Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

OT: Game of Thrones Season 7

4 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Siblings are around 50%. It varies of course. Could be little below or little above 50%.

With DNA swapping, your siblings have a different combination of genes. Each parent has 2 copies of genes. Meaning it's a 50% that you and your sibling both get that same gene. Then do that 25000 times. It always comes out to about 50%.

Ahhh.  Even with Twins?  I guess they're fraternal so they're still 50%.  I'm not an expert in genetics so consider me educated now.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Ahhh.  Even with Twins?  I guess they're fraternal so they're still 50%.  I'm not an expert in genetics so consider me educated now.  

me neither I just read into it a bit because I did that 23andme DNA thing with my family.

Fraternal just share a womb I believe. So the same as any siblings.

Identical is still up in the air..I think. I remember reading that it can be 100%, but more like 99.9% or something like that. Where there are some genes that carry more than 2 copies so you could have like 10 different genes out of 25000 that wouldn't make that big a difference, but none the less a difference.

IDK that shits complicated and confused the +++++ outta me.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

me neither I just read into it a bit because I did that 23andme DNA thing with my family.

Fraternal just share a womb I believe. So the same as any siblings.

Identical is still up in the air..I think. I remember reading that it can be 100%, but more like 99.9% or something like that. Where there are some genes that carry more than 2 copies so you could have like 10 different genes out of 25000 that wouldn't make that big a difference, but none the less a difference.

IDK that shits complicated and confused the +++++ outta me.

This is why I like accounting. It's clear as phuck. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

This is why I like accounting. It's clear as phuck. 

Fux that too. Unless excel does all the work.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

Identical twins are essentially 100%. Twins that marry other twins will have kids that are essentially biologically siblings. 

Fraternal twins are essentially 50% just like any other siblings. They share a womb, not a zygote. 

The aunt and nephew may potentially have 25% same DNA but genes aren't all passed on en mass so there will be significant variability. I feel nerdish even commenting on this thread but the Targaryeans were mentioned in the books as marrying within the family much like the European Monarchs did. 

13 hours ago, mugtang said:

They could do at least 3 more seasons and people would watch it. 

On another forum, someone mentioned that all episodes next season might be like 1.5-2 hours long.  I don't know how much I buy into that thought but it sure would be awesome!

v0icAvfW.jpg

13 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Don't care about the sped times.

My only knock is they coulda had dragons fly in a little quicker instead of the 7 v 10000 match going on far too long, but I'm not gonna be that nerd.

Why they don't milk this show for 20 more years...i have no clue. I'd watch the +++++ out of it no matter how bad it gets.

The showrunners spend almost the whole year abroad writing and shooting the show. They have kids and have missed a lot of a decade of life with their family. Of course, they could just hand over the reins to someone else and let them finish. Being artists dedicated to their masterpiece, this would obviously be unpalatable.

C9J0_GUVwAA1zrb.jpg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

25 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

On another forum, someone mentioned that all episodes next season might be like 1.5-2 hours long.  I don't know how much I buy into that thought but it sure would be awesome!

That's what I've read at a few different places. I think the shortest episodes are supposed to be about 80 minutes, which is what the finale this week will be.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

The aunt and nephew may potentially have 25% same DNA but genes aren't all passed on en mass so there will be significant variability. I feel nerdish even commenting on this thread but the Targaryeans were mentioned in the books as marrying within the family much like the European Monarchs did. 

Yep. They also came from another continent and an area where incest was common to keep family lines "pure". Part of the reasoning behind it was they believed that the "pure" lineage kept the ability for them to be able to handle dragons. While their customs were weird to those of Westeros, both the Andals and the descendants of the First Men, they were perfectly acceptable back in Valyria. That being said, it's also believed that the same intermarrying led to more than a few of their monarchs being batshit crazy. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

They haven't starting filming the next season yet. People saying it will be 2019 before the final 6 episodes air.

Could be. Depending on how long it takes, it could air anywhere from Fall 2018 - Summer 2019. Which will suck to have to wait that long.

Here's to hoping season 8 will be 1.5- 2 hours long per episode.

I don't mind the pace of this season, because you are seeing everything important. They are just trying to get everything in that they have to with the time that they have left. I feel like if they had just added one more season it would have helped out immensely though. It would allow for the pace to slow down a little to flush out things a little more. Oh well. It's been a fantastic season. Great stuff. 

R=L=J / "J" is for Jorah (Mormant)?

Lyanna Mormant

Lyanna Stark

Why would two characters have the same first name like this if it was not significant

I think we're being fed this "John is a Targ" narrative to throw us off.

Something's going on with the Mormant angle.

Thought last night's episode was epic, though they seem to be playing fast and loose with some of the storytelling devices to make everything (that happened) happen in a singular episode. Gendry's sprint to the Wall was like a scene out of a Monty Python movie, and who knew ravens were fast AF - is Westros the size of Maui or something?

Other than that, iI was locked in - the writing in particular was outstanding - whether it was the camaraderie between the 'Magnificent Seven Six on the snow, the scenes between Arya and Sansa, or the prolonged dialogue between Tyrian and Danay(sp?). I found the writing to be so damn riveting I stopped the show about 20 minutes in and began it from the top just to listen to it again.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

I saw a post somewhere online where someone went back and looked at the Targ bloodline and they figured due to all the incest in the family tree Dany and Jon are genetically closer to siblings than aunt and uncle. I don't have a full grasp on DNA and genetics but it was interesting.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

R=L=J / "J" is for Jorah (Mormant)?

Lyanna Mormant

Lyanna Stark

Why would two characters have the same first name like this if it was not significant

I think we're being fed this "John is a Targ" narrative to throw us off.

Something's going on with the Mormant angle.

Are you suggesting that Jorah Mormont is the Child of Lyanna and Raegar? He is much too old. Jon was brought back from the war as a baby so he is really the only option for the child. there could be some sort of twist involved in this storyline but it will involve Jon in someway.

Many times people name their children after people in their liege houses so it isn't strange for the Mormonts to name their girl Lyanna as a way to honor Lyanna Stark.

3 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Are you suggesting that Jorah Mormont is the Child of Lyanna and Raegar? He is much too old. Jon was brought back from the war as a baby so he is really the only option for the child. there could be some sort of twist involved in this storyline but it will involve Jon in someway.

Many times people name their children after people in their liege houses so it isn't strange for the Mormonts to name their girl Lyanna as a way to honor Lyanna Stark.

No I wasn't and yes you are right about that.

I was just spit-balling mostly, but I will say for a character that really isn't one of the "principles", Jorah has a deep story line and he's the one that had the dragon eggs to begin with. There might be more to this guy and we've been misdirected through the show to not notice so much.  It just seems like everybody already knows about the John Snow thing and the writers have to know this. No one will be surprised when they say John is a Targ yet the show keeps dropping hints to keep us thinking that. Just spit-balling.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Thought last night's episode was epic, though they seem to be playing fast and loose with some of the storytelling devices to make everything (that happened) happen in a singular episode. Gendry's sprint to the Wall was like a scene out of a Monty Python movie, and who knew ravens were fast AF - is Westros the size of Maui or something?

Other than that, iI was locked in - the writing in particular was outstanding - whether it was the camaraderie between the 'Magnificent Seven Six on the snow, the scenes between Arya and Sansa, or the prolonged dialogue between Tyrian and Danay(sp?). I found the writing to be so damn riveting I stopped the show about 20 minutes in and began it from the top just to listen to it again.

How about the plan to go there in the first place? Go steal a zombie to convince Cersei to lend the rest if her army you just kicked the crap out of a few weeks ago? WTF?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

No I wasn't and yes you are right about that.

I was just spit-balling mostly, but I will say for a character that really isn't one of the "principles", Jorah has a deep story line and he's the one that had the dragon eggs to begin with. There might be more to this guy and we've been misdirected through the show to not notice so much.  It just seems like everybody already knows about the John Snow thing and the writers have to know this. No one will be surprised when they say John is a Targ yet the show keeps dropping hints to keep us thinking that. Just spit-balling.

No, Jorah wasn't the one that had the dragon eggs to begin with. They were given to her by Illyrio, while Jorah gave her a collection of books from Westeros. 

Jorah plays a similarly important part in the books, which is why he's played up as important in the show. Though his travels take him down a much different path after being exiled by Dany. He is also important as being the son of Lord Commander Mormont, and much older brother of Lyana Mormont. At this point, given how much time is left in the show, and how much information we've been given about Jon already, there really isn't any doubt that he's the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

We see in Bran's vision with the Three Eyed Raven that Ned and the others were able to get past the remaining loyal members of the Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy, and he sees Lyanna with her son. She then says what can only be interpreted as, "if Robert finds out [he'll kill him]. You have to protect him." Then we see the baby's face and the scene immediately dissolves into Jon's face. Robert had Rhaegar's other children put to death, and tried to do the same with Viserys and Daenerys. We can stand to reason that he would have had Jon (or whatever his real name was to be) killed as well as another Targaryen claimant to the Iron Throne, hence what I have in brackets in Lyanna's quote of what she said to Ned. 

Then we have what Gilly found in the book about Rhaegar annulling his marriage to Elia Martell in order to marry someone else. Given that he had been accused of kidnapping Lyanna (thus effectively starting Robert's Rebellion), the only logical conclusion is that he divorced (annulled) his marriage and subsequently married Lyanna, which then legitimizes Jon as claimant to the throne, and he would technically have an even greater claim than Dany, as the son of the crown prince, and the fact that the Targs were patriarchal in who ruled as monarch. The only thing that throws a little fly in the ointment there is that after Rhaegar and Aerys were killed, the Kingship then technically fell to Viserys. I can't recall if the mad king was killed before or after Jon was born. 

Anyway, I kinda rambled on there.