Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

PAC 14, maybe growing to 16 ...

28 minutes ago, Mano said:

Yet, they do.

Once again, Utah is not the one holding BYU back. If the rest of the league supported BYU's entrance, my guess is that Utah would fall in line. Fortunately, that will never happen.

If the state government was to get involved they might ask Utah why are you playing a football game in Laramie Wyoming, but not willing to play one in Logan Utah?  That will not happen which makes them look even worse. I do not think state government should be involved with schools schedules, and never with schools that they do not govern. As a Ute grad I have voiced my concern with that, which is how things should happen, the government should stay out of it.

I have heard that the RES expansion could add as many as 10,000 more seats which will give us 55,000, do you have any inside info on that ?  I hope in the future I can get over my anger and watch the Utes again.

16 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

If the state government was to get involved they might ask Utah why are you playing a football game in Laramie Wyoming, but not willing to play one in Logan Utah?  That will not happen which makes them look even worse. I do not think state government should be involved with schools schedules, and never with schools that they do not govern. As a Ute grad I have voiced my concern with that, which is how things should happen, the government should stay out of it.

I have heard that the RES expansion could add as many as 10,000 more seats which will give us 55,000, do you have any inside info on that ?  I hope in the future I can get over my anger and watch the Utes again.

If they were to mandate Utah play USU, I could almost understand it, as at least it is a state run University. I still believe each school should be free to schedule whoever they think it is in their best interest to play. If the program fails due to the decisions of those in charge, replace them, but when a program is clean and thriving the state should stay out of it. Mandating that they play a private, religious institution is ridiculous. 

I have heard the same stuff about stadium expansion as you. Will probably happen, but seems like more of a priority to the fans than the administration.

What do you think about the state subsidies for athletics? 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

If they were to mandate Utah play USU, I could almost understand it, as at least it is a state run University. I still believe each school should be free to schedule whoever they think it is in their best interest to play. If the program fails due to the decisions of those in charge, replace them, but when a program is clean and thriving the state should stay out of it. Mandating that they play a private, religious institution is ridiculous. 

I have heard the same stuff about stadium expansion as you. Will probably happen, but seems like more of a priority to the fans than the administration.

Agree that the state meddling in scheduling and conference affiliation is ridiculous.  I do think it's the state's role to step in and end the insanity of athletic subsidies, put some kind of a cap on them.  At some schools, ten percent of tuition is going to cover the athletic subsidy.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

In the end WVU has bigger issues keeping it from B$G membership than whether or not it is a "northern" state.

Like a surplus of mattress shops but not enough dentists.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Mano said:

I wish USU used less state money, however that  should be left up to each university as to what they spend. The Utes spend very little money from the state, and to be honest most of the state monies , pay for non revenue sports because of title nine requirements.

I understand why football is more difficult for USU and Utah to play each other on a yearly basis, what I would like to see is a game in Logan every four or five years, and the same in SLC.

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

I wish USU used less state money, however that  should be left up to each university as to what they spend. The Utes spend very little money from the state, and to be honest most of the state monies , pay for non revenue sports because of title nine requirements.

I understand why football is more difficult for USU and Utah to play each other on a yearly basis, what I would like to see is a game in Logan every four or five years, and the same in SLC.

So, you are cool with the Universities spending any amount of state funds they please? I disagree. Athletics is subsidized at $708 / student each year at USU. This is excessive.

http://financialreports.utah.gov/saoreports/2015/AR15-02NCAAAthleticsSubsidizationUtahSystemofHigherEducation.pdf

Table 1. Subsidization of Athletics Revenue at Utah Public Colleges and Universities in FY 2014 Total Total FTE Amount Athletics Athletic Activity Athletics Percent Student School Revenue 1 Revenue 2 Subsidy3 Subsidized Enrollment4

University of Utah 56,470,309 $ 46,608,203 $ 9,862,106 $ 17.5% 29,498 334.33 $

Utah State University 25,152,919 10,973,374 14,179,545 56.4% 20,010 708.62

Weber State University 13,377,336 4,493,849 8,883,487 66.4% 14,448 614.86

Utah Valley University 11,191,569 1,590,150 9,601,419 85.8% 19,642 488.82

Southern Utah University 9,728,291 2,637,534 7,090,757 72.9% 6,087 1,164.90

Dixie State University 5,449,121 1,848,635 3,600,486 66.1% 5,977 602.39

Salt Lake Community College 1,966,175 236,303 1,729,872 88.0% 17,479 98.97

Snow College 1,668,640 374,130 1,294,510 77.6% 3,210 403.27

Total 125,004,360 $ 68,762,178 $ 56,242,182 $ 45.0% 116,351 483.38 $

(4) Annualized FTE Budget Related Only (source: Utah System of Higher Education 2015 Data Book Tab C) (3) The subsidy includes student fees restricted to athletics, tuition waivers, direct institutional support, and state support, as well as indirect

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

37 minutes ago, Mano said:

So, you are cool with the Universities spending any amount of state funds they please? I disagree. Athletics is subsidized at $708 / student each year at USU. This is excessive.

http://financialreports.utah.gov/saoreports/2015/AR15-02NCAAAthleticsSubsidizationUtahSystemofHigherEducation.pdf

As I said I wish that USU did not need to use as much state money as they do, however I do not like state involvement. I guess they could force schools to play each other, belong to the same conference, and put a limit on spending, taking as much control of the running of the school as they want. I understand that as a whole state spending as a percentage of total budget is getting less and less at USU and some other state universities.

The remodel of Maverik stadium has brought a increase in donor spending which has added $2 million to the budget, which is a good amount, when one is talking about a projected $35 million for the next budget.

Some states put much more money into Universities athletic buildings which of course does not happen in Utah. The U of U only got $8 million help in the construction of RES. Wyoming would have spent $25 million to help with that building. USU would have no debt if we had gotten half the money from the state for the remodel of Maverik, or the Estes center or the ICON weight facility.

21 hours ago, Mano said:

Nobody in the government mandated that we play.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 6/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, Joe from WY said:

They're southern. 

Where would you put Kentucky? There's your answer. 

K'tuck & Tenn are Mid-South

2 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

So how did the state audit "force" Yewtah to play BYU in basketball?

I could care less about either school, and rather they play or not, but it is naive to think that this special audit was anything but a pressure tacit to force a state school to play a private school, and to claim that they were concerned about Weber and USU  getting games is as silly as it gets. I'm still waiting for the home and home with the Utes.

If Utah does not want to play USU in Logan in football or basketball that is their decision, and the government should not force them to play. Utah does not want to play BYU but somehow the games get scheduled.

14 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

They aren't mid-north though. 

On a macro level they in The South.  On a micro-level they are Mid-South, definitely NOT Deep South.

3 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

On a macro level they in The South.  On a micro-level they are Mid-South, definitely NOT Deep South.

NC or AR aren't the deep south either.  No one argues that those are southern states though.  Kentucky is the south, Virginia is the south, and Tennessee is the south.  WV, it's in purgatory, but most don't call it north or south.  They just call it WV, or Appalachia.

ETA:  Gun to my head, I would say WV is southern.  Bluegrass and folk music, moonshine, conservative leaning, and devotion to heritage.  A healthy blend of the south.