Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Harvard Study - Minimum Wage Hikes Harm the Poor

8 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I was expected to work and save money do to the high cost of college.

Seriously any normally intelligent kid can get through high school with very little effort.  Be nice to the teachers and turn in the work and you get an A, there is no real scholarship required.  Certainly not so much they can't get a summer job.

Kids having 2 jobs in the summer makes sense to me, that is what some of us did, but that is not what i see on scholarship applications.

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/06/29/teen-employment-falling/

you went to a weak school

9 minutes ago, Billings said:

you went to a weak school

ROFL

Got me through BSU and University of Washington and I am no genius.

My daughter got through University of Chicago.

One of my sons got through Auburn.

If you think high school is a challenge you are weak.

17 hours ago, sebasour said:

I love debates about economics. You can find any study you want that fits your narrative, throw in some conjecture and anecdotal evidence and all of a sudden 50% of the country thinks you have settled science and can't understand why the other 50% is so stupid.

I guess this applies to everything in politics to a degree, but economic issues take the cake

Kinda like Global Warming/Climate change. Just tweak the model and hide data to get the desired outcome and morons will also claim the "Science is settled"!

15 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

When I was a kid everyone worked.  I had a dishwashing job when I was 11.  By the time I was 16 i was working year round at a gas station.  When I had graduated high school I had made money working in a restaurant, on a farm, at a gas station, trapping and delivering papers.   That was normal, every kid worked at least in the summers.

I am on a scholarship committee for the local masons and for a private charity.  I see a few dozen scholarship applications a year.  I would say no more than half have any work experience.  I don't count my mom pays me to clean my bedroom or my dad pays me to mow our lawn which i see under work experience all the time now.

What are kids doing these days?

School. Seriously. Kids in rigorous high schools (sorry blues but rural Nevada high schools are almost certainly not rigorous, just not enough kids to support it) have 2-3 hours of homework a night. I know I did, and I have always been quick at getting that stuff done. I used off periods, my lunch break, and just lecture time to shave that off, but other kids weren't as diligent. Furthermore there's a lot more extracurriculars. A busy day for me in high school was get to the pool at 5:30 for swim practice, get to school, school until 3:00, at the pool at 3:30 for more swim practice, home from 5:15 until 6:45 for dinner and homework, at school from 7 to 9 for science olympiad or ocean bowl or science bowl. A regular day was that minus either morning practices or the academic extracurriculars, an easy day was just a bunch of homework and an afternoon practice. Weekends were often taken up by meets.

My wife worked in high school, she effectively swapped out the "bowls" for a 7-11 shift. I worked a couple summers but I also took a full slate of summer classes in other years. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

School. Seriously. Kids in rigorous high schools (sorry blues but rural Nevada high schools are almost certainly not rigorous, just not enough kids to support it) have 2-3 hours of homework a night. I know I did, and I have always been quick at getting that stuff done. I used off periods, my lunch break, and just lecture time to shave that off, but other kids weren't as diligent. Furthermore there's a lot more extracurriculars. A busy day for me in high school was get to the pool at 5:30 for swim practice, get to school, school until 3:00, at the pool at 3:30 for more swim practice, home from 5:15 until 6:45 for dinner and homework, at school from 7 to 9 for science olympiad or ocean bowl or science bowl. A regular day was that minus either morning practices or the academic extracurriculars, an easy day was just a bunch of homework and an afternoon practice. Weekends were often taken up by meets.

My wife worked in high school, she effectively swapped out the "bowls" for a 7-11 shift. I worked a couple summers but I also took a full slate of summer classes in other years. 

Nowadays kids are doing dual classes in high school and getting college credit, summer classes to get college credit, etc etc.  Kids in Sports have to play in summer traveling leagues in order to stay competitive for their high school teams.  High School sports are all year round now and kids are specializing in the larger schools.  Kind of sad how busy and over scheduled many of them are.

8 minutes ago, Billings said:

Nowadays kids are doing dual classes in high school and getting college credit, summer classes to get college credit, etc etc.  Kids in Sports have to play in summer traveling leagues in order to stay competitive for their high school teams.  High School sports are all year round now and kids are specializing in the larger schools.  Kind of sad how busy and over scheduled many of them are.

Well... I'm not sure how good it is preparing anyone for anything, frankly. Science extras were fun, but I would have gotten a lot more out of being a carpenter's helper. Tons of AP classes helped but I'm not sure I needed.. scratch that, I am sure I didn't need AP art history for an engineering degree (and I got a LOT of humanities stuff at GU while I was at it). It certainly didn't help me more than, say, a welding class would have. I wasn't one of the travelling leagues kids, but holy hell, only one out of every 20 of those kids even sniffs a scholly in college. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Well... I'm not sure how good it is preparing anyone for anything, frankly. Science extras were fun, but I would have gotten a lot more out of being a carpenter's helper. Tons of AP classes helped but I'm not sure I needed.. scratch that, I am sure I didn't need AP art history for an engineering degree (and I got a LOT of humanities stuff at GU while I was at it). It certainly didn't help me more than, say, a welding class would have. I wasn't one of the travelling leagues kids, but holy hell, only one out of every 20 of those kids even sniffs a scholly in college. 

Oh I agree.  I think they are doing a lot of work for small, if any benefit.  High School sports, in the bigger schools anyway, is way over emphasized in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

My kid plays on one of those traveling teams and I'd disagree with you.  Most have numerous opportunities to play college ball.  Not D1 and not necessarily a full ride, but athletic scholly nonetheless.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 minutes ago, Billings said:

Oh I agree.  I think they are doing a lot of work for small, if any benefit.  High School sports, in the bigger schools anyway, is way over emphasized in my opinion.

I really don't care for bigger HS athletics.  I went to a small school where all kids got opportunities to do it all.  Play all kinds of sports, play in the band, etc.  We got exposed to many, many things.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

My kid plays on one of those traveling teams and I'd disagree with you.  Most have numerous opportunities to play college ball.  Not D1 and not necessarily a full ride, but athletic scholly nonetheless.

Athletic genes!

25 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

He probably didn't. High Schools are a joke in this country. 

The school isn't any different than when I went there now.

The only difference is unlike us the kids don't work.

Also the outcomes no matter how hard your schools supposedly are, do not support any more learning.   SAT and ACT scores have been static for the last 40+ years.   So all that effort is doing nothing to improve the kids education.   Secondly the rural schools sometimes have higher test scores that those big city schools offering all that AP shit.

Billings school is weak.

Plus there are two kinds of students.  The first i will dub teachers kids, they do all the homework and all the extra and get straight A's.   They don't necessarily learn the material and when the SAT day comes they score at best average.   Then there are the "want to know it", kids.  Who waste their time learning the material.  They may not get the homework done because a lot of that is just busywork and doesn't do any teaching.  They do learn the material and these kids probably get A's but some get B's because they have other extracurricular stuff they deem more important than busywork.  When these kids take the SAT they score well and when they go out in life they do well.   The teachers kids probably become teachers or liberal arts majors and never really get a real education.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:44 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

An bigger impact is felt by small mom and pop restaurants. 

Bigger outfits can absorb wage hikes easier than small operators

The converse of raising the wage would be to lower it to under a dollar..........then watch prices fall !! 

The Confederate States of America had a low wage labor force once 

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

He probably didn't. High Schools are a joke in this country. 

Depends on the high school... And the student. 

In other countries high schools have a high floor. Here they have a high ceiling. As blues said, a wants to know it kid gets a great education and can drown in school activities. I'm not sure which one is better for public policy but the high ceiling model was more motivating for me at least.