Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Sexington

The PAC12 Sucks

8 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

New(ish) network, and PAC is trying it out for its first time.  Bugs will get fixed, costs will go down.  I wouldn't be too concerned with it, so long as PAC continues to be competitive.  USC being good again is going to do some good.

good points, except Wilner pointed out a while ago that having the production facilities in San Francisco was a mistake.  Expenses are double what they would have been in a different locale.  I agree with that. 

2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

good points, except Wilner pointed out a while ago that having the production facilities in San Francisco was a mistake.  Expenses are double what they would have been in a different locale.  I agree with that. 

Interesting, did they do it for centralization purposes?

San Francisco is the place to go over the top so this location will be advantageous in 2024-25.  I hope we go over the top with a sub fee and only do national broadcasts.  No ESPN, no FS1, no friday or saturday night "Window 4" unless it's a national broadcast.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

The Pac 12 network was a spin off of Comcast Sports Bay area - to a large degree.  I think that Cal and Stanford are pre-eminent in the Pac 12 and that its why.  the University of California Office of the President is in the bay area so UCLA is voting to put the network there rather than LA.  UCOP is very powerful.

Plus, the pac 12 network started up during the post recession period so they didn't pay ridiculous office space prices.  It was good timing for them.

1 minute ago, Bruininthebay said:

The Pac 12 network was a spin off of Comcast Sports Bay area - to a large degree.  I think that Cal and Stanford are pre-eminent in the Pac 12 and that its why.  the University of California Office of the President is in the bay area so UCLA is voting to put the network there rather than LA.  UCOP is very powerful.

Plus, the pac 12 network started up during the post recession period so they didn't pay ridiculous office space prices.  It was good timing for them.

Maybe Donna can give the Pac-12 channel some of her $175 MM slush fund!

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

probably, and the conference offices are just a few miles away in Walnut Creek

2 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Thanks, good info.

Solid analysis/critique by the both of you throughout the thread.  :cheers:

27 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Playing victim must be common law in the state of Utah.  Don't see the Colorado or Bruin fan with this type of hot take. 

"These meanies said I only make 10x what they make!"  :D

0b2fd2be64a557c8f8d30a8f65d6fa1f.jpg

9 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

If that was the main concern, the offices would be in Las Vegas. Anywhere would be cheaper than San Francisco. They used to be in Walnut Creek.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

If that was the main concern, the offices would be in Las Vegas. Anywhere would be cheaper than San Francisco. They used to be in Walnut Creek.

Las Vegas would be a great place.

But you have to remember the mentality of the PAC12 (PAC8) old guard.   They are elitist, and believe that living in California is an entitlement.   Cool restaurants, hipster lifestyle, California liberal cool.  They would "die" if they had to lower themselves to living in an uncultured place like Las Vegas.  These guys and gals are not going to give up their lifestyle and fat checks in the bay area, in order to move somewhere "not cool", and help the schools out.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

But you have to remember the mentality of the PAC12 (PAC8) old guard.   They are elitist, and believe that living in California is an entitlement.   Cool restaurants, hipster lifestyle, California liberal cool.  They would "die" if they had to lower themselves to living in an uncultured place like Las Vegas.  These guys and gals are not going to give up their lifestyle and fat checks in the bay area, in order to move somewhere "not cool", and help the schools out.

Well, they put their BBall championship here. Word is that they are high on putting the football championship here once the Raider's stadium is built. But yeah, the conference office is a bit of a stretch. If they do, guarantee UNLV to the PAC24 though! :banana:

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SharkTanked said:

Well, they put their BBall championship here. Word is that they are high on putting the football championship here once the Raider's stadium is built. But yeah, the conference office is a bit of a stretch. If they do, guarantee UNLV to the PAC22 though! :banana:

It is going to be very interesting to see if the Raiders moving to Las Vegas helps UNLV out a lot, or if UNLV is just Temple 2.0 (decent basketball following, with non-existent football following, playing in a nice NFL stadium).

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, I get that. Ultimately, sports revenue is a drop in the bucket.  I hear UTAH endowment is closing in on $1.5bn, double what it was in 2010.  Seems that I read that the University is picking up another $250m in research dollars again this year. Suddenly $10m deficit in athletics revenue isn't that big of a deal.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

Just now, #1Stunner said:

It is going to be very interesting to see if the Raiders moving to Las Vegas helps UNLV out a lot, or if UNLV is just Temple 2.0 (decent basketball following, with non-existent football following, playing in a nice NFL stadium).

I don't think it will help UNLV much. I don't think it will kill us either. Probably status quo with a little better recruiting. And yeah, the stadium will be cavernous on game day. Hope they at least have some bench seats. They are nice to stretch out on and catch some rays in early season to mid season.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Yeah, I get that. Ultimately, sports revenue is a drop in the bucket.  I hear UTAH endowment is closing in on $1.5bn, double what it was in 2010.  Seems that I read that the Zuniversity is picking up another $250m in research dollars again this year. Suddenly $10m deficit in athletics revenue isn't that big of a deal.

Congrats to Utah.

One thing that really really benefits the State of Utah, is that Utahns culturally are willing to invest in their Universities.  Plus, big donors like Huntsman, Marriott, Eccles, etc.

It results in a quality schools, a growing economy, with a lot of new companies being formed.  The endowments of USU, Utah, and even Weber State are all pretty good.  UVU is growing.   Plus you have BYU on the private side.  

A lot of entrepreneurship.  

I agree, the athletics budgets aren't that big of deal.   Quality athletics is very important to keep the alumni base engaged, and wanting to donate to the schools.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SharkTanked said:

I don't think it will help UNLV much. I don't think it will kill us either. Probably status quo with a little better recruiting. And yeah, the stadium will be cavernous on game day. Hope they at least have some bench seats. They are nice to stretch out on and catch some rays in early season to mid season.

Well, UNLV really has nothing to lose, and everything to gain.  So it is exciting for UNLV fans.  

Plus, I think that Las Vegas is going to host some annual neutral site football games as well. 

realizing its not the Bay Area, but Sacramento would have been much more suitable for the P12 Studios.  More Central, probably 1/2 the expense, easy airport to get in and out of and 70 miles from Walnut Creek, but then again it is Sacramento and I'm sure Larry Scott doesn't have the cheap mindset that I do.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Well, UNLV really has nothing to lose, and everything to gain.  So it is exciting for UNLV fans.  

Plus, I think that Las Vegas is going to host some annual neutral site football games as well. 

Oh the place is going to print money for sure. It's going to make a lot of money for someone (assuming the economy keeps up). The beneficiary will not be UNLV though. I will still always hope for an on-campus stadium, but this probably nails that coffin shut for good.

But anything for UNLV fans to get excited about is good in the short-term. If Sanchez starts winning, it could provide a lot of momentum. That's a monstrous "IF" though.

Guest #1Stunner

I'll give an endorsement for the PAC12's Chief Operating Officer, and 2nd in charge, Jamie Zaninovich.   He was the former conference commissioner of the WCC.  Did a great job, and was creative with negotiating TV deals.  

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/03/13/pac-12-names-zaninovich-deputy-commissioner-and-chief-operating-officer

If Larry Scott leaves anytime soon, Zaninovich will likely get the job.   Really, the MWC is foolish not to fire Thompson and hire this guy.   His experience in both the PAC12 and WCC would really help the MWC, especially as the MWC needs to negotiate a new TV deal soon.