Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Question for AztecSU regarding College Baseball

Guest #1Stunner

@AztecSU, I know we have are disagreements, but don't say I don't respect you brother.  

I wanted to get your opinion on college baseball playing surfaces.   Supposedly BYU is tearing out its natural grass and dirt, and going with a new "turf" playing surface, including for the dirt.  (yes, BYU is high elevation baseball).

What are your thoughts on this.  I guess their field will be similar to Oregon State's field.  Seems strange not to have real dirt.

Edited%20Photo_csky.jpg

BSB%202016-04-01%20WASHINGTON%20AT%20ORE

As an outfielder I always hated turf to be honest. That being said Texas had a turf infield when we played them some years ago and I know the quality of turf keeps improving. If it's good enough for UT, why not BYU?

Also, I seem to recall that the kind of grass you guys had (probably based on weather/climate) wasn't that great so this will probably be for the best. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, AztecSU said:

As an outfielder I always hated turf to be honest. That being said Texas had a turf infield when we played them some years ago and I know the quality of turf keeps improving. If it's good enough for UT, why not BYU?

Also, I seem to recall that the kind of grass you guys had (probably based on weather/climate) wasn't that great so this will probably be for the best. 

Interesting, I didn't realize that Texas had this setup.

Honestly, I think they are doing this to save money over the long term, and maybe because the natural grass his hard to "green up" for the college baseball season.  Utah is basically in winter for half the college season, and rainy spring for the other half.   I guess this is becoming more common.

You have a point that it is difficult for "mountain" schools to have a baseball team.

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Interesting, I didn't realize that Texas had this setup.

Honestly, I think they are doing this to save money over the long term, and maybe because the natural grass his hard to "green up" for the college baseball season.  Utah is basically in winter for half the college season, and rainy spring for the other half.   I guess this is becoming more common.

You have a point that it is difficult for "mountain" schools to have a baseball team.

Spray paint.  Most MLB teams that have grass end up having to spray paint it.  But then that costs $ so perhaps you are correct about them going to this as a way to save $.

Nevada has "fake" dirt for their infield when they redid the field a few years ago. Everything is the fieldturf even the dirt. From what I heard about it, it stands up better to the wear and tear...stands up to the weather better so the cost of upkeep is less. However I don't know if true but have heard someone say it does make the infield a little faster on ground balls.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada has "fake" dirt for their infield when they redid the field a few years ago. Everything is the fieldturf even the dirt. From what I heard about it, it stands up better to the wear and tear...stands up to the weather better so the cost of upkeep is less. However I don't know if true but have heard someone say it does make the infield a little faster on ground balls.

It's a hell of a lot faster but very true. Really hard and expensive to keep natural fields in tip top shape year after year.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:59 PM, AztecSU said:

HS coach here, did you play deeper on turf to try and cutoff the alleys due to the speed of the surface? 

5 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

HS coach here, did you play deeper on turf to try and cutoff the alleys due to the speed of the surface? 

If the turf extended to the outfield yes. You def have to be more consistent backing up throws on that surface too, bad throw is that much worse when it bounces/skips on that shite. 

On 5/6/2017 at 0:14 PM, renoskier said:

It's a hell of a lot faster but very true. Really hard and expensive to keep natural fields in tip top shape year after year.

I would think especially in northern areas because of freezes and such