Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dr. Dre

The next TV contract. What will it take to keep the Aztecs?

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The issue here is TV value and the directors cup standings are totally irrelevant to that.

Nationally, your school has some TV value only because of your underdog rep in upsetting big boys. Obviously that will cease to exist if you can't dominate the MWC to give you a chance to play them. The Boise metro area is not heavily populated. (Pleeeze don't try to say that's not true because Boise has half a million people. That just makes you a middling city.) Not too long ago Southern Miss ran off a streak of 10 consecutive bowl games but after several bad seasons they now can't even get out of a devastated CUSA. Why? Because there are only 150K people in the Hattiesburg metro area.

A MLB pre-season mag I bought ranked the momentum of teams with arrows pointing up, sideways and down. If such a mag was published for the MWC, SDSU's arrow would be pointed up and Boise's would be pointed sideways.

Boise made a lot of fans outside Boise.  Lots of kids grew up Boise fans who are in no way affiliated with school or city.

So if the conversation is about T.V. value, which comes mostly from football your statement "Boise offers nothing but football" seems rather redundant.

2 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

I'm afraid you are in for a disappointment. Lots of groundswell on this one.

SDSU doesn't have the fan support or the street cred to even entertain the thought of going Indy.  And the B12 has better options.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

There was a time when I would regularly see Boise State gear at sporting goods stores here in L.A. Now not so much. About the same as SDSU gear and yeah I get that SD is much closer to L.A. but Boise isn't hated by many Angelenos because unlike SDSU, Boise doesn't pose any kind of threat to UCLA. (SDSU will never threaten USC in football and despite how great UCLA's hoops history is, until the Bruins hired Alford and SDSU fell off, our program had become as good or better than theirs.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There was a time when I would regularly see Boise State gear at sporting goods stores here in L.A. Now not so much. About the same as SDSU gear and yeah I get that SD is much closer to L.A. but Boise isn't hated by many Angelenos because unlike SDSU, Boise doesn't pose any kind of threat to UCLA. (SDSU will never threaten USC in football and despite how great UCLA's hoops history is, until the Bruins hired Alford and SDSU fell off, our program had become as good or better than theirs.)

So now UCLA is intimidated by SDSU's potential?

This is good stuff.  Keep it coming.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

"Boise might need SDSU assistance to get into the Big 12"

Lol.  Wut.

Again, you have ZERO value without continuing to pull off football upsets over big boy programs. Zero. And how often has that happened recently?

In contrast, SD county has 3.5 million residents and contiguous Riverside county, from which SDSU has successfully recruited heavily in the Rocky Long era, has another 2 million residents. The Pac may have a TV foothold in those counties equal to SDSU's but the B12 has no such foothold. And in case you haven't checked, flight time between SD and the majority of B12 locations is almost exactly the same as from Boise. So kindly explain how if your football program continues to gradually diminish in quality until the B12 implodes in 7-8 years just how your school will be of value to the B12 leftovers.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Again, you have ZERO value without continuing to pull off football upsets over big boy programs. Zero. And how often has that happened recently?

In contrast, SD county has 3.5 million residents and contiguous Riverside county, from which SDSU has successfully recruited heavily in the Rocky Long era, has another 2 million residents. The Pac may have a TV foothold in those counties equal to SDSU's but the B12 has no such foothold. And in case you haven't checked, flight time between SD and the majority of B12 locations is almost exactly the same as from Boise. So kindly explain how if your football program continues to gradually diminish in quality until the B12 implodes in 7-8 years just how your school will be of value to the B12 leftovers.

Our fan base dwarfs SDSU's,  We created fans across the country.  Kids who grew up watching Boise.  We could go 0-12 next year and our brand would still be worth considerably more than SDSU's.

I am not sure our program will continue to diminish more than it has, that is a huge assumption on your part.  Harsin is good for 9-12 wins a year going forward.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So now UCLA is intimidated by SDSU's potential?

This is good stuff.  Keep it coming.

Please quote where I claimed UCLA was intimidated by SDSU. Your reading comprehension on this thread is equally as good as it was in the thread where you claimed MWC bylaws prevented a player from transferring from one MWC school to another.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Is that it?  That's the big plan?  Wait 7-8 years for the B12 to implode and then join the remnants? 

Barack Obama

Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Please quote where I claimed UCLA was intimidated by SDSU. Your reading comprehension on this thread is equally as good as it was in the thread where you claimed MWC bylaws prevented a player from transferring from one MWC school to another.

You claim you pose a threat to UCLA and "Angeelenos" hate you for it.  Posing a threat big enough to incur a strong emotion like hate is synonymous with intimidating.

It's that magical time of year again, where BSU, CSU, and SDSU fans sit at the bar arguing over who has a 4 inch realignment cock and who has a 4.5 inch realignment cock. 

Just now, PTR said:

It's that magical time of year again, where BSU, CSU, and SDSU fans sit at the bar arguing over who has a 4 inch realignment cock and who has a 4.5 inch realignment cock. 

The MWC is a great fit for Boise.  Playing with our peers.

3 minutes ago, PTR said:

+1000

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

33 minutes ago, calvegas04 said:

sdsu won't even have a stadium to play in when the next TV contract comes around. UNLV and CSU would be the most likely to join the PAC

I heard the PAC only looks at schools with quality sports programs, great fan support and solid academics.  Perhaps that's just a rumor. 

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Is that it?  That's the big plan?  Wait 7-8 years for the B12 to implode and then join the remnants? 

Ultimately, I think that's where this is all headed. Wait for the B12 to be cannibalized by the SEC, Pac 12 and B1G and then have a 16-20 team BOR conference comprised of leftovers, service academy football programs, and the most marketable AAC and MWC teams. The teams on the outside wind up in either the Big Sky, WAC, Sunbelt, or Conference USA. Some might choose to drop their football programs altogether. 

2 hours ago, calvegas04 said:

sdsu won't even have a stadium to play in when the next TV contract comes around. UNLV and CSU would be the most likely to join the PAC

Nobody here has a chance in hell at joining the PAC.

The MWC is really not that bad guys.  Lots of potential.  State Flagships, great destinations, great communities.  The last two seasons will be shown to be outliers in history, not the new norm.  Of that I am confident.

If SDSU can improve itself by going indy, then more power to them.  They would need a lot to go right for them the next few years to better position themselves.

If schools are this unhappy and desperate to leave they should leave.  The next tv deal is going to be worse because cable is going the way of the phone booth.  But, on the other hand,  playing football games at 9 pm on a Thursday sucks royally..I won't miss that..

I think the schools that leave will probably have to go independent for football then squeeze into to some other conferences for olympic sports.  I don't think a BOR or a move to a big boy conference is in the cards for any MWC school

I look at San Diego State.  They have a huge population, successful teams, a big budget, great weather in a massive recruiting ground and they can't even get a sniff from any major conference.

They weren't even a consideration in the fake Big 12 expansion...

The ship has sailed..

But if they are very unhappy and hate their business partners so much they should go.  Same with any school who feels the same way..Life is too short to be miserable..