Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

New Lobo Head Coach...

Paul Weir, said today in his presser, that he wants to re-establish regular, regional rivalries with schools like Utep, Arizona, Texas Tech, and... BYU! I'm down for that! I've said all along, that playing BYU again in both football and basketball, would be a gold mine for UNM. Would probably guarantee a basketball sellout, and a near football sellout... hope it happens!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I agree with him on all of those except BYU.  Screw them.  Let them rot in the WCC and Indy hell.  They are a major reason this league is where it is at right now.  If they want to play us, come back to the league.  If not, screw them.  At least that's my opinion.

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Fido said:

#1Stunner will be thrilled.

Friend, I am thrilled.

As a proud New Mexican, this would be a huge basketball series.

5 hours ago, Poster17 said:

I agree with him on all of those except BYU.  Screw them.  Let them rot in the WCC and Indy hell.  They are a major reason this league is where it is at right now.  If they want to play us, come back to the league.  If not, screw them.  At least that's my opinion.

New Mexico was more than happy to jump ship with BYU to form the MWC and leave the rest of the then WAC 16 teams out in the cold, so none of the MWC teams should have had much to say about them leaving the MWC. 

Not sure why he wants to play Texas Tech.  They're not very good.  They get an artificial rating boost because they play in the BIG XII.  The RPI doesn't factor in how you play in the game like KenPom does.

On 6/1/2017 at 8:04 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Paul Weir, said today in his presser, that he wants to re-establish regular, regional rivalries with schools like Utep, Arizona, Texas Tech, and... BYU! I'm down for that! I've said all along, that playing BYU again in both football and basketball, would be a gold mine for UNM. Would probably guarantee a basketball sellout, and a near football sellout... hope it happens!

I love this guy.  I hope he can coach as good as he can sell.  He has me fired up for our future.  BYU and Arizona on the schedule every year would be automatic sellouts.

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not sure why he wants to play Texas Tech.  They're not very good.  They get an artificial rating boost because they play in the BIG XII.  The RPI doesn't factor in how you play in the game like KenPom does.

Did you even read the OP?  The coach said he wants to "re-establish regular, regional rivalries".  Distance from Albuquerque to Lubbock?  Answer:  319 miles.  Checks the regional box.  Number of times New Mexico and Texas Tech have played each other in basketball?  Answer:  31 times with 13 games played between 1990 and 2010.  Checks the regular box.   Last time played?  Answer 2010.  Checks the re-establish box.  C'mon PH, quit spending all of your time at that whorehouse and educate yourself more if you want that coveted respected poster title.

Distance from the New Mexico border: 70 miles. Opportunity for New Mexican businessmen to give their Tech-loving colleagues hell: priceless.

15 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Did you even read the OP?  The coach said he wants to "re-establish regular, regional rivalries".  Distance from Albuquerque to Lubbock?  Answer:  319 miles.  Checks the regional box.  Number of times New Mexico and Texas Tech have played each other in basketball?  Answer:  31 times with 13 games played between 1990 and 2010.  Checks the regular box.   Last time played?  Answer 2010.  Checks the re-establish box.  C'mon PH, quit spending all of your time at that whorehouse and educate yourself more if you want that coveted respected poster title.

I read it perfectly fine.  My point is why would he want to play against a program that isn't very good just for the sake of having a regional rivalry?

UNM playing Texas Tech, at home or away, would sell tickets! Lobo fans would flock to Lubbock by the hundreds to see our Lobos play there in football and baskerball. Money maker for both schools... has nothing to do with RPI... UNM wouldnt have done anything but help TT's RPI the past few years too. 

Just like playing Utep and nmsu... it would be done purely for the fans, and for BITS...$$$.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

20 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM playing Texas Tech, at home or away, would sell tickets! Lobo fans would flock to Lubbock by the hundreds to see our Lobos play there in football and baskerball. Money maker for both schools... has nothing to do with RPI... UNM wouldnt have done anything but help TT's RPI the past few years too. 

Just like playing Utep and nmsu... it would be done purely for the fans, and for BITS...$$$.

UTEP has been garbage as of late.  New Mexico State has been really strong.  I'm not really sure what UTEP's problem has been.

Again, it's about giving the fans what they want to see. Utep has big crowds against UNM and nmsu. Same for us and aggies, when playing teams that are close by, our fans will travel to see these games... doesn't matter about being garbage... we have been too, so we can't talk.

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Again, it's about giving the fans what they want to see. Utep has big crowds against UNM and nmsu. Same for us and aggies, when playing teams that are close by, our fans will travel to see these games... doesn't matter about being garbage... we have been too, so we can't talk.

You want to limit games against garbage teams.

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

You want to limit games against garbage teams.

And what if those "garbage teams" turn out to have an outstanding year...? What if the quality teams we're sch'd to play, turn out to have garbage seasons? One never knows what's gonna happen in a season. But again... NO MORE TIME... For just those regional teams THAT OUR FANS want to see us play... It's about BITS! That's 3 games out of a 31 game schedule. Not gonna hurt anything...

7 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

And what if those "garbage teams" turn out to have an outstanding year...? What if the quality teams we're sch'd to play, turn out to have garbage seasons? One never knows what's gonna happen in a season. But again... NO MORE TIME... For just those regional teams THAT OUR FANS want to see us play... It's about BITS! That's 3 games out of a 31 game schedule. Not gonna hurt anything...

You can't know for certain how teams are going to do, but the past is generally a good indicator of the future.  Arizona is a team they should play as often as possible.  I'm glad that Sean Miller will do home and homes with the upper level MW teams.  He even did a home and home with UTEP.

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I never thought about the money making aspect.  You made a good point.