Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Most Californians unwilling to pay for "free" healthcare ....

Shocking.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

California has a nice, long history of wanting things and not wanting to pay for them.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Shocking.  

I'm all for it if they do. Would be a great experiment in the philosophy of states competing with one another. The most interesting thing would be what would happen with neighboring states like Arizona and Nevada. Would companies and households relocate to or from California as a result? I think I know the answer but the real question is whether or not California is willing to test the risk vs reward. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm all for it if they do. Would be a great experiment in the philosophy of states competing with one another. The most interesting thing would be what would happen with neighboring states like Arizona and Nevada. Would companies and households relocate to or from California as a result? I think I know the answer but the real question is whether or not California is willing to test the risk vs reward. 

I would love for all these +++++s to move back to California.

However, the higher taxes would literally just push more of their trash right into Las Vegas.

Why would someone move from Nevada back into California to pay more for less and then add another 15% tax onto it?

No experiment needed.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

And this is another example of why I could never join the democratic party. I like keeping and spending the money I earned by going to work. However, our health care system is messed up and something should be done, but it's clear single payer is not the answer, unless you hate the money you earn each week. 

6 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

And this is another example of why I could never join the democratic party. I like keeping and spending the money I earned by going to work. However, our health care system is messed up and something should be done, but it's clear single payer is not the answer, unless you hate the money you earn each week. 

defining that "something" is the hard part.

16 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

defining that "something" is the hard part.

The overall cost of things. Prescriptions cost too much compared to other countries. Hospitals should no be allowed to charge $8 for two Tylenols. There are a lot of things like that, if changed would help a great deal. It would probably cause your premiums to go way down.  

6 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

The overall cost of things. Prescriptions cost too much compared to other countries. Hospitals should no be allowed to charge $8 for two Tylenols. There are a lot of things like that, if changed would help a great deal. It would probably cause your premiums to go way down.  

If it was that simple it would've been done.

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Nothing is simple.  Hospitals charge too much because of write-offs from those who don't pay at all.  Insurance companies charge doctors a lot for malpractice insurance because even the slightest mistake on a complex procedure can get you sued for millions.  Doctors practice defensive medicine and order every test in the book and lots of consults so they don't get sued.  People don't take care of themselves.  They want to eat pizza and beer 7 days a week and then be prescribed a pill to fix all the bad outcomes.  Drug companies charge the US more than the rest of the world because they bought Congress a long time ago.  Things are the way they are because a lot of people are making a lot of money the way things are.  Big money's got a mean streak. Big money's got no soul.

We're past the tipping point -- more people live off the dole rather than work and pay taxes.

The tyranny of the majority will give everyone the "right" to health care, as long as the minority pays for it!

In a twist of logic, Cal's governor called taxpayers "freeloaders." 

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/12/gov-brown-defends-gas-tax-local-legislator/

Obamacare premiums have doubled, but that's OK because more people have access to health care, right?

https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/256751/IndividualMarketPremiumChanges.pdf

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I never said it was simple, just said there are obvious things that lead the increased cost. I defined the something like you asked. Just because something is hard doesn't mean you don't try and fix it. 

52 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I never said it was simple, just said there are obvious things that lead the increased cost. I defined the something like you asked. Just because something is hard doesn't mean you don't try and fix it. 

Yeah, but you gave me a problem. A problem that we all agree on. But it's easy to say prices should be lower. The question is how do you lower the prices?

Are you for government setting up price caps on private hospitals and pharmaceutical companies? And if you are, are you willing to live with fewer dollars spent on things like pharmaceutical R&D? Are you going to say to hospitals that they should not treat patients who do not have the means to pay? 

1 hour ago, nomascows said:

Nothing is simple.  Hospitals charge too much because of write-offs from those who don't pay at all.  Insurance companies charge doctors a lot for malpractice insurance because even the slightest mistake on a complex procedure can get you sued for millions.  Doctors practice defensive medicine and order every test in the book and lots of consults so they don't get sued.  People don't take care of themselves.  The want to eat pizza and beer 7 days a week and then be prescribed a pill to fix all the bad outcomes.  Drug companies charge the US more than the rest of the world because they bought Congress a long time ago.  Things are the way they are because a lot of people are making a lot of money the way things are.  Big money's got a mean streak. Big money's got no soul.

All this is true, and yet it is just scratching the surface. It isn't just "big money has got no soul." It's we have a health care system that is massive in size, incredibly complicated, with many interests that compete. There are no easy answers and no solutions that are perfect. 

The choices are:

1) It's too costly tax wise to go single payer & cover everyone, therefore we dump ObamaCare AND TrumpCare and go back to the model pre-ACA where premiums were rising just as fast as under the ACA......if you come down with something, hope you get cured and hope you have the assets to cover costs.....................and you have your insurance company in between you and your doctor ................if not, pre-arrange funeral plans & get into bankruptcy.

2) Go big on taxation and cover everybody with a model that other single payer countries use......... we pay more tax, but employers don't have to offer health insurance to employees at a major savings to business and no one gets left out.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

The choices are:

1) It's too costly tax wise to go single payer & cover everyone, therefore we dump ObamaCare AND TrumpCare and go back to the model pre-ACA where premiums were rising just as fast as under the ACA......if you come down with something, hope you get cured and hope you have the assets to cover costs.....................and you have your insurance company in between you and your doctor ................if not, pre-arrange funeral plans & get into bankruptcy.

2) Go big on taxation and cover everybody with a model that other single payer countries use......... we pay more tax, but employers don't have to offer health insurance to employees at a major savings to business and no one gets left out.

The problem is that is not true with single payer.

Something that you always seem unwilling or too stupid to understand.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

The problem is that is not true with single payer.

Something that you always seem unwilling or too stupid to understand.

It could be said no one gets left out in the old system either since anyone can go to the emergency room and stick taxpayers with the bill after hospitals raise costs and pass costs along to cover indigent care costs