Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFanatic

Hawaii: just curious....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2012/05/10/sports/ferds-words/mountain-west-should-take-a-cue-from-the-big-west/

"..Of course, UH had been thinking more along the lines of paying for 85-90 seats, a $45,000-$75,000 tab, for each of the four teams that came over annually. What it ended up having to agree to was $150,000-$175,000 per team, depending on time zones crossed, effectively the price of a charter flight...."

"As an example of enlightened thinking, we offer you the Big West, where most UH teams in sports other than football will be heading in 2012. UH will pay travel subsidies there, too, but will pay a flat $500 per head for agreed-upon squad limits."

Hawaii will not subsidize anyone that joined post-Hawaii in the Big West (so a UCSD if they joined for example wouldn't get travel subs), compared to the Mountain West which didn't have those types of terms and as a result schools like USU and SJSU receive those benefits. 

8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

If Hawaii has to pay travel subs so too should Wyoming.  Takes longer to get to Larryme from CA than Honolulu.

I'm not sure its about how long it takes to get somewhere, but how expensive it is to get there. I'm pretty sure a trip to Hawaii costs significantly more than at trip to Wyoming (at least it should).

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

If Hawaii has to pay travel subs so too should Wyoming.  Takes longer to get to Larryme from CA than Honolulu.

Trip from LA, CA to Wyoming is a $100 flight to Denver and a shuttle $50  to Laramie.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Trip from LA, CA to Wyoming is a $100 flight to Denver and a shuttle $50  to Laramie.

What happened to time is money?  Also, going to Hawaii is pretty awesome, but it's more expensive. I guess our conference rather just all play in small towns a bus ride away from a big town.  That's what's best for all.  End.

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

i would love to get a flight from las vegas to denver for $100, but a quick check of southwest airlines from vegas to denver is $330 in the middle of sept., and from san diego to denver was $359.. these are each way.

vegas to hawaii on hawaiin airlines at the same time is $316.

:shrug:

(and yes, i was curious enough to look, lol)

anyway, i don't think hawaii should have to pay travel subs, anymore than you guys should.

2 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

It's Friday.  I'm not bitter.  Just it infuriates me the justification for an all expenses paid trip all on our dime.

There's a difference against Justification and Reasons. Conference didn't really want/need Hawaii, so if Hawaii wanted in, it was going to cost. Sounds simple to me.

3 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

There's a difference against Justification and Reasons. Conference didn't really want/need Hawaii, so if Hawaii wanted in, it was going to cost. Sounds simple to me.

if we don't get a better TV deal, Hawaii will have to pay more for the privledge of playing us. 

Maybe we will charge them to play us on our home field. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

i would love to get a flight from las vegas to denver for $100, but a quick check of southwest airlines from vegas to denver is $330 in the middle of sept., and from san diego to denver was $359.. these are each way.

vegas to hawaii on hawaiin airlines at the same time is $316.

:shrug:

(and yes, i was curious enough to look, lol)

anyway, i don't think hawaii should have to pay travel subs, anymore than you guys should.

I think travel subs should go away.  If you want to deal with Allegiant they might still fly Colorado Springs to Vegas for cheap.  The only problem is you have to fly Allegiant.

13 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

It's Friday.  I'm not bitter.  Just it infuriates me the justification for an all expenses paid trip all on our dime.

You guys pay travel subs because your football program isn't desirable. If the mw really wanted you there wouldn't be any travel subs. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

19 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

What happened to time is money?  Also, going to Hawaii is pretty awesome, but it's more expensive. I guess our conference rather just all play in small towns a bus ride away from a big town.  That's what's best for all.  End.

Of course MWC football teams charter to the small towns like Logan and Laramie.

20 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Be as bitter, infuriated or butthurt as you want. But don't even THINK about being late with our travel subs!!!

#IWantMyMoney

12667677.jpeg

2 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Of course MWC football teams charter to the small towns like Logan and Laramie.

Some do. Many of them fly into DIA and bus in. We charter out of Laramie if it's more than a certain driving time. I know we've bused as far as Provo, SLC, Logan, Albuquerque, and Lincoln in the past...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

Seems to corroborate with my sources that there were some conference members were down right pricks about Hawaii behind closed doors.  Can feelings change?  Can a re-evaluation of value, relationship happen over the course of several years?  I hope so.

Why the hate Boise State?

On June 23, 2017 at 7:37 AM, FresnoFanatic said:

What does Hawaii pay the Big West in travel subsidies?  Do they?

we don't pay the big west.we give them a little spending money.

22 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Seems to corroborate with my sources that there were some conference members were down right pricks about Hawaii behind closed doors.  Can feelings change?  Can a re-evaluation of value, relationship happen over the course of several years?  I hope so.

No hate. Just extreme apathy. Of course, I have that same apathy for SJSU. And democrats.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, 415hawaiiboy said:

Yeah after Fresno and Nevada left the WAC to join the MWC, Hawai'i panicked and gave away its soul to join, even in a limited and costly way, to join the MWC.  In retrospect, had they waited a bit and not been so overtly anxious, they may have received an invitation on more balanced terms.