Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dr. Dre

The next TV contract. What will it take to keep the Aztecs?

BYU is a unique program.  Hawaii is a nice mid major thousands of miles away..Schools are pulling away from 13 game schedules because it beats up their players..Hawaii is in a tough spot.  If their athletic department could make financial and competitive sense out of independence it would have happened already..

14 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

We're making like 6-7 times what we used to make here.  Your athletic departments would give their left nut to see that kind of cash.

Hey, it's the look at me BYU fan. 

Go buy some milkshakes with that extra million or so your making and leave us all alone.  no one is buying what you are selling.  NO ONE.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

3 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Go buy some milkshakes with that extra million or so your making and leave us all alone.  no one is buying what you are selling.  NO ONE.

Hey, it's Scooter and he's going to tell us what's what!  He is, after all, the next Big Thing

You still haven't told me what sticking around here would have gotten BYU, Scooter.  Care to answer the question?  What would it have gotten BYU to stick around in a depleted MWC?  What is BYU missing out on?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, Scooter said:

except he is right. byu is much better off at this point as an independent, they are one of the few schools that have a big enough following that they can make it work for the time being. who knows what will happen later, but they are certainly better off right now than being in the MW.

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer said:

Hey, it's Scooter and he's going to tell us what's what!

You still haven't told me what sticking around here would have gotten BYU, Scooter.  Care to answer the question?  What would it have gotten BYU to stick around in a depleted MWC?

As soon as you acknowledge that BYU suffers from severe penis envy and that you are no better off being independent I'll answer your question.

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

except he is right. byu is much better off at this point as an independent, they are one of the few schools that have a big enough following that they can make it work for the time being. who knows what will happen later, but they are certainly better off right now than being in the MW.

Incorrect.  I don't think they are much better off.  "making it work" is a better claim.

They have dwindling attendance, crappier bowl games, their recruiting has suffered, no shot at NY6 games and nothing to play for.  Is that worth a couple million in TV money and a few extra P5 opponents?  Don't think so.

This thread is way too long to catch up.

But TV contracts are at it's peak already. ESPN won't be able to make another deal like they have before. Competition gets bleak and prices stay the same or even fall.

SUDS and any other school with P5 dreams are about 10 years behind the game. Any expansion will be taking out of other schools' pockets...thus meaning no more expansion.

Also means independence is out of the question for anyone who doesn't have a national brand. SDSU means South Dakota State to those east of Colorado.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

5 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Incorrect.  I don't think they are much better off.  "making it work" is a better claim.

They have dwindling attendance, crappier bowl games, their recruiting has suffered, no shot at NY6 games and nothing to play for.  Is that worth a couple million in TV money and a few extra P5 opponents?  Don't think so.

and you're sure the attendance and recruiting is because they're independent? what do you think it would be doing if they were still part of the MW?

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

and you're sure the attendance and recruiting is because they're independent? what do you think it would be doing if they were still part of the MW?

Increasing UNLV attendance.

sPwgpLj.gif?noredirect

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

29 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

We're making like 6-7 times what we used to make here.  Your athletic departments would give their left nut to see that kind of cash.

You are doing better than you would be doing if you had stayed.  No question about that.  You still aren't P5 level.  You are surviving, not thriving.  The question at hand is any other MWC going indy.  Hawaii could.  The rest of us need cover.  I still believe BYU is better off working to elevate a conference, than disdaining to be a part of one.  I don't think this is the best conference to be a member of, but the rest of us need a conference and (IMO) so does BYU.

We'll see what the future brings.  The TV bubble is deflating in a hurry.  I realize BYUTV isn't going anywhere, but it's not your big revenue generator either.

No teams in the MWC have a shot if they go indy, and none of them can survive if the MWC continues the stale and predictable inside the box thinking we have now.  I get that presidents have the final say, but they trust conference leadership to run the conference just like they trust athletic directors to run athletic departments.  We have enough history for a halfwit to see that conference leadership is incapable.

NOW, before TV negotiations begin, we need to clean house and find a new direction or we are destined to become the MAC.

41 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

BYU is a unique program.  Hawaii is a nice mid major thousands of miles away..Schools are pulling away from 13 game schedules because it beats up their players..Hawaii is in a tough spot.  If their athletic department could make financial and competitive sense out of independence it would have happened already..

13th game week zero gives you 2 bye weeks

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

8 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

You are doing better than you would be doing if you had stayed.  No question about that.  You still aren't P5 level.  You are surviving, not thriving.  The question at hand is any other MWC going indy.  Hawaii could.  The rest of us need cover.  I still believe BYU is better off working to elevate a conference, than disdaining to be a part of one.  I don't think this is the best conference to be a member of, but the rest of us need a conference and (IMO) so does BYU.

We'll see what the future brings.  The TV bubble is deflating in a hurry.  I realize BYUTV isn't going anywhere, but it's not your big revenue generator either.

No teams in the MWC have a shot if they go indy, and none of them can survive if the MWC continues the stale and predictable inside the box thinking we have now.  I get that presidents have the final say, but they trust conference leadership to run the conference just like they trust athletic directors to run athletic departments.  We have enough history for a halfwit to see that conference leadership is incapable.

NOW, before TV negotiations begin, we need to clean house and find a new direction or we are destined to become the MAC.

Currently the MAC would be a step up 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Meh ... we could make a go at football independence and parking our Olys in the Big Lots (lateral move from a 1 bid conference to a 1 bid conference).

TV-wise it could possibly generate more for the university than what we'd get than if we stayed in the MW ... not a high bar as MW media revenue is already under $2M per school and projected to fall.

SD county is home to the 8th largest city in the country with a population of roughly 3.5 million (more if you add Southern Orange County and Southern Riverside County) -- that is a larger population than some states ... and is attractive to advertisers who are seeking to reach a market that has been abandoned by the NFL.

The stadium situation is messy to be sure ... the bird in the hand is the land we already own that we could build a stadium on -- but the prize is certainly obtaining the MV site. It would have been better if we had a reliable development partner, but SDSU can and probably will submit a bid on the site as an alternative to the land grab that is the "Sucker City" proposal.

I have a feeling that football independence waters are being tested by SDSU in the form of more vocal dissatisfaction with the conference media deal and agreeing to schedule BYU late season as well as new partnerships announced with Fox Sports.

This is indeed an interesting proposition -- not too far outside the realm of possible.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Just now, Warbow said:

Currently the MAC would be a step up 

So go indy already.

No the MAC would not be a step up in coverage, distribution, or competition.  Not even close.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

So go indy already.

No the MAC would not be a step up in coverage, distribution, or competition.  Not even close.

Um, what G -5 conference went to The New Years bowls the last 2 years?

37 minutes ago, Scooter said:

As soon as you acknowledge that BYU suffers from severe penis envy and that you are no better off being independent I'll answer your question.

I won't acknowledge that.  They left a depleted league, got a huge raise, didn't have to deal with Hair anymore, and now have better schedules and are on TV more often.  And for the most part, they still play several of the teams the fans care about from the league they left.  I'd like to play CSU, but I don't care about playing Wyoming or UNM, and we'd have been in a division with those two.

What is BYU missing out on here?

22 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

See, but I don't think we'd be thriving here.  We'd have missed out on millions in revenue for out athletic dept.  We'd be in this stupid TV deal you guys have agreed to.  The mtn would still be alive, because BYU advertising and the fanbase were a big reason that was able to keep going.  BYU would probably get chosen for games so they'd make a bonus, but I don't want to do that to our partners.  Revenue should be split equally.  BYU never did that type of stuff when we were here, yet people act like we were the bad guy around here.  There's games we've played in that just could not have happened if we were not independent.  The reason for the disdain should be evident.  It's high times and pats on the back for Utah and TCU, but BYU takes a way better financial opportunity and makes their own way to a better schedule and it's nothing but "BYU has penis envy" and "BYU is arrogant, they don't think they need anyone".  It's ridiculous.  It would be like making fun of someone who worked for JPMorgan because they didn't get on at Goldman Sachs or Deloitte.  At that point in time, it was the best they had going for them, and it's worked out great, all things considered.  There's certainly disadvantages to it, but it's been much better than I thought it would be five years ago.  

BYU games are cheap for ESPN, so I think we'll be doing fine come renegotiation time.  They're paying 30 million a year for the home games of Indiana and Oregon State.  Teams like that are going to take a bath when renegotiation comes up.  BYU games cost them only a few million and BYU has all the production equipment so they just have to send their team out and not their truck and all that extra cost.

The best thing you guys could do would be to get Boise in line with even revenue sharing, if you want a bonus system, then it should be merit based (not screwing over SDSU every year, as I think they've deserved bonuses), and firing Hair for a more progressive and inventive commissioner.  Give the conference champion a bonus.  Give the team with the most All League players a bonus.  Give the team with the most P5 wins a bonus.  Don't just give a bonus to Boise because they're Boise.  You're paying them for past performance.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg