Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Baseball Conference Playoffs

New playoff format this year with the top 4 teams playing in the playoff as oppose to last year where all teams played. 
First game starts at 3pm MT and can be watched on the MWDN via themw.com, the MW app on Apple or Android or on Livestream.com or Livestream app.
http://www.themw.com/page/watch-live
3pm MT: SDSU vs Fresno
7pm MT: New Mexico vs Nevada.

The MWC should be better in baseball overall - UNM has done well recently while SDSU has done ok..........Fresno needs to get back and UNLV can't remain the dud it's been for the last number of years. 

So based on the above, I can understand why the MWC went with the top 4 finishers & letting the last 3 sit home.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The MWC should be better in baseball overall - UNM has done well recently while SDSU has done ok..........Fresno needs to get back and UNLV can't remain the dud it's been for the last number of years. 

So based on the above, I can understand why the MWC went with the top 4 finishers & letting the last 3 sit home.

I'm glad we cut the bottom three out. I never liked how some of our teams had to burn so many pitchers in such few days.. championship games and semi final games with scores of 17-10? No thanks. 

1 minute ago, brillio said:

I'm glad we cut the bottom three out. I never liked how some of our teams had to burn so many pitchers in such few days.. championship games and semi final games with scores of 17-10? No thanks. 

Good point, the deeper format burned starting pitcher in 1 vs 7 & 2 vs 6 games.........this 4 team format will have the best arms going head to head 

1 minute ago, brillio said:

I agree. With 7 teams, it is easy to overwork pitches. To your last point, the tourney is in New Mexico so there may  still be some high scoring games. 

15 hours ago, brillio said:

15 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good point, the deeper format burned starting pitcher in 1 vs 7 & 2 vs 6 games.........this 4 team format will have the best arms going head to head 

I never took into account those points.   It was just something I notice when looking at the brackets.  It looks like its still a double elimination.   Here is the line to the pdf.

https://mwc-platform-secure.silverchalice.co/v3/files/5920d59fe4b0a219cd005e91

Here is last years bracket.

https://mwc-platform-secure.silverchalice.co/v3/files/574922fde4b03f754fe32592

We basically cut out a day and 5 games.  I like the new format and hope they keep it when Boise St gets baseball going to be the 8th baseball team.

Is Boise for sure starting up baseball? I kind of liked how each team had a bye for a weekend series and could get a series with another conference with odd number of teams, like us and Clemson this year.