Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterfrog

San Diego State Is Out

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Always been dubious of the Battle of the Economic Impact Studies.  Both sides can make the numbers say what they want.  And, like politics, which one a person chooses to believes usually involves which one fits there own personal beliefs.  If a city wants to pay for something, they will.  If they dont, they wont.

This. I had an econ prof at SDSU who got his PhD at Pitt. He was a big Steelers fan and his doctoral dissertation was a cost-benefit analysis of Three Rivers Stadium. He said what he concluded was that if the unquantifiable metric of city pride was discounted, building the stadium was not in the city's best interest.

A soccer stadium might cost a lot less than an NFL stadium but the civic pride derived from having a multiple Super Bowl champion is immensely greater than that derived from having a MLS franchise.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As I understand it the FSI submitted valid sigs from a high enuf % of registered voters that the only discretion the city council now has is when the election will be.

The mayor and a significant number of councilpersons are pushing for the November special election on the Convention Center. It won't be a decision solely on Soccer City. We'll know in a week or so.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

14 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As I understand it the FSI submitted valid sigs from a high enuf % of registered voters that the only discretion the city council now has is when the election will be.

That's correct.  I'm referring to a special election in November.

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Watch em vote no on the convention center, and yes on Mission Valley.  Wouldn't shock me at all.

:D

Also, the convention center ballot requires 2/3 majority to pass due to taxes being involved.

The Soccer City ballot only needs a simple majority because no there is no taxes involved for funding...it's all private.

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

Also, the convention center ballot requires 2/3 majority to pass due to taxes being involved.

The Soccer City ballot only needs a simple majority because no there is "no taxes involved for funding"...it's all "private".

Edited for clarity.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Edited for clarity.

What tax initiative did FS included...none?  They will be signing a 99 year lease on the Qualcomm portion and the amount paid to the city is 10% of the market value and it is allowed to increase as the market value increases.  Its a good deal for the City and the residents in the area...the city gets $$ from sale of land and a lease payments for 99 years.  The area get a nice park, housing, a stadium and future shopping areas.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-me-soccercityoffer-20170518-story.html

The Poll in the article favors FS heavily. 

67% of the residents polled know about the Soccer City Plan.

61% support the proposal with 14% not sure.  

Sounds like this could pass easily.

12 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

What tax initiative did FS included...none?  They will be signing a 99 year lease on the Qualcomm portion and the amount paid to the city is 10% of the market value and it is allowed to increase as the market value increases.  Its a good deal for the City and the residents in the area...the city gets $$ from sale of land and a lease payments for 99 years.  The area get a nice park, housing, a stadium and future shopping areas.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sd-me-soccercityoffer-20170518-story.html

They deduct quite a bit from the market value right away.  As low as $10,000 for the outright lease.  Good for the City?  I would be cautious on your optimism.  It seems what it really is a subsidy to the tune of a couple hundred million.  

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

It's going to pass. The shady developers and SDSU obstructionists are placing their hopes on procedural maneuvers,

Something almost always beats nothing

SD is genuinely a soccer city

There are no taxpayer dollars involved, no matter what the Shady Developers and SDSU obstructionists say

SD really., really wants to put the Chargers in the rearview mirror

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Watch em vote no on the convention center, and yes on Mission Valley.  Wouldn't shock me at all.

:D

I'll vote yes on both but the outcome you suggest is likely.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

This. I had an econ prof at SDSU who got his PhD at Pitt. He was a big Steelers fan and his doctoral dissertation was a cost-benefit analysis of Three Rivers Stadium. He said what he concluded was that if the unquantifiable metric of city pride was discounted, building the stadium was not in the city's best interest.

A soccer stadium might cost a lot less than an NFL stadium but the civic pride derived from having a multiple Super Bowl champion is immensely greater than that derived from having a MLS franchise.

Yet somehow it's a great investment for a public university....

Go figure...

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

It's going to pass. The shady developers and SDSU obstructionists are placing their hopes on procedural maneuvers,

Something almost always beats nothing

SD is genuinely a soccer city

There are no taxpayer dollars involved, no matter what the Shady Developers and SDSU obstructionists say

SD really., really wants to put the Chargers in the rearview mirror

Are you or a company you work for involved with the soccer team getting the deal?  

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Are you or a company you work for involved with the soccer team getting the deal?  

I'm a defense contractor so, no.

Native San Diegan BIG SDSU fan. Hate to see the university act so foolishly and absolutely squander an opportunity to get a nice place to play.. Looking forward to becoming a huge soccer fan so I can say "pitch" and "nil" and wear a ridiculous scarves.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

The biggest mistake SDSU is making, besides having the mouth breather JayDee Wicker as their lead spokesman, is painting those who think soccer city is good for the city and SDSU as the enemy.  This city is looking for something to rally around. Soccer City is it. SDSU can choose to stand on the outside,squandering tons of goodwill or they can get on board and catch the wave.

They have chosen the former.... Stupidly

SMH

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

The biggest mistake SDSU is making, besides having the mouth breather JayDee Wicker as their lead spokesman, is painting those who think soccer city is good for the city and SDSU as the enemy.  This city is looking for something to rally around. Soccer City is it. SDSU can choose to stand on the outside,squandering tons of goodwill or they can get on board and catch the wave.

They have chosen the former.... Stupidly

SMH

Soccer City isn't having a very good week.  People are starting to read the THREE THOUSAND PAGE law they are trying to pass.

The City Attourney came out as worried about it.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sd-me-soccercity-legal-20170523-story.html

And the SDSU Allumni groups are starting to mobilize.

5812325590_be8c597a4b_b.jpg

19 minutes ago, fanhood said:

I don't think it gets approved for a special election.

Which means they have to go through a year of SDSU Allumni telling everyone how its a bad deal.

Also a year for other developers to come forward with better deals.

5812325590_be8c597a4b_b.jpg

15 minutes ago, aztecbob said:

Which means they have to go through a year of SDSU Allumni telling everyone how its a bad deal.

Also a year for other developers to come forward with better deals.

Yup, and in the interim SDSU extends its lease for the Q through 2020. RFPs are issued, and SDSU gets it 30 or so acres it wants.