Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dr. Dre

The next TV contract. What will it take to keep the Aztecs?

13 minutes ago, PTR said:

Ultimately, I think that's where this is all headed. Wait for the B12 to be cannibalized by the SEC, Pac 12 and B1G and then have a 16-20 team BOR conference comprised of leftovers and the most marketable ACC and MWC teams. The teams on the outside wind up in either the Big Sky, WAC, Sunbelt, or Conference USA. Some might choose to drop their football programs altogether. 

A BOR is no more desireable than the current situation.  You'd end up with 3-4 decent teams that are largely ignored by the general sports viewing public.  No NCAA autobid for basketball, no bowl ties,  no additional interest from sports fans.  Nothing but  a days worth of news on ESPN and a new logo. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, PTR said:

It's that magical time of year again, where BSU, CSU, and SDSU fans sit at the bar arguing over who has a 4 inch realignment cock and who has a 4.5 inch realignment cock. 

Had not seen much of CSU participating in this discussion, so thought I thought I'd better weigh in.  CSU is only 4" across.

Carry on.

If the B-12 were to lose Texas and Oklahoma, the leftovers would be located in two small cities in Kansas, Ames Iowa, Stillwater Oklahoma, Waco, Texas, Lubbuck Texas,  Ft. Worth, Morgan Town, West Virginia

Losing Texas and Oklahoma would ruin their T.V. contract, if one joins that conference you would be making trips to places very much like Laramie, Logan and Ft. Collins.

The big 12 would go after Houston, SMU, and Cinci.  before looking at any MWC schools, they might go after CSU or AFA, how much better is that conference to what the MWC is now, keep in mind the B-12 will get G-6 status asap.

5 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

With the stadium battle in full gloves off mode, there has been a lot of talk on sports radio this past week about SDSU's ambitions both academically and athletically. Quite frankly, the local talking heads have not been kind to the Mountain West conference- with one host calling it an "absolutely HORRIBLE conference" and another mentioning its filled with "pathetic competition". A lot of talk about how we need to be thinking P5 and/or BOR. With that said, I think the new TV contract is critical to keep us in the MWC. And I don't think it has a @ph90702 chance of getting laid without emptying out his piggy bank. First of all, the Boise deal would have to go bye, and they're not going to let that happen. Second, the contract would have to be worth our while. Right now, we could get more our third tier rights alone. 

What will the new TV contract consist of, and will it be the end of the MWC?

Go ahead and be delusional and arrogant all you want. SDSU will get the same as Boise which is the same as everyone else. Might even require you to pay all of Hawaii's travel assessment bills. 

If the Aztecs go Indy and go FCS for Olympic sports, don't expect much of any scheduling agreements with the MWC, at least for a while. Certainly don't expect much scheduling with the Pac12 because they only have 3 OOC games and have certain schools they want to play in other P5's. Also, you'll have the same problem as BYU in terms of getting a NY6 bowl game if a miracle does occur that you run the table. 

SDSU is solid in FB, not great, and has been very good in BB for a while. However, with a new staff taking over, you don't know what is going to happen. The Lobos thought the same thing when Noodles took over, but we've all seen the decline with him as coach. I'm sure Rocky is thinking retirement sooner than later. Too bad Brady Hoke can't come back and follow through what he was building. 

What will Aztec FB and BB look like in a few years? That's a good question. Anyway, SDSU really does need the MWC. Fans and radio guys might not think so, but the people that make decisions are paid to make decisions based on reality, not Dre's fantasies of being in the Big12, and his mom servicing opposing teams when they come to town. 

kat.jpg

Really the idea that all of this will come down to conference TV money is moot.  The TV money will suck, count on it.  What that contract really needs to come down to is what we sell for the paltry sum we'll be receiving.  I realize in advance that our first tier rights won't bring crap, but how much control will we have over our second and third tier rights.  I don't think the conference should control those, because the conference sucks at doing what's best for the membership.

We'll get a pay cut for sure, and it will result in a fair number of un-televised games.  Of those that CSU play in, I don't want the conference to control them.  I want the ability to have a second tier deal with ROOT, or maybe an ala-carte deal where a SDSU@CSU game for instance could be offered to a major network.

In other words, we're going to get hosed on the new deal.  Let's at least reserve enough rights to compensate for it.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Really the idea that all of this will come down to conference TV money is moot.  The TV money will suck, count on it.  What that contract really needs to come down to is what we sell for the paltry sum we'll be receiving.  I realize in advance that our first tier rights won't bring crap, but how much control will we have over our second and third tier rights.  I don't think the conference should control those, because the conference sucks at doing what's best for the membership.

We'll get a pay cut for sure, and it will result in a fair number of un-televised games.  Of those that CSU play in, I don't want the conference to control them.  I want the ability to have a second tier deal with ROOT, or maybe an ala-carte deal where a SDSU@CSU game for instance could be offered to a major network.

In other words, we're going to get hosed on the new deal.  Let's at least reserve enough rights to compensate for it.

First tier and second tier rights need to be sold as a conference.  Boise T.V. deal needs to go.  Travel subs need to go.

It would be great if schools could keep tier 3 rights and maybe rebroadcasting rights.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Finally A voice of reason.that makes sense to me.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

First tier and second tier rights need to be sold as a conference.  Boise T.V. deal needs to go.  Travel subs need to go.

It would be great if schools could keep tier 3 rights and maybe rebroadcasting rights.

We had to threaten a lawsuit in order to get a buyer for our first tier rights in the last go around.  What makes you think the conference can get a plug nickel for second tier this time?  It's a guaranteed deal that second tier will end up with Campus Insiders.  No thanks.  If we're just going to stream a production made by the hosting school, we can get by without the middleman.

10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

We had to threaten a lawsuit in order to get a buyer for our first tier rights in the last go around.  What makes you think the conference can get a plug nickel for second tier this time?  It's a guaranteed deal that second tier will end up with Campus Insiders.  No thanks.  If we're just going to stream a production made by the hosting school, we can get by without the middleman.

That might be best, all I am saying is that for the health of the conference and for goodwill purposes, first and second tier rights need to be pooled together.  Do we really want schools like Boise, Fresno and SDSU who could sell parts of their second tier rights for far more than schools like USU, SJSU and Wyoming to just exacerbate the issue people have with the Boise deal?  Second tier rights include a few football games and a lot of basketball games.  This is a conference.  A conference provides all schools a safety net they would not have without it, for that security some schools make sacrifices.   

Guest Dr. Dre
2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

SDSU doesn't have the fan support or the street cred to even entertain the thought of going Indy.  And the B12 has better options.  

lol. we'll be just fine thanks

Guest Dr. Dre
2 hours ago, PTR said:

It's that magical time of year again, where BSU, CSU, and SDSU fans sit at the bar arguing over who has a 4 inch realignment cock and who has a 4.5 inch realignment cock. 

Sure beats the hell outta a UNM 2" 

2 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

+1000

or a WHYome vagina

Guest Dr. Dre
1 hour ago, PTR said:

then have a 16-20 team BOR conference comprised of leftovers, service academy football programs, and the most marketable AAC and MWC teams.

more like 12-14 BOR. Of which SDSU will CERTAINLY be a part of

Guest Dr. Dre
1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The MWC is really not that bad guys.  Lots of potential.  State Flagships, great destinations, great communities.  The last two seasons will be shown to be outliers in history, not the new norm.  Of that I am confident.

This is just laughable

46 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nobody here has a chance in hell at joining the PAC.

I disagree.  However, you are putting the cart before the horse if you think west coast college sports or even football in particular would determine that situation  The academic reputation of the university determines whether you are at all a viable candidate.  To a large degree those reputations are based on graduate programs now - where you were an undergraduate matters very little in this day and age.  

I'm not saying California State University's are screwed.  I was very lucky to get to know Professor Joanna Brooks SDSU while she was a graduate student at UCLA.  (Her book http://joannabrooks.org/the-book-of-mormon-girl/  should be required reading for BYU trolls imho)  Teaching doesn't get valued as much as it should because the quality of in class education has no bearing on the academic reputation based on out of class research.  Cal State University's have plenty of science and technology departments that do this research now.

I've seen SDSU fans argue that they are being held back because of UC's nine campuses all grant PhDs.  I think that cranking out more people with PhDs in a job market that already doesn't hire many people with a PhD isn't actually going to improve the academic reputation of a school - the real thing dragging down research is time spend teaching undergraduate students.

USNWR is heavily weighted on factors that both public and private schools have in common.  This might seem like an apples to apples comparison but it isn't, in my opinion, because you many of the  things that public schools have because private schools can't do those things.   Every private university has to have some kind of endowment but that isn't as essential a factor for a public university.  Private universities have a big stake in their rankings so they really push all the metrics, while public schools aren't affected by rankings.  USNWR is a toral racket.

Guest Dr. Dre
46 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

there it is

Guest Dr. Dre
12 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Better schools than SDSU have left the conference. You should go if you are unhappy..The conference will be fine and SDSU will be fine..

LOL. We will, you won't