Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dr. Dre

The next TV contract. What will it take to keep the Aztecs?

34 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Incorrect.  I don't think they are much better off.  "making it work" is a better claim.

They have dwindling attendance, crappier bowl games, their recruiting has suffered, no shot at NY6 games and nothing to play for.  Is that worth a couple million in TV money and a few extra P5 opponents?  Don't think so.

What are we missing out on by not being here?  BYU has the same shot at an NY6 as anyone else in the P5 does.  The team is much deeper, in particular on the lines, than it was 6 years ago.  Attendance has hovered around 60k for years, better than many P5 teams. 

And here's the show stopper:  Why would any of that be remedied by being here?  You could easily craft an argument that all the things you've listed besides no shot at NY6 would be worse.  We've had this NY6 things for a few years and the MWC team has gone once.  It's a moving target, like it always has been.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Um, what G -5 conference went to The New Years bowls the last 2 years?

So join the MAC.  Enjoy your Tuesdays.

3 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Um, what G -5 conference went to The New Years bowls the last 2 years?

ok... the mac last year (and lost), the AAC the year before (and won), and i'll go back one year further. boise to the fiesta bowl the year before (and won).

just sayin.

unlv is still scratching their heads about how new mexico got the best basketball coach out of new mexico st.i don't think the leaders at unlv are competent enough to even consider independence.

update:

left coast indy syndicate

byu

sdsu

hawaii

boise

fresno

29 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I won't acknowledge that.  They left a depleted league, got a huge raise, didn't have to deal with Hair anymore, and now have better schedules and are on TV more often.  And for the most part, they still play several of the teams the fans care about from the league they left.  I'd like to play CSU, but I don't care about playing Wyoming or UNM, and we'd have been in a division with those two.

What is BYU missing out on here?

See, but I don't think we'd be thriving here.  We'd have missed out on millions in revenue for out athletic dept.  We'd be in this stupid TV deal you guys have agreed to.  The mtn would still be alive, because BYU advertising and the fanbase were a big reason that was able to keep going.  BYU would probably get chosen for games so they'd make a bonus, but I don't want to do that to our partners.  Revenue should be split equally.  BYU never did that type of stuff when we were here, yet people act like we were the bad guy around here.  There's games we've played in that just could not have happened if we were not independent.  The reason for the disdain should be evident.  It's high times and pats on the back for Utah and TCU, but BYU takes a way better financial opportunity and makes their own way to a better schedule and it's nothing but "BYU has penis envy" and "BYU is arrogant, they don't think they need anyone".  It's ridiculous.  It would be like making fun of someone who worked for JPMorgan because they didn't get on at Goldman Sachs or Deloitte.  At that point in time, it was the best they had going for them, and it's worked out great, all things considered.  There's certainly disadvantages to it, but it's been much better than I thought it would be five years ago.  

BYU games are cheap for ESPN, so I think we'll be doing fine come renegotiation time.  They're paying 30 million a year for the home games of Indiana and Oregon State.  Teams like that are going to take a bath when renegotiation comes up.  BYU games cost them only a few million and BYU has all the production equipment so they just have to send their team out and not their truck and all that extra cost.

The best thing you guys could do would be to get Boise in line with even revenue sharing, if you want a bonus system, then it should be merit based (not screwing over SDSU every year, as I think they've deserved bonuses), and firing Hair for a more progressive and inventive commissioner.  Give the conference champion a bonus.  Give the team with the most All League players a bonus.  Give the team with the most P5 wins a bonus.  Don't just give a bonus to Boise because they're Boise.  You're paying them for past performance.

I agree here.  BYU did for BYU.  BYU can do the indy route in football, because that is the school "for Mormons everywhere" like ND is the school "for Catholics everywhere".  Plus, their alumni base is everywhere.

I have no ills for BYU bouncing, and am surprised people do.  Seem to be doing the same competitively in all sports, make more revenue, and have as good a shot at the at-large ( Not G5 guarantee  one) bowl as anyone.  They just haven't had a great team to make it happen yet.  If BYU went 11-1 next year, with its only loss to the toughest road game, they would be playing in January, imo.

Some folks are just burnt because you have an "I hate BYU" stick in your ass, are just jealous they are doing what we can't, or a mixture of both.

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree here.  BYU did for BYU.  BYU can do the indy route in football, because that is the school "for Mormons everywhere" like ND is the school "for Catholics everywhere".  Plus, their alumni base is everywhere.

I have no ills for BYU bouncing, and am surprised people do.  Seem to be doing the same competitively in all sports, make more revenue, and have as good a shot at the at-large ( Not G5 guarantee  one) bowl as anyone.  They just haven't had a great team to make it happen yet.  If BYU went 11-1 next year, with its only loss to the toughest road game, they would be playing in January, imo.

Some folks are just burnt because you have an "I hate BYU" stick in your ass, are just jealous they are doing what we can't, or a mixture of both.

That's always my response to anyone who says we can't go to the G5 game.  I don't really care. All the bowls besides the big ones are stupid.  The bowl situation is no different for BYU now.  If they are good enough to go to the G5 game, they'd be good enough for a NY6, and they haven't had a team that was good enough to do it.

People like @Scooter are mad BYU didn't stick around and keep slumming it here, and decided to finally do what was best for them.  I think the TV deal would be worth a bit more if BYU was here.  I don't think you'd see the nonsense with Boise's special deal either.

BYU's historical norm is an 8-9 win year with a bowl and some wtf wins and wtf losses.  Even with the harder schedules, that's still been about the norm.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 5/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, Dr. Dre said:

With the stadium battle in full gloves off mode, there has been a lot of talk on sports radio this past week about SDSU's ambitions both academically and athletically. Quite frankly, the local talking heads have not been kind to the Mountain West conference- with one host calling it an "absolutely HORRIBLE conference" and another mentioning its filled with "pathetic competition". A lot of talk about how we need to be thinking P5 and/or BOR. With that said, I think the new TV contract is critical to keep us in the MWC. And I don't think it has a @ph90702 chance of getting laid without emptying out his piggy bank. First of all, the Boise deal would have to go bye, and they're not going to let that happen. Second, the contract would have to be worth our while. Right now, we could get more our third tier rights alone. 

What will the new TV contract consist of, and will it be the end of the MWC?

LOL

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Wyoming does alright getting P5 teams in Laramie.

Lol

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Guest Dr. Dre
6 hours ago, HighNTight_SD said:

Meh ... we could make a go at football independence and parking our Olys in the Big Lots (lateral move from a 1 bid conference to a 1 bid conference).

TV-wise it could possibly generate more for the university than what we'd get than if we stayed in the MW ... not a high bar as MW media revenue is already under $2M per school and projected to fall.

SD county is home to the 8th largest city in the country with a population of roughly 3.5 million (more if you add Southern Orange County and Southern Riverside County) -- that is a larger population than some states ... and is attractive to advertisers who are seeking to reach a market that has been abandoned by the NFL.

The stadium situation is messy to be sure ... the bird in the hand is the land we already own that we could build a stadium on -- but the prize is certainly obtaining the MV site. It would have been better if we had a reliable development partner, but SDSU can and probably will submit a bid on the site as an alternative to the land grab that is the "Sucker City" proposal.

I have a feeling that football independence waters are being tested by SDSU in the form of more vocal dissatisfaction with the conference media deal and agreeing to schedule BYU late season as well as new partnerships announced with Fox Sports.

This is indeed an interesting proposition -- not too far outside the realm of possible.

Beautifully put

Guest Dr. Dre
5 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

LOL

Certainly SJSU's academics are worth a chuckle. Which are dreadful. Along with just about everything else.

Guest Dr. Dre
8 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What are those advantages, anyway?

You're kidding, right?

Pick ANYTHING

10 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

Certainly SJSU's academics are worth a chuckle. Which are dreadful. Along with just about everything else.

I didn't go to SJSU. But I think it's cute when one member of the CSU system thinks it's academically different than another one. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

20 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Not that it matters or makes SDSU an interesting expansion candidate for the P-5 but Nevada is considered a blue state these days..

I do think it matters. Politics is part of the culture of cohesive conferences. Politics is the main reason CU left the B12 for the Pac. WIth one glaring exception, politically the Pac is composed of leftist schools (Washington, Cal and UCLA) to politically moderate ones. The onlyreal exception would be ASU (Phoenix and Tucson might be just an hour and a half apart but Tucson is a bastion of political moderation in what is now probably the most conservative state in the west not called Utah and SLC is similarly politically moderate.) Remember, some in the B12 actually thought they could get the Zona schools back, partially because one barely fits the Pac's political profile and the other is a square peg in a round hole.

The MWC?

Left of center locations: SJSU and Hawaii

Politically moderate locations: SDSU, Fresno State, UNR, UNLV, UNM and CSU

Right of center locations: Boise, USU, Wyoming

Far right location: AFA in the capital of the western Bible Belt

Anybody see a pattern? Although Fort Collins might be politically moderate CSU is stuck between Laramie and Colorado Springs geographically and may always be joined at the hip with UW and AFA. However, to the extent politics matters, the other seven among the first eight should be separate from everybody else.

Boom goes the dynamite.

19 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think the league would be hurt if SDSU left.

I KNOW it.

Boise's worth to ESPN telecasts has been very important to MWC football. However, the combination of BB tournament credits and the value of SDSU football telecasts to the MWC's deal with CBS-Sports makes us equally necessary to the conference. Other than AFA, nobody else in the conference provides even close to the value of Boise and SDSU - although Fresno, UNLV and UNM have the potential to rise above the financial mediocrity of the rest of the pack.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I KNOW it.

Boise's worth to the ESPN telecasts has been very important to MWC football. However, the combination of BB tournament credits and the value of SDSU football telecasts to the MWC's deal with CBS-Sports makes us equally necessary to the conference. Other than AFA, nobody else in the conference provides even close to the value of Boise and SDSU although Fresno, UNLV and UNM have the potential to rise above the financial mediocrity of the rest of the pack.

Not for nothing, but that is half the conference.  And I would add CSU.

I pose a question to you, good sir.  What if somehow this conference collective got back to its days of being truly competitive.  NY6 busters not named Boise, at-large bids and wins in the basketball, baseball and softball NCAA's, multiple ranked teams in multiple sports.  Would your thoughts of leaving change?  What if we got the tier 3's and somehow got more national games?  Just trying to gauge the threshold.

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Air Force is pretty close.  They just bitch a lot less. 

AFA has a lot less fans, imo.  People cheer for "their team" and AFA if they went to AFA.  I don't think very many kids grow up cheering for AFA.

Maybe an AFA fan can comment, but I'm not sure they have the same budgetary concerns as state schools do.