Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Are voter ID laws racist?

33 minutes ago, tspoke said:

And they've found that they aren't voting in our elections. At least at any rate that is worrisome.

And if the government provided ID's to people for free and had great access to places to receive ID's then voter ID laws would be fine(in my mind). But getting an ID requires a cost which makes ID requirements essentially a poll tax.

Sure most people have a hard time functioning in society without an ID but some people choose to live this way or are forced to live this way due to circumstance.

Since there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud due to lack of ID requirements, this is a solution in search of a problem as a way to cover for trying to take away voting rights of the poor/minorities.

This is how I feel.

However as an aside, it's criminally stupid that every resident of a state doesn't have a free photo ID just from a governing standpoint. It someone doesn't have an ID they're cut off from a lot, they are a pain to law enforcement, and they face barriers for little stuff like buying cigarettes which help state tax revenue. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Here is the thing that is so phuking hilarious.   All the people that IRL's claim would be overly effected by not having ID like seniors, people on SS disability, poor people ect..   are all people that have to have ID to function.   You don't get medicare or Social security without an ID and in fact you almost always need your birth certificate specifically as well as a government I.D..   You don't get welfare without I.D., you don't get low income housing or section 8 benefits without I.D.

The people you are saying would not have I.D. are actually the people who need I.D. the most in our society.

16 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Yeah, not having an ID sucks, but when your state is actively trying to prevent you from getting one by denying you services and keeps you from registering to vote even when you have one, it's not surprising 

And how do you know the people in neighborhoods you're in (presumably in Idaho, lol) have IDs? Do you ask? Do you deal with a lot of rural black poor, suburbanized black poor, or inner city black poor that are isolated from state services?

I live in Idaho now, my experiences come from living in Indiana and Kentucky. Do a google search for Louisville Kentucky, West End. Lived and spent time there. I know it's hard to believe but not everyone has spent time living in the suburbs their whole life. Without an ID, you can't drive, you can't get a job, you can't buy cigarettes, you can't buy alcohol, you can't open a bank account, it's going to be hard to find an apartment. Actual homeless people and illegal immigrants are probably the majority of adults in this country who don't own an ID. Now if someone is trying to stop someone from getting an ID, that would be the real crime. 

You may have found court cases that shot down certain voter ID laws, but most studies have found that voter ID laws have little to no effect on voter turnout. Just because it isn't required in your state, doesn't mean its suppresses votes. That is what you hear from the far left. 33 states have enacted laws that require some form of ID to vote. Including liberal states like Hawaii, Michigan, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Delaware. If it suppresses votes, then why wouldn't those liberal States change the laws. They would have enough votes to do so at anytime. Countries like Canada, Greece, France, Belgium, and Spain all require ID in order to vote. I'm sure those countries did it to suppress the minority vote as well. The idea that voter ID laws are there to suppress the minority vote is a lie that has been feed to people like you to scare you into voting along party lines. 

44 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I agree with the bolded with the caveat that they must not put hoops up to getting the ID's. Like the reports out of Georgia or Tennessee or some other southern state where they were closing DMV's in the poor democratic districts forcing people to have to travel for several hours to receive their licenses. However, until that happens then there must not be a requirement for an ID to vote.

I don't know how people get by without an ID either but apparently it happens. And those people still have the right to vote.

So if they make it easy and free for every American to get a photo ID I would be inclined to agree to voter ID laws however since in person voter fraud doesn't seem to be an issue then it isn't a major thing I think we need to do. The current system seems to be working.

See, that's nonsense.  That is racist and divisive to manage it like that.  

I really can't wrap my mind around people not have ID.  You need it for much more menial things than voting.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

See, that's nonsense.  That is racist and divisive to manage it like that.  

I really can't wrap my mind around people not have ID.  You need it for much more menial things than voting.

I  briefly relooked it up and the one I was thinking about was in Alabama and they closed a bunch of rural counties DMV centers and it just so happened that 8 of them were in the 10 most democratic counties in the state. It was to save money and of course the governor said it had nothing to do with politics and I thin things were done to lessen the effects like opening the offices one day a month(still not very accessible). This was done a year after voter ID laws went into effect.

I'm my mind though it doesn't matter if they were motivated y politics or not. If you are forced to shut down DMV's across the state that hamper peoples access then you shouldn't have voter ID laws.

I think every state should give ID's to every adult citizen for free if they are not already doing so. States like Texas started giving ID cards to legal citizens after they passed their voter ID laws. 

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I like laughing at uppity liberals as much as the next guy, but are we just going to ignore that the journalist had to go to Manhattan for his "gotcha" moment? NYC has the highest population density in the US and Manhattan has the best public transportation system in the world. Because of that, it is easy for anyone to walk or take a bus/subway to the DMV. (Manhattan is also one of the most liberal areas in the country. Related? I dunno.)

Why didn't the journalist interview black people in Mississippi, South Carolina, or Alabama? You know, states with large rural populations where voter ID laws are actually an issue? Did the journalist know that his predominately white audience would just see black people and not know the difference? Newsflash: Black people in Manhattan aren't the same as black people in BFE, North Carolina. 

I'm not taking a stance either way, but I know bullshit when I see it. I'd be interested to see how his interviews would turn out in some shithole in the south.

8 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

I like laughing at uppity liberals as much as the next guy, but are we just going to ignore that the journalist had to go to Manhattan for his "gotcha" moment? NYC has the highest population density in the US and Manhattan has the best public transportation system in the world. Because of that, it is easy for anyone to walk or take a bus/subway to the DMV. (Manhattan is also one of the most liberal areas in the country. Related? I dunno.)

Why didn't the journalist interview black people in Mississippi, South Carolina, or Alabama? You know, states with large rural populations where voter ID laws are actually an issue? Did the journalist know that his predominately white audience would just see black people and not know the difference? Newsflash: Black people in Manhattan aren't the same as black people in BFE, North Carolina. 

I'm not taking a stance either way, but I know bullshit when I see it. I'd be interested to see how his interviews would turn out in some shithole in the south.

That's why it's wrong to stereotype any group of people. Those college kids were referring to black people in general. Had they specified black people living in rural areas, then it would make more sense to go interview people living in Alabama. 

Guest #1Stunner
59 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Great point.

I think the guy lives in New York.   Not sure though.

Guest #1Stunner
48 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

That's why it's wrong to stereotype any group of people. Those college kids were referring to black people in general. Had they specified black people living in rural areas, then it would make more sense to go interview people living in Alabama. 

Do we know this for sure?

Everyone talks like Black people living in rural areas are helpless, and not capable of finding the DMV or getting an ID.  I'm not sure that this is a fair assessment. 

If you can't even get a basic ID...voting is the least of your worries and frankly, you won't be informed enough to make a quality vote anyway.

You can claim voter ID laws are racist and it's because Republicans don't want you to vote.

I can claim not having voter ID laws are racist and Dems want to exploit the poor and uninformed into voting for their do-nothing promises and "We good, they racist" mottos. Maybe even get a few illegals in there to vote as well.

You can't do shit without an ID.

As an American it is your right to vote. Go ahead and make the case for a free government issued voter ID.

Ridding voter ID laws is just outright stupid though.

Ironic how many of these "RUSSIANS" people that are so concerned with the validity and sacredness of our voting process, but are open to the idea of making it easier for voter fraud....

Fantasy land left at it again.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, Fort Fun said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

7 hours ago, BroncoOrange said:

I've never met a black adult that did not have an ID. There are some illegal immigrants out there that I'm sure would have a hard time getting one. 

So you ask every black adult you encounter if they have an ID? That's pretty +++++ing creepy...

Guest #1Stunner
11 hours ago, jackmormon said:

So you ask every black adult you encounter if they have an ID? That's pretty +++++ing creepy...

It's racist for Democrats to keep pushing this narrative that rural Black people are dumb and incapable of figuring out how to find the DMVs, and obtain IDs, no?  

Why is there this assumption that rural white people are smart enough to obtain IDs, but that rural black people are not capable of doing this?  This is just obvious racism.

Logan is rural, and no one would say that the almost all-white people living in Logan are too dumb to figure out how to obtain IDs.  So why are people making this insulting claim about rural black people?

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It's racist for Democrats to keep pushing this narrative that rural Black people are dumb and incapable of figuring out how to find the DMVs, and obtain IDs, no?  

Why is there this assumption that rural white people are smart enough to obtain IDs, but that rural black people are not capable of doing this?  This is just obvious racism.

Logan is rural, and no one would say that the almost all-white people living in Logan are too dumb to figure out how to obtain IDs.  So why are people making this insulting claim about rural black people?

Well, let me think on that a little before I say anything. :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The guy said that he has never met a black adult that didn't have an ID. How would he know that?

It has nothing to do with the drivel you somehow extracted out of it.

4 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

The guy said that he has never met a black adult that didn't have an ID. How would he know that?

How many black adults have you met that don't have an ID of any kind? 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Well, maybe he is a clerk at a gas station or supermarket? Then he'd have to check ID's regularly.

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Well, maybe he is a clerk at a gas station or supermarket? Then he'd have to check ID's regularly.

It's obvious.   He was probably a Mormon Missionary in a mostly black, inner city area for 2 years, and befriended a lot of black people.  

He probably came to the conclusion that these people were as smart as he was, and that this narrative that black people are not smart enough to figure out how to obtain IDs is BS.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

It's obvious.   He was probably a Mormon Missionary in a mostly black, inner city area for 2 years, and befriended a lot of black people.  

He probably came to the conclusion that these people were as smart as he was, and that this narrative that black people are not smart enough to figure out how to obtain IDs is BS.

Or maybe he is, in fact, the only black man he knows and he has an ID?

1f719c7e7e0c84742ffd3ce166aa358d5e29faa1