Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

Vegas Golden Knights have named their AHL affiliate

20 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The AHL is probably the second best hockey league in the world and it's product is almost as exciting and a helluva lot more affordable than the NHL.

Strongly disagree with that. The KHL in Russia-Europe is the second best.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

17 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Strongly disagree with that. The KHL in Russia-Europe is the second best.

Fair enough and that's why I said the AHL is probably the second best league in the world as it is debateable.  My opinion is the KHL has more top level talent but falls short in overall player depth.  One aspect that makes it hard to compare the two leagues is they do play a different style of hockey in part due to the different sized rinks but also just the difference between the North American and EU/Russian styles.

8 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Fair enough and that's why I said the AHL is probably the second best league in the world as it is debateable.  My opinion is the KHL has more top level talent but falls short in overall player depth.  One aspect that makes it hard to compare the two leagues is they do play a different style of hockey in part due to the different sized rinks but also just the difference between the North American and EU/Russian styles.

Disclaimer:  I lived in Moscow for two years and became a quite big Dynamo Moscow fan, and attended many KHL games.  Also attended several in Bratislava, Slovakia.  So yeah I'm a little biased.  

That said, KHL is pretty much universally known as the second-best, and trust me, it isn't even remotely close.

According to this site, the AHL is ranked the tenth best league in the world... (FWIW I'd disagree with that and put the AHL higher)

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

This one has the AHL in the next tier outside the NHL/KHL, but I didn't find any site that refuted the fact the KHL is second only to NHL in the world.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-hockey-leagues-other-than-the-NHL-and-KHL

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png