Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Congress Majority Whip Steve Scalise shot

1 minute ago, MCDigger said:

It wasn't people at a baseball game.  Get the CNN cock out of your a$$.

This was a practice for a charity event, and these were not "random people" as you are implying.

Where did he imply random people?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Also, because I didn't do well enough in the Troll Derby, I'm gonna be "that guy".

Isn't this kind of thing EXACTLY why we have the 2nd amendment in the first place? You get so fed up by perceived tyranny of the government that you have the ability to have armed resistance? The reality of it isn't every romantic and George Washington and heroes, it's blood and screaming and confusion and terror. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Where did he imply random people?

You're kidding?  He can't figure out how hostility towards the current Republican POTUS and party leads to "shooting people at a baseball game".  A certain group of people were targeted.  It wasn't a random shooting at a random baseball game.

I shouldn't speculate that this was a leftist with an issue against the GOP, but the shoe fits.  So many times we're wrong about these things.

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Also, because I didn't do well enough in the Troll Derby, I'm gonna be "that guy".

Isn't this kind of thing EXACTLY why we have the 2nd amendment in the first place? You get so fed up by perceived tyranny of the government that you have the ability to have armed resistance? The reality of it isn't every romantic and George Washington and heroes, it's blood and screaming and confusion and terror. 

But we are nowhere near tyranny in this country.  I know some may believe we are but we aren't even close.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I'm sure you and Old_Dude are celebrating together

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

But we are nowhere near tyranny in this country.  I know some may believe we are but we aren't even close.  

I think people in the media and both sides of the isle need to tone things down. When places like CNN and their pundits keep putting out articles and reports calling people guilty of treason, before there is proof and claiming we are witnessing a tyrannical government, is not helping the cause. All it does is incite people who might be inclined to commit violent acts. Everyone just needs to chill the phuck out! Both sides have ratcheted up the rhetoric and it isn't helpful for our country at all.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Well, per Trump the shooter died of his wounds.  Hope his victims recover fully.  

Some posters here are talking about how crazy the world is, honestly I am surprised there isn't more acts like this given the vitriol we see these days.

Heard on radio (ABC News) that FBI found some social media posts indicating anger towards Trump.  

It happens enough. Gabby Giffords wasn't that long ago. I still can't believe Obama and Bush got through their eight years without someone taking a shot at one of them (unless you count an Iraqi shoe). The anger is everywhere, especially online. It's palpable, even on here. 

It seems people are taking their politics personally, while at the same time dehumanizing the other side. That's a dangerous cocktail. 

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

He did say "perceived" tyranny. There have been a LOT of people making a lot of hay for a number of years saying America is descending into "leftist" or "right wing" tyranny. 

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more violence. See the execution of the two Las Vegas police officers three years ago.

2 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I think people in the media and both sides of the isle need to tone things down. When places like CNN and their pundits keep putting out articles and reports calling people guilty of treason, before there is proof and claiming we are witnessing a tyrannical government, is not helping the cause. All it does is incite people who might be inclined to commit violent acts. Everyone just needs to chill the phuck out! Both sides have ratcheted up the rhetoric and it isn't helpful for our country at all.

Well said, but I would start with saying all of cable news. Because truly and honestly, Fox News rose to popularity by employing these very tactics. CNN and MSNBC are just following their model.

I can't say on here enough. Please turn off your TV when it comes to getting your news. Read your news.

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

We're not, but I'm honestly shocked more of this hasn't happened and sooner. 

You get these people in their electronic bubble/echo chambers, and there's no doubt mentally unstable people among them, and all day long they hear how terrible things are, how the Nazis are coming, how people are going to die in the streets from health care being cut off, BSU grandmas being thrown down stairs, etc. 

And it goes on 24 hours a day. Nonstop. Edited clickbait videos, quotes taken out of context, and on and on. It's on both sides of this polarized world. Surely the crazy people are going to get ideas. There's some old man I know who opined on Facebook that he wished Lee Harvey Oswald was around. These echo chambers, this isolation of people, it's become dangerous. And it's on both sides, and the polarized bubbles just don't stop churning out shit, and they're all convinced of some grand conspiracy that doesn't exist that they snap. 

There will probably be more of this going forward unfortunately, it's just a sign of the times. The unfortunate part is the average person will suffer due to even more eroded freedoms and liberties in the name of "security". 

I would like to make it clear that I'm all for throwing BSU grandmas down the stairs. Don't knock it until you try it.

Guest RoscoesDad
5 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

So, this is awful! I hate what is becoming of the partisan nature of political discourse in our country. But is this not just a red blooded American "exercising his 2nd Amendment option?"

It's completely unacceptable, but let's not pretend that the rhetoric has been one sided. 

The right wing groups that showed up to Bundy and Hammond Ranch were all there ready to kill US government officials and not one Republican gave a crap.  The rhetoric on both sides is equally dangerous, as we see today.  Effin Bernie supporters!!

Just now, Joe from WY said:

CNN might be bad but you see it on the other side too. No one side has a monopoly on pushing sensationalism for money. 

I agree. Cable News is fueling all of this. They have nightly news shows purposely designed to enrage us against the other side. Good for ratings, however cable news is very bad for our national unity. I cut the chord a while back and I refuse to watch any of it. 

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Well said, but I would start with saying all of cable news. Because truly and honestly, Fox News rose to popularity by employing these very tactics. CNN and MSNBC are just following their model.

I can't say on here enough. Please turn off your TV when it comes to getting your news. Read your news.

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I agree. Cable News is fueling all of this. They have nightly news shows purposely designed to enrage us against the other side. Good for ratings, however cable news is very bad for our national unity. I cut the chord a while back and I refuse to watch any of it. 

As bad as cable news was 4-5 years ago, I dunno how bad it has been since I stopped watching, what is even worse are all the stupid memes you see by the extremely partisan facebook groups.  

6 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

It's the smartest thing you can do. Cable news is a cancer eating away at all of us, even those of us who never watch it. Whether it's Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow, Rush Limbaugh or Ed Schultz, they trade in division and it affects us all. 

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I hadn't watched it in years but recently just wanted to see what was going on and it was crazy. This vitriol being fueled is leading to real consequences. I could see how someone could get sent over the edge watching it. 

Its brainwashing and its working.

Just now, Joe from WY said:

The social media definitely plays a huge part too. How many people do you see reposting "OCCUPYDEMOCRATS" or "LIBTARDLOGIC" or something that is grossly untrue but they just lap it up because it fits their perceived narrative. 

People have isolated themselves in electronic bubbles. This is what you see as a result of that. 

I like to call those conservative or liberal echo chambers. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

We're not, but I'm honestly shocked more of this hasn't happened and sooner. 

You get these people in their electronic bubble/echo chambers, and there's no doubt mentally unstable people among them, and all day long they hear how terrible things are, how the Nazis are coming, how people are going to die in the streets from health care being cut off, BSU grandmas being thrown down stairs, etc. 

And it goes on 24 hours a day. Nonstop. Edited clickbait videos, quotes taken out of context, and on and on. It's on both sides of this polarized world. Surely the crazy people are going to get ideas. There's some old man I know who opined on Facebook that he wished Lee Harvey Oswald was around. These echo chambers, this isolation of people, it's become dangerous. And it's on both sides, and the polarized bubbles just don't stop churning out shit, and they're all convinced of some grand conspiracy that doesn't exist that they snap. 

There will probably be more of this going forward unfortunately, it's just a sign of the times. The unfortunate part is the average person will suffer due to even more eroded freedoms and liberties in the name of "security". 

I agree with this.  The Godwin Law types need to chill out and live in a more real world.

7 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The social media definitely plays a huge part too. How many people do you see reposting "OCCUPYDEMOCRATS" or "LIBTARDLOGIC" or something that is grossly untrue but they just lap it up because it fits their perceived narrative. 

People have isolated themselves in electronic bubbles. This is what you see as a result of that. 

It's dangerous. You can get a taste of it on here. Those who actually engage in conversation with the other side tend to do very well in the non-sports forum, regardless of political ideology. (Not that we don't all get angry or get rough from time to time). But there are a handful who meltdown at any opposing view. They tend not to do so well.