Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Cameron Oliver

25 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He absolutely blew the interview process.  He should have been drafted last night.  That's the only explanation for his going undrafted.

He's got some intensity issues where he isn't putting in 100% and I'm sure that's part of it.  I think his 3 pt shooting has been in a slump, too, and there's a lot of talent in this draft. If he had the intensity and hustle that Caroline has in developing himself the last so many years, he'd be a lottery pick. 

He's got a kid coming and probably wanted to start making money.  But it sure looks like a bad decision to leave this year now.

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

That means nothing.  It was probably for the league minimum.

Which is 815k a year. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

its too late. We can only wish him the best.

I was at Archies last night early and a few of the Nevada hoops players went in for a while to watch the draft. (drinking sodas) Then they left to go over to Lawlor or the Athletics building to watch the final picks.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Which is 815k a year. 

But it is not guaranteed. He could get invited to training camp but he'll have to shine in Summer league.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

He'll have a chance to play his way onto a team.  There are precious few slots and lots of great college players.  Once you get past the top 5-10 guys drafted, its a guessing game how the skills will translate to the next level.  If he really has NBA talent and the desire and motivation that is necessary,  he will find a home.  If not, like many a player who thought they were better than they actually are, he will end up overseas.

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

its too late. We can only wish him the best.

I was at Archies last night early and a few of the Nevada hoops players went in for a while to watch the draft. (drinking sodas) Then they left to go over to Lawlor or the Athletics building to watch the final picks.

As far as his teammates watching the draft, it could be a sobering learning experience.Mock drafts and agents mean little if you are a proposed 2nd round pick. I'm not convinced he wouldn't have benefited more with another year coached by Mussleman who has ample NBA experience. At any rate I wish him well just as I would any other MWC player that tried the draft early.

Oliver has played well in all of the camps and leagues that he has been in, usually outplaying most of the kids with more star power behind their names....hopefully that continues with the Rockets and he finds a spot. 

The money isn't guaranteed, he can be cut anytime...By then the overseas opportunities may be dried up.

It's a dilemma for 2nd round picks and guys not drafted

Many go straight to Europe for the money which might be the best decision.

Best of luck to Cam

Change is inevitable only growth is optional.

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Actually I just saw that he signed a multi year contract with Houston. 

Not having seen the details, contracts for those not drafted are pretty small potatoes in comparison.  And they're not guaranteed.  They can go to -0- overnight.  He's going to have to prove himself from day one, consistently, to make the roster.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, westfan said:

As far as his teammates watching the draft, it could be a sobering learning experience.Mock drafts and agents mean little if you are a proposed 2nd round pick. I'm not convinced he wouldn't have benefited more with another year coached by Mussleman who has ample NBA experience. At any rate I wish him well just as I would any other MWC player that tried the draft early.

There's no fixing the fact that he's a 6-7 power forward and has had two serious knee injuries. He's been a great player at Nevada and hopefully he makes some serious $$$ playing somewhere. 

20 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

There's no fixing the fact that he's a 6-7 power forward and has had two serious knee injuries. He's been a great player at Nevada and hopefully he makes some serious $$$ playing somewhere. 

I was just reading on the Rockets message board that Draymond Green is 6'5.5 without shoes. Cam really isn't that undersized for a modern PF.

6 minutes ago, bigd said:

I was just reading on the Rockets message board that Draymond Green is 6'5.5 without shoes. Cam really isn't that undersized for a modern PF.

I think that measurables are still incredibly important. Green is obviously an exception to the rule. 

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Oliver has played well in all of the camps and leagues that he has been in, usually outplaying most of the kids with more star power behind their names....hopefully that continues with the Rockets and he finds a spot. 

The Rockets don't play defense. They're all about 3 point shots.   If he can defend and defer to their shooters, then he may have a chance to stick.