Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Turkey - what a wonderful ally

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I realize that the white house is a bit distracted right now, but does anyone believe Trump wold at least have publicly criticized Erdogan for this if he wasn't hiding from the media? Not a chance, since the dude probably gave Trump a compliment and is this a good guy in Trump's mind.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Fvck Turkey. I would have traveled there for leisure 15 years ago but not anymore. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

28 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Fvck Turkey. I would have traveled there for leisure 15 years ago but not anymore. 

7 years ago was ok.  The club that got shot up a year ago, my friend would have guaranteed been there had he been visiting.  Having fun always seems better in the past.  

7 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

7 years ago was ok.  The club that got shot up a year ago, my friend would have guaranteed been there had he been visiting.  Having fun always seems better in the past.  

Sad given that Turkey was one of the most open and progressive republics in that region*. They're on their way to becoming the next Venezuela. I would have loved to have gone there before this shitshow regime took over.

*The little part of Turkey that is in Europe doesn't qualify them to be European in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

How is this different than other protesters getting beating up in the US?

Trump protesters beaten.

Or Trump fans beating up protesters.

Is this a privilege or right only given to Americans?  B)

It's kinda like fights within the family. It's just different. ?

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Turkey was also just warned by the EU after they violated Greek air space nearly 150 times in one day. 

Those are two countries that loathe one another. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

IDK. I think Western Europe's racism +++++ed them big in this one and in a sense created Erdogan. if they had brought them into the fold years ago and incorporated them into the EU we wouldn't be seeing this right now. 

Perhaps so. 

27 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Cops beating up protestors is deplorable but it's even more egregious when the people doing the beating are foreign agents with diplomatic immunity. 

If Trump had a brain and really cared about America's reputation internationally, he'd be suspending diplomatic relations with Turkey over this.

It ain't cool to set the precedent that we won't take action when foreign agents beat up our citizens in public.

7 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I was there 11 years ago and it was cool. I mean I was in Istanbul only but a couple months later my dad took the slow route down to Greece and to Turkey - Ankara, Izmir, along the Aegean. He said Turkey was like Greece but nicer at that time.

Strange how things change so quickly

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

IDK. I think Western Europe's racism +++++ed them big in this one and in a sense created Erdogan. if they had brought them into the fold years ago and incorporated them into the EU we wouldn't be seeing this right now. 

A lot of people would agree with you.  Myself included.  The EU has given Turkey the stiff arm for years.  Dangling membership in front of them since the late 90's but always just out of reach.  Not that Turkey is blameless.  It's all but impossible now.

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree. It's a horrible, disturbing precedent. It's so bizarre it isn't getting any coverage to speak of. 

But he'll probably just refer to him as a "strong" leader and then tweet about how unfair life is. 

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Close down that embassy and kick them the +++++ out. I'm shocked the Dems aren't running with this. Inept idiots. I guess the FBI memo "trumps" this in the eyes of the media, but the lack of response from Trump towards this incident is much more egregious IMO.

Guest RoscoesDad
4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Cops beating up protestors is deplorable but it's even more egregious when the people doing the beating are foreign agents with diplomatic immunity. 

I assume that the protesters were likely Turkish-American citizens.  There is a whole lotta wrong in this and I agree with McCain - we should kick their Ambassador out of the goddamn country and shut down the embassy.  Unfortunately, Trump probably fapped to it and dreamed of the day when he could do that to the people protesting him.

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

This

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

I assume that the protesters were likely Turkish-American citizens.  There is a whole lotta wrong in this and I agree with McCain - we should kick their Ambassador out of the goddamn country and shut down the embassy.  Unfortunately, Trump probably fapped to it and dreamed of the day when he could do that to the people protesting him.

McCain called for kicking the Turkish ambassador out of the US but not for shutting down the Turkish embassy.  Turkey is far to strategically important to shut down their embassy.  Turkey is an ally nation teetering on the edge with the west.  Hopefully we can reign them back in but I'm not optimistic.

Senators: Turkey must waive diplomatic immunity for security guards involved in D.C. clash

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/25/turkey-diplomatic-immunity-dc-protest-238816

The Turkish government must waive diplomatic immunity for individuals involved in a clash with police and protesters earlier this month, a bipartisan group of senators wrote in a letter to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson earlier this week, or else face rescinded visas and revoked diplomatic credentials