Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluerules009

Investment idea's

So in my view the best investment idea's come from personal experience.

I was told by my daughter that I should use the Gmail Calendar. because I had always wanted a calendar that I could have on all my devices.   She had been laughing at me for carrying one of those old day timers because it was better than fucking around with a electronic device that you had to sync.  So she showed me how to use the google calendar and the maps and some some of the other stuff and I was hooked.   Bought google stock that day and never regretted it.

My Nephew hooked me up with Netflix, same deal bought the stock never looked back.

My point is the best way to identify the really good investments is to find them in your normal course of life.   In the old day I turned my dad onto mini-storage and we dumped almost all our rental properties to invest in something with great returns and no plumbing and little electrical problems.  Plus the eviction process is much easier.

So I am going to ask the MWC board.   What new products or services have really changed the way you do things?   They are so groundbreaking that you dumped what you did before and are using this new product or service.

25 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Prime.   I own a lot of amazon stock as I said.  I love them.

Bitcoin...but that's a bit speculative. I got into Ethereum too which has been wildly successful but it seems like a real bubble so I've jumped off while ahead in that.   I am scared to death of bitcoin.

Venmo. That really made just buying random shit from people easier. 

Google Maps. I also own a lot of Google and I love them.

Google Flights has become a godsend too. 

So Venmo is owned by paypal.

I have never bought their stock i will have to investigate.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say "I hate money". I like spending it and enjoying it, but I hate the "behind the scenes" of it. I have a financial advisor who make a percentage of money he earns me and I never have to deal with that "area" of it. I know if I did the actual research I might be able to make more, but I have no desire to do that research and go down that path.

7 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I'd be cautious about Tech right now. As I said in the other thread, the Fed raising interest rates is causing a lot of stir (and not necessarily in the good way). 

Amazon and Alphabet will be good going forward, though. Good things to hold on to. 

Yeah the economy sucks right now.  I am 50+% liquid right now because i hate the economy.   All i am holding are the things i would never sell like Amazon, google and  some oil stocks because oil is so undervalued and will go up over the next few years.

I don't mind short term losses on certain stocks.

5 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say "I hate money". I like spending it and enjoying it, but I hate the "behind the scenes" of it. I have a financial advisor who make a percentage of money he earns me and I never have to deal with that "area" of it. I know if I did the actual research I might be able to make more, but I have no desire to do that research and go down that path.

You would almost assuredly make more money by buying a wide based no load index fund from Vanguard or someone else.   If you aren't making in excess of 8% a year on your investment you really need to consider a no load index fund.   S&P 500 fund would be my choice.

Other than Madoff, Stanford and Buffett hardly anyone makes consistently enough money above the average of the market to pay themselves and earn the average of the S&P for you.

16 minutes ago, MCDigger said:

It's all real estate for us.

How is the Boise market? Hard to find deals in SLC because it's such a seller's market. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

It helps that my wife has been a home designer for home builders for the last 10 years and is now a realtor. Her eye for remodeling is coveted by other professionals in our area, and she gets paid well for consultation. 

Real estate will always fluctuate in every market, but steadily rise.

I'm lucky enough to live in a special area for the market. Prices are low but demand is high. Our unemployment is under 5%, and people are flocking here from all over the West.

Our next goal is to buy and restore vacation homes, and rent them out on VRBO. We'll let the flow of cash on one pay for the next. Then the two pay for the third, and so on.

Our goal is to retire early and vacation across the country with every trip being a business trip.

Side notes:

We had a family farm in meridian that's been in our family since 1960. We leased it out and moved our operation about 2 hours away in southern Idaho. Knowing that thefarm is on a major crossroads, and it's paid off, we've kept it just knowing it will pay off. It's for sale today for $10,000,000ish. It's on the corner of Franklin and Ten Mile if anybody is interested.

We sold a farm two years ago and had to do a 1031 exchange or Uncle Sam takes a ton of it. We purchased a golf course in Star, ID. it's zoned for subdivision in a ritzy neighborhood. They're b building a middle school a half mile away, and a high school next door. It's projected to make us an ungodly amount of money.

4 minutes ago, MCDigger said:

It helps that my wife has been a home designer for home builders for the last 10 years and is now a realtor. Her eye for remodeling is coveted by other professionals in our area, and she gets paid well for consultation. 

Real estate will always fluctuate in every market, but steadily rise.

I'm lucky enough to live in a special area for the market. Prices are low but demand is high. Our unemployment is under 5%, and people are flocking here from all over the West.

Our next goal is to buy and restore vacation homes, and rent them out on VRBO. We'll let the flow of cash on one pay for the next. Then the two pay for the third, and so on.

Our goal is to retire early and vacation across the country with every trip being a business trip.

Side notes:

We had a family farm in meridian that's been in our family since 1960. We leased it out and moved our operation about 2 hours away in southern Idaho. Knowing that thefarm is on a major crossroads, and it's paid off, we've kept it just knowing it will pay off. It's for sale today for $10,000,000ish. It's on the corner of Franklin and Ten Mile if anybody is interested.

We sold a farm two years ago and had to do a 1031 exchange or Uncle Sam takes a ton of it. We purchased a golf course in Star, ID. it's zoned for subdivision in a ritzy neighborhood. They're b building a middle school a half mile away, and a high school next door. It's projected to make us an ungodly amount of money.

I need to get familiar with the rules on a 1031 exchange. A farm for a golf course I hadn't thought of as a possibility. Sounds like you've got it rolling in the McDigger REIT. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

44 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I need to get familiar with the rules on a 1031 exchange. A farm for a golf course I hadn't thought of as a possibility. Sounds like you've got it rolling in the McDigger REIT. 

I have to give my wife most of the credit. She's somewhat of a guru when it comes to real estate.

I'm a couple three weeks out from taking the California State RE License Exam. I'll be looking for a mentor in the Davis area soon. I'll be looking for deals on apts, condos and townhomes around the University. 

27 minutes ago, Rocket said:

I'm a couple three weeks out from taking the California State RE License Exam. I'll be looking for a mentor in the Davis area soon. I'll be looking for deals on apts, condos and townhomes around the University. 

My wife is a Keller Williams agent. They are by far the best choice for realtors in our area. They offer a cap and you don't owe them does after $X amount annually, but the training is the best.

Forbes had them ranked #1 in training  and they have been magnificent. You should consider them. I'll be taking the courses and test throughout July. I would make money selling a couple ranchers than what I'm doing right now (and I'm doing pretty well right now).

2 hours ago, MCDigger said:

My wife is a Keller Williams agent. They are by far the best choice for realtors in our area. They offer a cap and you don't owe them does after $X amount annually, but the training is the best.

Forbes had them ranked #1 in training  and they have been magnificent. You should consider them. I'll be taking the courses and test throughout July. I would make money selling a couple ranchers than what I'm doing right now (and I'm doing pretty well right now).

Keller Williams is pretty big around here too. I've looked into the KW in Santa Cruz, nice people but I didn't find the "mentor" type I was looking for. I have heard about their training program, I just feel like I'd rather have one guy or gal hold my hand for a bit than be in a sea of faces all scratching and scraping for attention but that's just me and the way I felt about it. I live in a farming area currently and I probably could make good coin here but I like the atmosphere and energy of a college town which is why I'm looking at Davis. Plus I have an honor roll child that's a junior in high school and I want her to get the feeling of the college atmosphere. Maybe she'll choose to attend UC Davis, she doesn't have the desire to "go away" to college so I'm hoping she will. Your wife sounds a lot like mine in the sense that they have good fashion/design sense. 

16 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I was told by my daughter that I should use the Gmail Calendar. because I had always wanted a calendar that I could have on all my devices.   She had been laughing at me for carrying one of those old day timers because it was better than fucking around with a electronic device that you had to sync.  So she showed me how to use the google calendar and the maps and some some of the other stuff and I was hooked.   Bought google stock that day and never regretted it.

My Nephew hooked me up with Netflix, same deal bought the stock never looked back.

My point is the best way to identify the really good investments is to find them in your normal course of life.   In the old day I turned my dad onto mini-storage and we dumped almost all our rental properties to invest in something with great returns and no plumbing and little electrical problems.  Plus the eviction process is much easier.

So I am going to ask the MWC board.   What new products or services have really changed the way you do things?   They are so groundbreaking that you dumped what you did before and are using this new product or service.

Right there with you on Self Storage, same cash flow potential and scalability as large multi family properties but no tenants, no toilets and much lower expense ratios.

If you have the cash and the time, ranches on crappy land in the boonies with big or old prior appropriation water rights. Especially pacific drainage ones. City population is only going up, which means both more city water usage as well as more demand for food grown in huge high productive farm slike the imperial valley, barring an economic collapse consumption is not going to decrease, and that water is going to start getting valuable - especially easy to access water like that. If urbanization follows the path it seems to be, it will be like owning a permanently producing oil well. Might be more of a "so the grandkids are rich af" type investment instead of for you though.

Hydroponics. I am predicting that in 100 years we're going to be growing a ton of our food in local hydroponic centers. With this style of agriculture we can focus far more on taste and nutrition instead of hardiness or growth speed of the crop as well. I'm guessing ag schools like Iowa State are going to do research figuring out the best heirloom strains to engineer a little better, figuring out the best combination of soil and water to make them grow better and also have more nutrients. I'm also guessing that individual strains are going to be licensed to independently owned hydroponic facilities, kind of like franchising. If you can own a facility, you'll make some money; if you can get a sliver of ownership on a popular strain of, say, tomatoes or bell peppers, you're going to be wealthy. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Tried water moments after conception. Changed my life and been hooked ever since. Water will continue to be a popular product, especially clean water. And especially with leaders around the world working hard to make water as scarce and dirty as possible on the altar of job creation. 

What I am saying is buy water shares, domestic and international. Water works, desalination, environmental technology, etc. This is more of an ETF thing obviously and not something that will make you rich overnight, but a solid investment.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:45 PM, bluerules009 said:

Facebook stock has been the killer for me.  I can't credit anything but dump luck.  Technology is changing our lives and if you are lucky enough to pick the successes, you do really, really well.

I agree with you about investing in the stuff that's around you, that you use, etc.  You see, touch and feel alot of what happens to them.  Some of the others for me are:  Black Hills Energy (my energy company), Dow, Merck, Proctor & Gamble.

The World Needs More Cowboys!