  Obviously that was before Boise came back, but they were willing to own our rights and bury them at one point.  They'd still prefer to cover the final 10 minutes of a HS exhibition game than cut away and actually show the entire MWC FB game.  ESPN is only on board because Boise was a hot national property, that has faded significantly but in doing so the brand of the overall MWC has increased.

ROOT seems to have a real liking for broadcasting SEC Mtn. games when they can get them.  As AT&T sports, and expanding more into MWC West markets, I do believe they become a real player in the negotiations.

I'd look for a per game raise from either ESPN, CBSSN, or whoever ends up with rights to broadcast us nationally.  Overall value of the contract when it's all added up?  I'd guess about $24 million, a 50% increase....right.

4 hours ago, wyochris said:

they will go with the mountain west network next time and do a streaming deal

the games start too late on espn and cbs and there is more money by starting games earlier in my opinion starting a game at 9:00 is too late

boise state is also losing money on the table in this

the agreement expires in 2020.  http://broncosports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032613aab.html

It's up to Boise.  I'd be surprised to find ESPN had more specific interest in Boise than the Mountain division at this point.  Chris Peterson is clearly a great coach and while Boise remains a great program, its chances of being at the absolute top are capped by the Huskies and their most accomplished coach.

16 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

the agreement expires in 2020.  http://broncosports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032613aab.html

It's up to Boise.  I'd be surprised to find ESPN had more specific interest in Boise than the Mountain division at this point.  Chris Peterson is clearly a great coach and while Boise remains a great program, its chances of being at the absolute top are capped by the Huskies and their most accomplished coach.

As I recall, it has been reported that Boise gets to keep their special deal in the renegotiation, but I'm sure that is dependent on ESPN's interest in keeping the deal and ESPN's overall interest in MWC content.  I think that Boise interest is sliding.  Boise is still the premiere football broadcast property of the MWC, but as you point out there is reason to have an increased interest in the mountain division right now.  I'd be surprised if there were any real giveashit nationally about the west given everyone but SDSU's recent performance and all the coaching changes.

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

As I recall, it has been reported that Boise gets to keep their special deal in the renegotiation, but I'm sure that is dependent on ESPN's interest in keeping the deal and ESPN's overall interest in MWC content.  I think that Boise interest is sliding.  Boise is still the premiere football broadcast property of the MWC, but as you point out there is reason to have an increased interest in the mountain division right now.  I'd be surprised if there were any real giveashit nationally about the west given everyone but SDSU's recent performance and all the coaching changes.

I'm just not sure this is the case.  

I'm going to post some numbers from last year from bowl season.  Boise/Baylor drew 2.28 million viewers.  SDSU/Houston did a huge number in the Vegas Bowl, like 3.3 million.  BYU/Wyoming drew similar to Boise/Baylor, 2.38 million.  CSU/Idaho drew poorly, New Mexico/UTSA did too, as well as Hawaii/MTSU, all in the low millions.  Bowl games aren't the best indicator of consistent ratings, because of the scarcity of them, the night they are on, and the other team's draw as well.  Boise still posted some decent numbers.

If you look at the season, they had numbers of 763k on a Friday night game against UNLV, 658k against SJSU, and nearly a million viewers against BYU.  All Friday night games.  If you look at televised ratings from other teams here, Boise is outperforming them by a significant amount on a week to week basis.  Games on CBSSN don't give ratings on the http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/ site, but in going through some of those games, there are some terrible ratings from supposed big players in this league on that site.  CSU/Wyoming drew 131k.  The Boise game nearly tripled that number against USU at the same time/night.  Some might argue, "Well, that's on ESPNU."  There's a reason Boise is on the bigger channel.  Boise and Oregon State drew 370k, while AFA/USU drew 109k on the other channel.  

I still think they're the draw, overall.  The numbers show that, even if they are playing a filler role for Thurs/Fri games on ESPN. MWC teams are playing that role at times, there's many teams in the PAC, as well as BYU playing that role at times as well.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I'm going to post some numbers from last year from bowl season.  Boise/Baylor drew 2.28 million viewers.  SDSU/Houston did a huge number in the Vegas Bowl, like 3.3 million.  BYU/Wyoming drew similar to Boise/Baylor, 2.38 million.  CSU/Idaho drew poorly, New Mexico/UTSA did too, as well as Hawaii/MTSU, all in the low millions.  Bowl games aren't the best indicator of consistent ratings, because of the scarcity of them, the night they are on, and the other team's draw as well.  Boise still posted some decent numbers.

If you look at the season, they had numbers of 763k on a Friday night game against UNLV, 658k against SJSU, and nearly a million viewers against BYU.  All Friday night games.  If you look at televised ratings from other teams here, Boise is outperforming them by a significant amount on a week to week basis.  Games on CBSSN don't give ratings on the http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/ site, but in going through some of those games, there are some terrible ratings from supposed big players in this league on that site.  CSU/Wyoming drew 131k.  The Boise game nearly tripled that number against USU at the same time/night.  Some might argue, "Well, that's on ESPNU."  There's a reason Boise is on the bigger channel.  Boise and Oregon State drew 370k, while AFA/USU drew 109k on the other channel.  

I still think they're the draw, overall.  The numbers show that, even if they are playing a filler role for Thurs/Fri games on ESPN. MWC teams are playing that role at times, there's many teams in the PAC, as well as BYU playing that role at times as well.

Yeah, I apparently wasn't clear.  Boise is still the big draw in the MWC.  Just saying that they're not the draw they were 5 years ago.  I wonder if ESPN will see that as a trend or not.  They can put an end to the speculation if they can hurry up and get another Fiesta in the next two years, but I don't think they draw all that much better on a late night CBSSN crapfest against SDSU, or Wyo than anyone else would.

18 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, I apparently wasn't clear.  Boise is still the big draw in the MWC.  Just saying that they're not the draw they were 5 years ago.  I wonder if ESPN will see that as a trend or not.  They can put an end to the speculation if they can hurry up and get another Fiesta in the next two years, but I don't think they draw all that much better on a late night CBSSN crapfest against SDSU, or Wyo than anyone else would.

Agreed, Friday nights overall are bad spots and don't draw well in general. That said, they still draw better on those than most of the league does, and better than most PAC teams that play weeknight games as well.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, wyochris said:

boise state is also losing money on the table in this

"Losing..." -or- LEAVING "$$$ on the table???"

How do you figure?  W/out this conf, who does El Juco play in Oct -&- Nov???

6 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Agreed, Friday nights overall are bad spots and don't draw well in general. That said, they still draw better on those than most of the league does, and better than most PAC teams that play weeknight games as well.

The time slots are terrible.  They devalue our product.  I think we see a drop from ESPN and CBSSN, but AT&T will be a boost.

I don't know what we can make off of streaming.  I'm hoping (but skeptical) that the MWC will bring quality into the equation on the streaming option.  Campus Insiders is really bad, on many levels.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

The time slots are terrible.  They devalue our product.  I think we see a drop from ESPN and CBSSN, but AT&T will be a boost.

I don't know what we can make off of streaming.  I'm hoping (but skeptical) that the MWC will bring quality into the equation on the streaming option.  Campus Insiders is really bad, on many levels.

A big reason I was never happy with Comcast is due to lack of streaming.  I need streaming because I work some Saturdays and want to be able to watch games.  It's not an issue now, but ten years ago it was.

40 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The Juco may, or may not still be the draw.

I think the real question here is:  LEVERAGE.  Boise CC had leverage when they took their ball & went to the BIG Least w/their lil' brother.  Now that they are back-in-the-fold what kind of leverage do they have?  I doubt the Blu Burros go indy -or- bail for the AAC if they don't get there way, receiving a larger share of TV revenues on-the-nxt contract.

The key to Fox is how strong and what level they have int rest in SDSU.  If it is high, they will be willing to get FS1 involved.  If it's low, they just want SDSU at the RSN level but not nationally.

i would guess that the relatively high number of red states also gives Fox some interest.

1 minute ago, Bruininthebay said:

The key to Fox is how strong and what level they have int rest in SDSU.  If it is high, they will be willing to get FS1 involved.  If it's low, they just want SDSU at the RSN level but not nationally.

i would guess that the relatively high number of red states also gives Fox some interest.

Pls explain what Red States/Blue States has to do w/this discussion...

How does viewership of FOX News & FS1 correlate???

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

A big reason I was never happy with Comcast is due to lack of streaming.  I need streaming because I work some Saturdays and want to be able to watch games.  It's not an issue now, but ten years ago it was.

It absolutely is an issue IMO.  Streaming is much more common and is a part of every conference package.  CBSSN is in the dark ages on this.  Anyway, now it comes down to blacking out certain areas or not, and quality of the stream.  CI has improved, but still stops to buffer on my average internet.  ESPN3 does not.  

If Hair and Co. are just happy to have a partner do the streaming, then I have no hope for improvement.  If someone in the conference office has the type of stones we've seen from Knuth lately there will be guarantees with financial consequences if the infrastructure isn't in place to make it work like it should.

8 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

I think the real question here is:  LEVERAGE.  Boise CC had leverage when they took their ball & went to the BIG Least w/their lil' brother.  Now that they are back-in-the-fold what kind of leverage do they have?  I doubt the Blu Burros go indy -or- bail for the AAC if they don't get there way, receiving a larger share of TV revenues on-the-nxt contract.

Why do you always call boise a CC?

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Trust me, they are the draw.  Did you look at the TV numbers last year?  Lots of 100k numbers from here.  SDSU doesn't even get to claim barely any ratings because they were on CBSSN so much.  

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

It absolutely is an issue IMO.  Streaming is much more common and is a part of every conference package.  CBSSN is in the dark ages on this.  Anyway, now it comes down to blacking out certain areas or not, and quality of the stream.  CI has improved, but still stops to buffer on my average internet.  ESPN3 does not.  

If Hair and Co. are just happy to have a partner do the streaming, then I have no hope for improvement.  If someone in the conference office has the type of stones we've seen from Knuth lately there will be guarantees with financial consequences if the infrastructure isn't in place to make it work like it should.

I meant for me.  I totally get it is an issue right now for this league.

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Same reason he does everything.  He fancies it as some sort of putdown.  He has retarded little nicknames for everyone here.

Just a correlation between where Fox Has RSNs and red states.  Obviously not a cause but it happens enough it makes me speculate they are more open about Idaho, Utah and Wyoming than California - although Fresno and SDSU are California universities with FBS schools in red areas of the state.

6 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

(a)   They were a community college in-my-lifetime

(b)  Their current academic standing & commuter school culture

(c)  Their stunt pseudo-bailing to the BIG Least w/their lil' brother

(d)   I also call them:  El Juco, boise jc, the Blu Burros, etc... as well