Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

White supremacists protest removal of Robert E. Lee Statue in Charlottesville, VA

A torch-wielding group, including a prominent white nationalist, protested Saturday night against plans to remove a Confederate monument in the hometown of the University of Virginia.

Local media outlets reported that the group rallied around the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, chanting "You will not replace us," "Russia is our friend," and "Blood and soil."

The protesters included Richard Spencer, a white nationalist who popularized the phrase "alt-right" and has advocated for an "ethno-state" that would be a "safe space" for white people.
"We will not be replaced from this park," Spencer told the crowd at a different rally held hours earlier in Charlottesville on Saturday. "We will not be replaced from this world. Whites have a future. We have a future of power, of beauty, of expression," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/14/charlottesville-protest-torch-wielding-group-rallies-against-virginia-confederate-statue-removal.html

and I even linked to FNC for all of you snowflake Trumpets.

Should they rename the barracks at West Point that are named after him?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

There's a war on white people! It's been nearly as effective as the wars on drugs and terror!

Don't forget the war on crime and poverty. And Christmas 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Don't forget the war on crime and poverty. And Christmas 

All very successful wars. If there's one thing we're good at, it's war profiteering.

dprk-flag_bigger.gif

Pathetic US fascists protest removal of slaveholding rebel icon bearing citronella torches, to protect girlish soft skin from insect bites.

Embedded
2.5K4.1K

dprk-flag_bigger.gif

"Mothers Day" is western holiday in which unruly, disobedient children buy off vengeance of scorned ancestors with cheap cards and flowers.

You do know that is a satire twitter account, right?

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I didn't. Why you gotta ruin everything with reality?

Because I'm the grinch. 

2 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

Na, na, na, na I can't hear you.

dont rain on my parade

Sorry.  I'll stop pissing in your cereal.  Carry on.   

The real joke is Donald Trump's twitter account is satire also. 

In high school in Hawaii I read the biography of Jefferson Davis.  I like history and thought the biography taught me that war is terrible and the Civil War was very devastating.  Some or many of the soldiers and commanders of the South had their reasons other than to preserve slavery to fight for the South.  I have no family history that was affected by slavery so it's not my place to dictate what is appropriate.  However, I don't think removing history even the defeated from public view in a great tragedy of our civil war is going to make the lives of folks better today.  Again I don't know anything but the actor playing General Lee in the movie Gettysburg had him deplicted as a decent man on the wrong side.

I'm a liberal questioning this move.

21 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

In high school in Hawaii I read the biography of Jefferson Davis.  I like history and thought the biography taught me that war is terrible and the Civil War was very devastating.  Some or many of the soldiers and commanders of the South had their reasons other than to preserve slavery to fight for the South.  I have no family history that was affected by slavery so it's not my place to dictate what is appropriate.  However, I don't think removing history even the defeated from public view in a great tragedy of our civil war is going to make the lives of folks better today.  Again I don't know anything but the actor playing General Lee in the movie Gettysburg had him deplicted as a decent man on the wrong side.

Our family lore is that we had deserters from both sides. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Robert E. Lee was a complex man dedicated to doing what he felt honor bound to do and felt was the most noble option.  That does not mean he was not championing an evil practice.  He was a man of his times but lets not forget he was not just on the wrong side of the war, he is on the wrong side of history and decency.  He owned many slaves through his wife's side of the estate and even had a few of his own up until the 1850's.  He called slavery evil, but necessary for a short period of time until we could "civilize" black people.  Let the people decide in the state I say via their elected officials.  The "mob" or those influenced by them have removed or destroyed monuments from the past in every society on earth as that society has grown and changed.

Let the written word tell the Story of Robert E Lee.  JMO.  If in the future the people vote in an official who wants to erect it again, then that is their choice.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Robert E. Lee was a complex man dedicated to doing what he felt honor bound to do and felt was the most noble option.  That does not mean he was not championing an evil practice.  He was a man of his times but lets not forget he was not just on the wrong side of the war, he is on the wrong side of history and decency.  He owned many slaves through his wife's side of the estate and even had a few of his own up until the 1950's.  He called slavery evil, but necessary for a short period of time until we could "civilize" black people.  Let the people decide in the state I say via their elected officials.  The "mob" or those influenced by them have removed historical or destroyed monuments from the past in every society on earth as that society has grown and changed.

Let the written word tell the Story of Robert E Lee.  JMO.  If in the future they people vote in an official who wants to erect it again, then that is their choice.

Hear hear. Putting the statue away does not put the man away. There are plenty of museums and battlefields appropriate for such a monument. If the people of the community would like to shutter away painful reminders of their history in the hopes of healing animosity over past events, let them do it. Perhaps a later generation will come to view things differently in time.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I thought Sheen did a good job as well of portraying a character who is impossible to portray.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Hear hear. Putting the statue away does not put the man away. There are plenty of museums and battlefields appropriate for such a monument. If the people of the community would like to shutter away painful reminders of their history in the hopes of healing animosity over past events, let them do it. Perhaps a later generation will come to view things differently in time.

The outrage is silly.  It is nobodies business but those living in Virginia.  I bet 50% of the people on either side up in arms about this have never read a single book on Lee.   

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The outrage is silly.  It is nobodies business but those living in Virginia.  I bet 50% of the people on either side up in arms about this have never read a single book on Lee.   

I don't think it's about Lee. It's the douchebags like Spencer grandstanding about it and, of course, President the Donald.