Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Not Trying to be a Douche

But I had New Mexico finishing 9th or worst in the MW.  It looks like I'll be proven right.  Damien Jefferson is now leaving as well.  They will lose by 25 to Arizona on their home floor.  Luckily, they won't have Dick Vitalr saying they have limited talent throughout the course of the game.

Probably going to be a tough year. Really bummed about losing DJ. The change needed to be made though, and mass defections are always a risk. We were going to get mass defections anyway

8 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Probably going to be a tough year. Really bummed about losing DJ. The change needed to be made though, and mass defections are always a risk. We were going to get mass defections anyway

Anytime there's a new coach, it's an inevitable consequence.  With UNLV, we lost Jalen Poyser after he decided to stay for his sophomore year.  It's better to get rid of people too early vs too late because players basically always leave at some point after a coaching change.

9 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Given time, I think he can upgrade the talent level.  However, I'm disappointed in his assistant hires.  He used to work at Iowa, so he has P5 connections and could've gotten better assistants in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

But I had New Mexico finishing 9th or worst in the MW.  It looks like I'll be proven right.  Damien Jefferson is now leaving as well.  They will lose by 25 to Arizona on their home floor.  Luckily, they won't have Dick Vitalr saying they have limited talent throughout the course of the game.

Will Las Vegas finish ahead of them?

I posted this on TRM...

"He got players at his former school that expected, and didn't mind, hard work. 

IMO, Neal was pretty easy going on his guys, and it showed. The team was out of shape, and they would collapsed under pressure against any team we played that had hard working athletes. They would just wear us down.

Even compared to Alford's teams, Neal's teams were soft and slow, we all saw that on the court.

I will expect to here more names of Neal's Lobos hitting the road soon. Weir WILL get players that will work hard!"

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I posted this on TRM...

"He got players at his former school that expected, and didn't mind, hard work. 

IMO, Neal was pretty easy going on his guys, and it showed. The team was out of shape, and they would collapsed under pressure against any team we played that had hard working athletes. They would just wear us down.

Even compared to Alford's teams, Neal's teams were soft and slow, we all saw that on the court.

I will expect to here more names of Neal's Lobos hitting the road soon. Weir WILL get players that will work hard!"

He said something about weeding out players who don't fit his vision.

24 minutes ago, slappy said:

Will Las Vegas finish ahead of them?

UNLV will finish top four in conference.  Juiston will probably be the biggest addition.  One JUCO coach said that he would have put Iowa State back in the NCAAs if he chose to go there.

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV will finish top four in conference.  Juiston will probably be the biggest addition.  One JUCO coach said that he would have put Iowa State back in the NCAAs if he chose to go there.

Last to fourth in one year.  Baby steps youngster.  Baby steps

Yup. I'm sure we'll lose one or two more. Best to sweep the house clean now. Opens up schollies for guys that want to play full court press. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

52 minutes ago, slappy said:

It's perfectly realistic.  We once again have the most talented roster in the Mountain West, and the conference isn't that good.  Also, Menzies is an upgrade over Dave Rice.

2 hours ago, slappy said:

it WILL happen. you saw with whom MM had to cobble a team together last year, and with the talent we have coming in, don't be surprised to see preseason projections for the rebs to be even higher than that. and dave rice is gone. just sayin.

Jefferson is a big loss. Hunter not so much. Definitely a transitional year for UNM. The caliber of transfers that Weir is going after is impressive. But yeah, next year looks to be rough. 

1 minute ago, PTR said:

Jefferson is a big loss. Hunter not so much. Definitely a transitional year for UNM. The caliber of transfers that Weir is going after is impressive. But yeah, next year looks to be rough. 

It might take a year or two for them to get high level high school players.  He and his assistants don't have the connections yet with the higher level players.  They can get much better players at New Mexico.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

It's perfectly realistic.  We once again have the most talented roster in the Mountain West, and the conference isn't that good.  Also, Menzies is an upgrade over Dave Rice.

No we have the most talented roster

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

it WILL happen. you saw with whom MM had to cobble a team together last year, and with the talent we have coming in, don't be surprised to see preseason projections for the rebs to be even higher than that. and dave rice is gone. just sayin.

when I look at Unlv I see a MW last place team.  That is reality.   Yes you added some guys but there are a ton of question marks that need to be answered.  I like that everyone is excited.  But excitement alone can't get it done.  See Sanchez and your football team.  If you have a good coach you will finish 6/7, bad coach 8/9.  MM a good MW coach?  Jury still out.