Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

how many New Year Bowls did BYU miss... by leaving the MWC & going Indy

3 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

You guys are the ones that can't fill out a schedule without the MWC.

You guys are the ones that keep signing up for games.  If you didn't sign up, it would be someone else.  Very few MWC games after this upcoming season.  I'll tell you one thing, there aren't any BYU fans that give a crap about playing New Mexico.  What a drag you've been on this league forever.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

40 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Assuming that SDSU had joined the AAC, wouldn't their travel costs have greatly improved?

SDSU would have been in a California league (Big West) for basketball and other sports.   And only had 4 "long travel" football games per year in the AAC.  

4 road games, 1 of which would be to texas, the other to Boise...would be it...the rest of our sports would travel far less and my baseball team would finally be in a legit league.

24 minutes ago, SLCPoke said:

I'm not saying you don't have a bit of a chunk extra, but don't try and compare it to an AAC travel schedule. San Diego State to a smattering of schools from either conference:

UNLV- 324 miles

Wyoming- 1,115 miles

Air Force- 1,140 miles

CSU- 1,136 miles 

New Mexico- 767 miles

Boise State- 951 miles

Utah State- 828 miles

Nevada- 556 miles

AAC:

Tulsa- 1,412 miles

UCONN- 2,906 miles

South Florida- 2,441 miles

East Carolina- 2,616 miles

Memphis- 1,804 miles

Houston- 1,462 miles

Yep the struggle would have really been helped going to an east coast conference. 

Looks like besides UNLV and Nevada, those are all flights far from the fanbase,and will cost you a full day for travel.    Looks like better opponents, better locations for game times, and some better locations if you choose to travel (Memphis, NOLA, Tampa, Orlando).

Am I missing something here?

Plus...........P6!

22 minutes ago, SLCPoke said:

I'm not saying you don't have a bit of a chunk extra, but don't try and compare it to an AAC travel schedule. San Diego State to a smattering of schools from either conference:

UNLV- 324 miles

Wyoming- 1,115 miles

Air Force- 1,140 miles

CSU- 1,136 miles 

New Mexico- 767 miles

Boise State- 951 miles

Utah State- 828 miles

Nevada- 556 miles

AAC:

Tulsa- 1,412 miles

UCONN- 2,906 miles

South Florida- 2,441 miles

East Carolina- 2,616 miles

Memphis- 1,804 miles

Houston- 1,462 miles

Yep the struggle would have really been helped going to an east coast conference. 

Hey smart guy. If every sport except football ISN'T in the AAC please explain how travel gets worse overall. Also, those east coast schools don't need special charter flights thanks to weather and altitude. 

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Looks like besides UNLV and Nevada, those are all flights far from the fanbase,and will cost you a full day for travel.    Looks like better opponents, better locations for game times, and some better locations if you choose to travel (Memphis, NOLA, Tampa, Orlando).

Basically a conference with major locations/cities vs mostly backwaters in low pop high altitude....such a hard decision.

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

Not any of them, face it @#1Stunner and byu fans, the cougars can't survive without the MWC whether they make more money as an Indy or not.

And that's the bottom line.

Yes, we need the November home games this conference happily provides.   The MWC is our November "booty call" that we reach out to when we have a need and otherwise forget and could care less about.  Thank you MWC!

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

You guys are the ones that keep signing up for games.  If you didn't sign up, it would be someone else.  Very few MWC games after this upcoming season.  I'll tell you one thing, there aren't any BYU fans that give a crap about playing New Mexico.  What a drag you've been on this league forever.

UNM doesn't schedule byu, and nice try at trolling. You should be their mascot.

12 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Oh, you don't?  Or we don't schedule you?  Not much interest on BYU's end about football games with New Mexico.  Plus, beating you by thirty a couple years ago in hoops sure made us worry about what we're missing out on by not having the Lobos around.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

18 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

It's because BYU hasn't needed New Mexico.  If/when that itch ever comes up, we'll call and the Lobos will happily allow us to scratch it.  That's just the way it works.

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Oh, you don't?  Or we don't schedule you?  Not much interest on BYU's end about football games with New Mexico.  Plus, beating you by fifty a couple years ago in hoops in Hawaii sure made us worry about what we're missing out on by not having the Lobos around.

UNM doesn't want to schedule you trolls, after byu tried to sabatoge the MWC, UNM and the other 4 original members that have a spine don't and won't. It's not like you guy are something special and we are missing out. You guys are legends in your own minds.

Truth is New Mexico will make a New Year's Bowl before you trolls do and you know it.

1 minute ago, Lobo Amor said:

UNM doesn't want to schedule you trolls, after byu tried to sabatoge the MWC, UNM and the other 4 original members that have a spine don't and won't. It's not like you guy are something special and we are missing out. You guys are legends in your own minds.

Truth is New Mexico will make a New Year's Bowl before you trolls do and you know it.

Don't call us.  We'll call you.

v0icAvfW.jpg

2013 and 2015 are the only seasons to examine, because those are the two times BYU had teams that could actually beat Boise St. and win the MWC championship.

The 2013 team lost to 2-10 Virginia and its big wins were over 8-5 Texas and 8-5 Boise St. BYU would not get the Fiesta Bowl bid over 12-1 UCF - who had wins over Penn St., 12-1 Louisville, 8-5 Houston, and a 3-point loss to 11-2 South Carolina.

The 2015 team lost to 5-7 Missouri and its big wins were over 6-7 Nebraska and Boise St. (5-3 in the MWC that year). BYU would not get the Peach Bowl bid over 12-1 Houston - who beat 8-5 Louisville on the road and 11-2 Navy and 10-4 Temple...and a 3-point loss to 6-7 UConn (who barely lost to Missouri).

Instead of trying to chase the Big Bowl dream - that would not have been realized any time during the last 6 years - independent BYU has played regular season Big Games against Texas (x3), Notre Dame (x2), UCLA (x2), Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., and Cal (Thanksgiving weekend), and Arizona and WVU in NFL venues, while maintaining series with its rival Utah and Utah State and Boise State.

The main problem with BYU's November schedules is....no Utah. Rather than signing up for the MWC November lineup, BYU has mostly USC, Stanford...and Utah...over Thanksgiving weekend from 2019 to 2025. And, it's not like the years where BYU's lackluster November schedules are any worse than what the MWC would offer - in fact, they look very much like what the MWC might offer. 

And, don't overlook the next 4 or 5 years - LSU in an NFL stadium, Wisconsin, Mississippi St., Arizona, Cal, Washington, Tennessee, USC, Washington St., Michigan St., Arizona St., Minnesota, Missouri, Stanford, etc.

So, go for the dream of playing one of these schools in a Big Bowl once in 6 or 10 or 15 or 20 years - OR play 5 or 6 of them each year, with plenty of them in Provo.

And, this response doesn't even discuss the real goals of independence - fan access and exposure - which BYU has gained in spades over the last 6 years and counting. Not even a comparison to BYU's experience in the MWC - even with Utah and TCU in the conference.

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Hey smart guy. If every sport except football ISN'T in the AAC please explain how travel gets worse overall. Also, those east coast schools don't need special charter flights thanks to weather and altitude. 

Interesting that you didn't leave then.....smart guy. Just trying to bring in facts. Flying 60+ guys per trip equates to a lot more $$$ than a 12 man basketball team. I'm not saying it's amazing for you in the MWC as far as travel goes but the AAC expense would have been more than I think is being fronted. Maybe since I'm so smart I'll do the math on a per trip per person basis if I decide I care that much. 

tetons1.jpg

46 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Link?  Surely you can provide a link proving such a nefarious claim.  We are something special.  Your lack of insight regarding that is a reason BYU isn't here and this league is less competitive than it was during the good times.  Nobody around here is losing sleep about the UNM Hobos.  

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

First, BYU will win 6 MWC games this season.  No other MWC school will win more MWC games than BYU in 2017.

Second, here is the income BYU has gained from going Indy:

2015 Reporting Year:

Revenues:  $62,563,289

Expenses:  $54,429,683

Net:  $8,133,596

2009 Reporting Year - Last Full Year in the MWC:

Revenues:  $40,999,978

Expenses:  $35,450,765

Net:  $5,549,214

Third, Eastern Idaho always has been, and always will be BYU property.   Rexburg Idaho is the host city of the largest enrollment University in the State of Idaho.

Fourth, I'm calling on CSU to immediately enter into a football and basketball scheduling deal with BYU.

Fifth, I'm calling on Hawaii to immediately put down the shackles of travel subsidies, and to follow BYU in Independence.  The MWC is holding Hawaii back.

Never happen without travel subs.  Time to move along.

1 hour ago, SLCPoke said:

Interesting that you didn't leave then.....smart guy. Just trying to bring in facts. Flying 60+ guys per trip equates to a lot more $$$ than a 12 man basketball team. I'm not saying it's amazing for you in the MWC as far as travel goes but the AAC expense would have been more than I think is being fronted. Maybe since I'm so smart I'll do the math on a per trip per person basis if I decide I care that much. 

Lol, basketball and baseball would be joining a bus league. Not to mention women's hoops, track, and many other sports. You're clueless. 

5 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Lol, basketball and baseball would be joining a bus league. Not to mention women's hoops, track, and many other sports. You're clueless. 

So clueless. If it was such a large savings why didn't you just go anyway? You'd have had Tulsa, Houston, SMU and Tulane to rotate through to give you 2 "close" away games a year. Im honestly not trying to be a douche, I'm just saying if the finances were so much better then why didn't SDSU just go anyways? Why didn't they partner with Fresno State and just go when Boise bailed? So many options but for some reason your administration didn't make the leap. I don't follow your administration closely so I'm not sure if it has changed since then or not. You can call me clueless and insinuate that I have below average intelligence, but your school didn't move. With that said, I enjoy having SDSU in the conference. 

tetons1.jpg

Guest Dr. Dre
14 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Plus...........P6!

Man, I wish we would've stuck it out. We'd be far better off