Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Ankle surgery

Anyone been through it?

Torn peroneal brevis tendon and some stretched ligaments. Wondering if anyone has gone through it.

Not looking forward to the first week  with the ankle elevated all the time.

One of the Final Five..........

3 times, all on the same ankle. The last one, had to get a new ligament (kept rolling my ankle combined with hyperflexibility makes for poort ankles and knees).

But yeah, ankle surgery sucks. I highly recommend getting one of those ankle scooter things to get around on rather than crutches or a wheel chair. You save the pain of crutches, and remain upright rather than sitting down in a chair.

I had my right ankle cleaned up 8-10 years ago to remove loose bodies and some spurring and to rebuild the anterior talofibular and calcanealfibular ligaments - both were completely ruptured, likely years ago as I had more than one severe sprain and quite a few lesser sprains of that ankle from basketball and other sports, though I had recently had another severe sprain that might have completed the job. I had some instability issues and was also concerned that if I didn't have it repaired, I'd end up like Bill Walton some day.

During recovery, I didn't need to have my foot elevated for days on end, just a brace and no weightbearing for about a week, so I'm not sure the procedures are really comparable, or at least the recovery regimen seems to be different. I did PT beginning a few weeks later and the ankle was great, much better stability...until I sprained it again about a year ago while hiking. It's not as bad as it was before, but some of the instability issues I had before the surgery have returned. PT for life.

I can't emphasize how important following the PT regimen is for a proper recovery. If you skimp on that, you'll regret it. Good luck. 

I don't envy you at all.  Hope it all goes well an you're back on your feet soon. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Turned my ankles more than I'd want to count playing basketball between 16 and 24 years old...........to the pint one Doc said I had some bone chips floating around...............but thus far no surgery 

Good luck, hope the recovery is quick and uneventful 

3 hours ago, mysfit said:

Anyone been through it?

Torn peroneal brevis tendon and some stretched ligaments. Wondering if anyone has gone through it.

My son did.  About this same time of the year too.  Losing the summer months was really tough for him.

Bad time of year.  Follow doctor's orders.  Got to focus on the long term and get it healed correctly.  Good luck with it.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Meanwhile, in Portland

1LpZF8L.gif

I like how the dudes arm is just casually hanging out the window. Zero +++++s given.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

7 hours ago, mysfit said:

Anyone been through it?

Broke my fibula and ruptured the deltoid ligament along with perineal brevis tendon damage in 2005. Fibula has a plate and 6 screws, feels mostly fine now unless the barometer drops. 

The rest of my ankle/foot still gives me tons of problems. Definitely do as much PT as possible. I regret ignoring it when I was younger and dumber. 

So I'm 10 days out from the repair of the peroneal brevis tendon, which had a bigger tear than he thought, and a Brostrom Gould repair of the ATFL with internal bracing. 

Posturedoc, something you might want to look into if your ankle still bothers you:

https://www.arthrex.com/foot-ankle/internalbrace-ligament-augmentation-repair

The block lasted 40 some hours which was nice. 5 days after surgery they changed the splint for a cast. 2 weeks in that and then the stitches come out and I get a CAM boot. No PT till 6 weeks post op. The cast is annoying, almost claustrophobic. The scooter is a must. Not too bad so far. All the rest is also helping that knee. Hoping most of my knee issues are related to the ankle torquing it. Thanks for all the input, especially about the importance of PT. Anxious to get to that point.

One of the Final Five..........

19 minutes ago, mysfit said:

So I'm 10 days out from the repair of the peroneal brevis tendon, which had a bigger tear than he thought, and a Brostrom Gould repair of the ATFL with internal bracing. 

Posturedoc, something you might want to look into if your ankle still bothers you:

https://www.arthrex.com/foot-ankle/internalbrace-ligament-augmentation-repair

The block lasted 40 some hours which was nice. 5 days after surgery they changed the splint for a cast. 2 weeks in that and then the stitches come out and I get a CAM boot. No PT till 6 weeks post op. The cast is annoying, almost claustrophobic. The scooter is a must. Not too bad so far. All the rest is also helping that knee. Hoping most of my knee issues are related to the ankle torquing it. Thanks for all the input, especially about the importance of PT. Anxious to get to that point.

Get well soon mysfit.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 6/20/2017 at 2:27 PM, Posturedoc said:

I had my right ankle cleaned up 8-10 years ago to remove loose bodies and some spurring and to rebuild the anterior talofibular and calcanealfibular ligaments - both were completely ruptured, likely years ago as I had more than one severe sprain and quite a few lesser sprains of that ankle from basketball and other sports, though I had recently had another severe sprain that might have completed the job. I had some instability issues and was also concerned that if I didn't have it repaired, I'd end up like Bill Walton some day.

During recovery, I didn't need to have my foot elevated for days on end, just a brace and no weightbearing for about a week, so I'm not sure the procedures are really comparable, or at least the recovery regimen seems to be different. I did PT beginning a few weeks later and the ankle was great, much better stability...until I sprained it again about a year ago while hiking. It's not as bad as it was before, but some of the instability issues I had before the surgery have returned. PT for life.

I can't emphasize how important following the PT regimen is for a proper recovery. If you skimp on that, you'll regret it. Good luck. 

Ditto!  Make sure you have an aggressive PT plan and follow through to the letter!  Think of PT like taking the full course of antibiotics following an infection.  If you don't follow through the infection can come back.  Some doc's are better than others at putting PT in place following surgery.  Some doc's could care less once the cutting is done and they've been paid.  However, a great Doc will get you set up with an experienced physical therapist and insist you take PT seriously.  Also, there are many physical therapy centers/therapists that go through the motions and are only interested in collecting your insurance money.  I recommend you research your physical therapist as much as your surgeon for it's almost as important to get a good one.  I've had 2 foot, 1 ankle and 1 knee surgery all on the right side.  I do many of the PT exercises from these operations even years later.  Helps greatly with range of motion, strength and most importantly re-injury.