Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

Hawaii: just curious....

On 6/26/2017 at 9:34 AM, SpartaRick said:

Yeah after Fresno and Nevada left the WAC to join the MWC, Hawai'i panicked and gave away its soul to join, even in a limited and costly way, to join the MWC.  In retrospect, had they waited a bit and not been so overtly anxious, they may have received an invitation on more balanced terms.

The problem was UNLV contacted the Hawaii president and said that USU and SJSU had begun talks with the MWC about joining the conference.  This took Hawaii totally off guard and they panicked.

Had they waited until Boise and SDSU left the conference--they probably get better terms. (But maybe not since Boise and SDSU were two of their stronger proponents of them joining) Or maybe they get left out entirely.

This is in Hawaii's ability to fix--improve their football program contribute to the conference's value--then try and renegotiate everything.  Hawaii's local TV contract expires the same time as the MWC TV Deal--so I suspect that's when everything will be negotiated again.

2 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

The problem was UNLV contacted the Hawaii president and said that USU and SJSU had begun talks with the MWC about joining the conference.  This took Hawaii totally off guard and they panicked.

Had they waited until Boise and SDSU left the conference--they probably get better terms. (But maybe not since Boise and SDSU were two of their stronger proponents of them joining) Or maybe they get left out entirely.

This is in Hawaii's ability to fix--improve their football program contribute to the conference's value--then try and renegotiate everything.  Hawaii's local TV contract expires the same time as the MWC TV Deal--so I suspect that's when everything will be negotiated again.

Where did you get that info from? UNLV's Smatersk was the one that helped Hawaii get into the MW due to past relations with UH VP Rockne Freitas and UH President Greenwood could care less about the issue, it was the AD Jim Donovan and VP Rockne Freitas that wanted to do something about it. It also wasn't USU and SJSU that panicked Hawaii, it was Fresno and Nevada announcing they would be leaving to the MW that made the Hawaii want to get out of the WAC especially after the WAC announced Texas St, and UTSA would be joining the conference while prior to that Montana and Montana St turned the conference down. Nevada and Fresno replaced the losses of TCU and Utah, while Hawaii replaced the loss of BYU. 

Hawaii announced the MW/BW deal in December 2010 and talks supposedly took place a month or two before the announcement, SJSU and USU didn't announce joining the MW until 2012. 

1 hour ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Where did you get that info from? UNLV's Smatersk was the one that helped Hawaii get into the MW due to past relations with UH VP Rockne Freitas and UH President Greenwood could care less about the issue, it was the AD Jim Donovan and VP Rockne Freitas that wanted to do something about it.

It was in the Star Advertiser's story.  But yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  UNLV called Freitas, said "Hey you know SJSU and USU started talking to us" and then started our application.  We were the preferred choice (for several schools), and thus got in first.

On 6/26/2017 at 7:34 AM, SpartaRick said:

Yeah after Fresno and Nevada left the WAC to join the MWC, Hawai'i panicked and gave away its soul to join, even in a limited and costly way, to join the MWC.  In retrospect, had they waited a bit and not been so overtly anxious, they may have received an invitation on more balanced terms.

I knew a board of regents for SJSU during the time of SJSU joining the MW and the regent told me there was a really good presentation about it.  Wish I could have seen.  I like having a Bay Area school in the conference.

Guest Dr. Dre
3 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I like having a Bay Area school in the conference.

you may be the only one (at least THAT school)

18 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

you may be the only one (at least THAT school)

It might have the shitty basketball gym similar to other CSUs and a football stadium that got rid of this most redeeming feature (their beer garden), but location location location.  

Bay Area/NorCal presence still can't hurt even if it's not Cal/Stanford.  Our QB is from Los Gatos, previous starting QB from Richmond.  OL from East Palo Alto.  We get a lot of City College of SF JCs.  Sacramento/Folsom area we do well.  The other great areas for us is the Inland Empire in SoCal.  An LA school would be great, but SDSU and Fresno are prob close enough.  Our players like having their family and friends attend games.  Next Vegas.

So yes, grateful to have THAT school in the MW.  Plus Hawaii has a great tailgate party sponsored by the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce at the SJSU games.