Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Are voter ID laws racist?

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Do voter ID law suppress minority voting? Yes, because they suppress anyone who lives away from essential services and who don't have the resources to get there. Statistically that impacts minorities more than white people.

Do voter ID laws target minorities? No, they generally target people who republicans think are statistically more likely to vote democrat. It's a game between D and R to get voting laws that benefit them, be they districting or voting restrictions.

Is it easy to find stupid college kids? Yes. You aren't in college because you have everything figured out, college is there to give you the tools to be able to figure things out

Is it ridiculously easy to make a video cut with 4 interviews that give guys on here the dopamine rush that "omg I'm smarter than college kids lawl"? Yeah and it's kinda disappointing you guys didn't recognize that in yourself

The Supreme Court Disagrees...

"In a victory for voting rights advocates, the Supreme Court has turned down an appeal from North Carolina’s Republican leaders and let stand a decision that struck down their 2013 law that added new restrictions on voting.

The 4th Circuit Court had branded the law as racially biased and said North Carolina lawmakers had targeted black voters “with almost surgical precision"

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-supreme-court-rejects-appeal-over-north-1494857245-htmlstory.html

55 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

How about if you have a "club", and exclude people of a certain race?

Like a cafeteria at a college

Or Student Unions?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Courts have found that some are, and with surgical precision 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

29 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Courts have found that some are, and with surgical precision 

I've never met a black adult that did not have an ID. There are some illegal immigrants out there that I'm sure would have a hard time getting one. 

7 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I've never met a black adult that did not have an ID. There are some illegal immigrants out there that I'm sure would have a hard time getting one. 

That's great though, because illegal immigrants shouldn't be voting in our elections, right?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

That's great though, because illegal immigrants shouldn't be voting in our elections, right?

Not if you are a liberal, you should not discriminate against anyone for any reason. The same people who do not want people to have to show their ID while voting also want open boarders. 

12 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

Well, you probably don't spend time in areas affected by these laws. And it's not me saying that, it's the highest courts in our country saying that 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer said:

And they've found that they aren't voting in our elections. At least at any rate that is worrisome.

And if the government provided ID's to people for free and had great access to places to receive ID's then voter ID laws would be fine(in my mind). But getting an ID requires a cost which makes ID requirements essentially a poll tax.

Sure most people have a hard time functioning in society without an ID but some people choose to live this way or are forced to live this way due to circumstance.

Since there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud due to lack of ID requirements, this is a solution in search of a problem as a way to cover for trying to take away voting rights of the poor/minorities.

Just now, tspoke said:

And they've found that they aren't voting in our elections. At least at any rate that is worrisome.

And if the government provided ID's to people for free and had great access to places to receive ID's then voter ID laws would be fine(in my mind). But getting an ID requires a cost which makes ID requirements essentially a poll tax.

Sure most people have a hard time functioning in society without an ID but some people choose to live this way or are forced to live this way due to circumstance.

Since there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud due to lack of ID requirements, this is a solution in search of a problem as a way to cover for trying to take away voting rights of the poor/minorities.

It's not even the idea of voter fraud that bugs me with this stuff, it's the reasons given for not needing an ID.  How do these people buy alcohol or cigarettes?  How do they set up utilities?  How do they register for social services without ID?  

I think a government issued ID should be free to whoever wants to put for the effort to get it, and it should be acceptable to use for all of those reasons I listed above.  

To me, it's more just the principle that you should have to show that you are who you say you are to participate in something as important as an election.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

21 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Well, you probably don't spend time in areas affected by these laws. And it's not me saying that, it's the highest courts in our country saying that 

I'm not sure of the exact case you are referring to and without study the case I couldn't tell you if look like discrimination or not. However, just because a judge or a court rules on something doesn't make it right or wrong. Our court system is far from perfect and far too political. Also I have spent  time (not just a few times) in very poor neighborhoods that had very few white people living there. I don't recall anyone complaining about this topic. As an adult you can't even function with out an ID. If you don't have ID you have bigger problems you are dealing with then not being able to vote. Not sure who all these people are, that don't have one?   

14 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I'm not sure of the exact case you are referring to and without study the case I couldn't tell you if look like discrimination or not. However, just because a judge or a court rules on something doesn't make it right or wrong. Our court system is far from perfect and far too political. Also I have spent  time (not just a few times) in very poor neighborhoods that had very few white people living there. I don't recall anyone complaining about this topic. As an adult you can't even function with out an ID. If you don't have ID you have bigger problems you are dealing with then not being able to vote. Not sure who all these people are, that don't have one?   

Yeah, not having an ID sucks, but when your state is actively trying to prevent you from getting one by denying you services and keeps you from registering to vote even when you have one, it's not surprising 

And how do you know the people in neighborhoods you're in (presumably in Idaho, lol) have IDs? Do you ask? Do you deal with a lot of rural black poor, suburbanized black poor, or inner city black poor that are isolated from state services?

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Yeah, not having an ID sucks, but when your state is actively trying to prevent you from getting one by denying you services and keeps you from registering to vote even when you have one, it's not surprising 

And how do you know the people in neighborhoods you're in (presumably in Idaho, lol) have IDs? Do you ask? Do you deal with a lot of rural black poor, suburbanized black poor, or inner city black poor that are isolated from state services?

Which States are actively trying to prevent Black people from getting IDs?  What roadblocks are they putting in place.  I'm genuinely curious. . . .

Also, there is this underlying assumption that rural blacks, or inner city blacks can't figure out how to get on a bus, or the internet, and get IDs (like they are too dumb to figure it out).  This bothers me, and is racist.  (not saying you are saying this, just from the responses in the video).

The only group that I can think of that might have trouble taking initiative to get current IDs would be senior citizens.   But I don' think that would be limited to just black people.

21 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

It's not even the idea of voter fraud that bugs me with this stuff, it's the reasons given for not needing an ID.  How do these people buy alcohol or cigarettes?  How do they set up utilities?  How do they register for social services without ID?  

I think a government issued ID should be free to whoever wants to put for the effort to get it, and it should be acceptable to use for all of those reasons I listed above.  

To me, it's more just the principle that you should have to show that you are who you say you are to participate in something as important as an election.

I agree with the bolded with the caveat that they must not put hoops up to getting the ID's. Like the reports out of Georgia or Tennessee or some other southern state where they were closing DMV's in the poor democratic districts forcing people to have to travel for several hours to receive their licenses. However, until that happens then there must not be a requirement for an ID to vote.

I don't know how people get by without an ID either but apparently it happens. And those people still have the right to vote.

So if they make it easy and free for every American to get a photo ID I would be inclined to agree to voter ID laws however since in person voter fraud doesn't seem to be an issue then it isn't a major thing I think we need to do. The current system seems to be working.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I agree with the bolded with the caveat that they must not put hoops up to getting the ID's. Like the reports out of Georgia or Tennessee or some other southern state where they were closing DMV's in the poor democratic districts forcing people to have to travel for several hours to receive their licenses. However, until that happens then there must not be a requirement for an ID to vote.

I don't know how people get by without an ID either but apparently it happens. And those people still have the right to vote.

So if they make it easy and free for every American to get a photo ID I would be inclined to agree to voter ID laws however since in person voter fraud doesn't seem to be an issue then it isn't a major thing I think we need to do. The current system seems to be working.

OK, that is a great example of the State discriminating.   Good point, if that is true.  

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Which States are actively trying to prevent Black people from getting IDs?  What roadblocks are they putting in place.  I'm genuinely curious. . . .

The only group that I can think of that might have trouble taking initiative to get current IDs would be senior citizens.   But I don' think that would be limited to just black people.

North Carolina and Wisconsin 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/public-safety/appeals-court-strikes-down-north-carolinas-voter-id-law/2016/07/29/810b5844-4f72-11e6-aa14-e0c1087f7583_story.html

I posted better links somewhere on this site of the actual appeals court decisions, but I'm on my phone rn 

Republican-led Voter ID laws in both states were found to be racially discriminatory 

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

North Carolina and Wisconsin 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/public-safety/appeals-court-strikes-down-north-carolinas-voter-id-law/2016/07/29/810b5844-4f72-11e6-aa14-e0c1087f7583_story.html

I posted better links somewhere on this site of the actual appeals court decisions, but I'm on my phone rn 

I have no problem with voter ID laws, but I agree, that there cannot be any substantial roadblocks to getting an ID.   If a person has to ride the bus a reasonable distance to the DMV, then I am OK with that.  If they have to ride the bus for 3 hours, that is a bit ridiculous.