Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

OT: Game of Thrones Season 7

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Dany lost most of her navy in Euron's attacks in the narrow sea and at Casterly Rock, yet she was able to sail a Dothraki horde stealthily up to Blackwater Bay with nobody noticing. How? Plot.

Somebody, either Danny or Tyrion, stated earlier in episode 4 that they still had enough ships to transport the horde. 

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Dany lost most of her navy in Euron's attacks in the narrow sea and at Casterly Rock, yet she was able to sail a Dothraki horde stealthily up to Blackwater Bay with nobody noticing. How? Plot.

They mentioned they had enough ships to move the Dothraki still 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Somebody, either Danny or Tyrion, stated earlier in episode 4 that they still had enough ships to transport the horde. 

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They mentioned they had enough ships to move the Dothraki still 

Undetected though? Impossible. The Lannister's knew two episodes in advance when Stannis set sail towards King's Landing. They're playing fast with the details in service of plot.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

17 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Undetected though? Impossible. The Lannister's knew two episodes in advance when Stannis set sail towards King's Landing. They're playing fast with the details in service of plot.

Yeah, looking at the map, there's no real way they could have moved that large an army to the Roseroad undetected. Even if you decide to ignore the ships making their way from Dragonstone, there's no real way they could have gotten there without passing way too close to King's Landing, or having to traverse the Kingswood, which would have significantly slowed down a Dothraki army travelling on horseback. 

I watched it again last night and I'm wondering why Dany isn't bringing all three dragons.  IIRC, she used all three against the slaver armada.  More fire, more mayhem, less risk.  I was also surprised that the ballista would be so damaging against Drogon.  I figured it would wound him, but I didn't think it would down him.

2 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

I watched it again last night and I'm wondering why Dany isn't bringing all three dragons.  IIRC, she used all three against the slaver armada.  More fire, more mayhem, less risk.  I was also surprised that the ballista would be so damaging against Drogon.  I figured it would wound him, but I didn't think it would down him.

I think Drogon was enough to provide shock and awe to the Lannister army. I don't think the goal was to kill everyone, but more to show her power, as well as her restraint for not bringing the dragons against a city.

19 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I think Drogon was enough to provide shock and awe to the Lannister army. I don't think the goal was to kill everyone, but more to show her power, as well as her restraint for not bringing the dragons against a city.

Probably right.  I just like seeing them burn shit.

23 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

who was it that knocked Jamie off his horse prior to get bbq'd, was it Braun, Dickon, someone else?  I couldn't tell.

Ha Ha , he said Dickon.

Ya it was probably Dickon. That would have been the 2nd time he saved Jaime that day. He looking out after Jaime.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

20 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It's awful storytelling to have him saved from one certain death as a cliffhanger ender only to have him immediately die a death that doesn't do anything for his character. This isn't life, it's storytelling. Heedless, wreckless, brave, stupid Jaime Lannister trying to end the war and save countless people from burning alive during it with one forlorn hope last charge, only to die at the last minute. That would have been true to his character. Getting saved at the last second and dying an anonymous death at the bottom of the river, that is dumb. I'm starting to think the Kingslayer might win this whole thing.

I don't think he died either, but it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing is a given, there's no guarantee for a tomorrow. We all would like some sort of poetic end or story line for Jaime, but that's not how the game works. I think Tyrion will let him go - or perhaps, make sure he's executed. HRH Tyrion might be playing the long game.

21 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I'm starting to think the Kingslayer might win this whole thing.

No. Just no. No way. Impossible!

19 hours ago, toonkee said:

Yeah but they're all there waiting to capture kill/him is my point.

20 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sir Bronn of the Blackwater runs the mo+++++ing Blackwater. He will pull him out

If Jaime lives, he's going to be a prisoner, yet again.

6 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It actually had not occurred to me that they sailed there, just thought they marched across East to West. Maybe a Ferry ride, but that's about it. Time and distance does vary drastically in this show. What, two days later or one day from the fall of Highgarden and they are already on the move and attack? The gold already reached Kings Landing but the tail of the column is still there? Why didn't they attack that too on their way over?

35 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

I don't think he died either, but it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing is a given, there's no guarantee for a tomorrow. We all would like some sort of poetic end or story line for Jaime, but that's not how the game works. I think Tyrion will let him go - or perhaps, make sure he's executed. HRH Tyrion might be playing the long game.

The series subverts expectations by not letting good characters get away with stupid decisions (except for dumbass Dany), but it doesn't cheaply kill off main characters. They all die because they make overly idealistic decisions that make sense to them but are stupid in this world (Robb, Jon, Catelyn, the Sparrow), or they are undone by deep seeded aspects of their character that they can't overcome (Ned, Oberyn, Tywin, Olenna, Margaery, Jon and Catelyn again). Jaime getting barbequed would have checked both boxes. Jaime drowning because he wears armor in battle does not. It would feel cheap.

Tyrion seeing to his execution would check both as well. That never occurred to me. Man, that would be brutal and make great storytelling sense if it comes to pass. I don't think it will because Dinklage's performance is so beloved and the showrunners have deliberately chose to make Tyrion an unambiguously good dude instead of the morally gray character he was in the books.

35 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

No. Just no. No way. Impossible!

What would be the more GRRM way to end the story? Mary Sue and Marty Stu fall in love, save the world, and live happily ever after on the iron throne; or the guy who was presented as the original villain turns out to be moral center of the story who also happens to be the most qualified ruler partly due to his reluctance to want to rule at all (a trait Martin instills in most of his good rulers)? 

30 minutes ago, SFtoVA said:

Not for long with the way the plot has been moving so far.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, SFtoVA said:

It actually had not occurred to me that they sailed there, just thought they marched across East to West. Maybe a Ferry ride, but that's about it. Time and distance does vary drastically in this show. What, two days later or one day from the fall of Highgarden and they are already on the move and attack? The gold already reached Kings Landing but the tail of the column is still there? Why didn't they attack that too on their way over?

I think about a month supposedly passed while we were chilling with the Stark kids in Winterfell. The Lannister army did a forced march from Highgarden to the Blackwater Rush. The head of the column with the gold has reached King's landing but the body and tail are still strung out in the rear. This is where Dany hits them. And yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_07_at_5.45.52_PM.png

She would have had to land in the Stormlands and march a long ways  to hit Jaime on the South Side of the river. Maybe Jon's advice convinced Dany not to burn King's Landing first? I guess :unsure:

Jamie will be captured, be used as a bargaining chip, Cercei won't deal to get him back and this will be the end of whatever allegiance Jamie has to the Lannisters or Cercei.

8 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

Seems the most logical outcome to me.  We need to see if Tyrion can be talked into doing something against Dany.  Who better than his Big Bro, who owes him a (life-saving) favor, to solicit that?  We all saw Tyrion's expression during the Drogon-cue.  Not.  Very.  Happy.  The Big Little Man has taken his lumps of late, sure, but when he comes back I predict it will be with a vengeance...

It'll be interesting to see some if some of the longtime cast members get killed off before season 8. The Stark kids, Jon Snow, Dany, Sam, Cersei, Jamie, Tyrion, Theon, Varys, Jorah, The Hound, and Littlefinger have all been around since season 1; I mean they have had some big deaths but they definitely have a large group of core characters that have lasted the whole series. 

19 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What would be the more GRRM way to end the story? Mary Sue and Marty Stu fall in love, save the world, and live happily ever after on the iron throne; or the guy who was presented as the original villain turns out to be moral center of the story who also happens to be the most qualified ruler partly due to his reluctance to want to rule at all (a trait Martin instills in most of his good rulers)?

I think Jaime will have a "redemption arc", kind of why I think he's still alive. My guess would be offing Cersei somehow and himself in the process, probably next season.I don't think Mary and Marty fall in love (assuming reference to Dany and Jon) as Bran will reveal to Jon and Dany at some point that Jon's actually a Targaryen. Either Jon or Dany survives the wars, but bends the knee to HRH Tyrion in the end, who would also be a reluctant ruler. 

19 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Not for long with the way the plot has been moving so far.

True this... A lot of story lines to be tied up, not a lot of episodes left.