Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roswellcoug

Jimmy Kimmel gets emotional about his new baby needing surgery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/02/jimmy-kimmels-powerful-heartfelt-obamacare-plea-crystallizes-the-gops-dilemma/

But then runs off the rails claiming that before Obamacare in 2014 if “you were born with a preexisting condition, and if your parents didn’t have medical insurance, you might not even live long enough to get denied because of a preexisting condition.”

If parents had health insurance before Obamacare, they could add the baby to their policy regardless of condition. And if they were uninsured, no hospital could deny a baby already there needed treatment. 

Jimmy, just stay out of areas you know nothing about.

18 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

When have you ever followed this advice?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Shut up, Jimmy Kimmel, you elitist creep

Here was this moment highlighting the preciousness of life, the heroism of nurses, the unmatched expertise of surgeons and the magical power of family. And what is the point of it all for Jimmy Kimmel?

Politics. Grubby, dirty politics.

“I want to say one other thing,” Mr. Kimmel said after thanking all the people who just saved his baby son’s life, spared his family from a lifelong misery and supported them all through the whole traumatic ordeal.

“President Trump last month proposed a $6 billion cut in funding to the National Institute of Health,” the “funny” man continued. “And, thank God, our congressmen made a deal last night to not go along with that.”

It was suddenly as if instead of bringing forth into life an exquisite bundle of joy, Mr. Kimmel had been handed a stupid golden statue. And as if at the Oscars, the dirty, self-absorbed, narcissistic exhibitionist could not help himself but step into the klieg lights and start blubbering about politics.

“They actually increased funding by $2 billion. And I applaud them for doing that. Because more than 40 percent of the people who would have been affected by those cuts to the National Institutes of Health are children. And it would have a major impact on a lot of great places, including Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles,” he sobbed. “Which is so unbelievably sad to me.”

After his slobbering wet kiss to federal bureaucracy, Mr. Kimmel then went squealing on about Obamacare and how insurance companies, the government and your neighbors should all be forced to pay for everybody else’s health care. (Easy thing to say for a gazillionaire from Hollywood.)...

Yes, that’s right. He just had a kid and the kid nearly died and he wants you to know that if you are not for bloated federal bureaucracy, socialized medicine, higher taxes and tons of more debt piled onto your grandchildren, then you are not a “decent person.”

Actually Jim, if you were a “decent person,” you would shut your fat trap about partisan politics and go care for your kid, who just nearly died, you elitist creep.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/2/jimmy-kimmel-elitist-creep-who-needs-shut-up/

6 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/02/jimmy-kimmels-powerful-heartfelt-obamacare-plea-crystallizes-the-gops-dilemma/

But then runs off the rails claiming that before Obamacare in 2014 if “you were born with a preexisting condition, and if your parents didn’t have medical insurance, you might not even live long enough to get denied because of a preexisting condition.”

If parents had health insurance before Obamacare, they could add the baby to their policy regardless of condition. And if they were uninsured, no hospital could deny a baby already there needed treatment. 

It's true that he is inaccurate, the vast majority of kids are on or qualify for medicaid well before Obamacare. Makes for good press for the democrats though just like pushing granny off the cliff.

He is wrong. My son was born with many conditions they did not see by untrasound before he was born. We knew he had a serious heart condition and intestinal issues but there were a host of other things wrong as well when he was born. Medicaid helped cover some of the costs. Between the surgeries and hospital stay for his first 7 months in the hospital the bill was a little over 2 million.

I feel for him because I know what it is like going through having a kid that needs emergency surgery right after he was born. My son's first surgery was six hours after he was born and he had a 50-50 chance of survival. I understand the stress that puts on you. It's hard for me to judge him because I've been in his shoes as a parent. I was an absolute mess and I didn't have to go on tv. 

I wonder how much Jimmy pays for health insurance. Too bad someone doesn't ask him. I doubt he'd tell, but maybe he'd be willing to share the premium as a percentage of his monthly pay. Just so we can compare with our own situations. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

He is wrong. My son was born with many conditions they did not see by untrasound before he was born. We knew he had a serious heart condition and intestinal issues but there were a host of other things wrong as well when he was born. Medicaid helped cover some of the costs. Between the surgeries and hospital stay for his first 7 months in the hospital the bill was a little over 2 million.

I feel for him because I know what it is like going through having a kid that needs emergency surgery right after he was born. My son's first surgery was six hours after he was born and he had a 50-50 chance of survival. I understand the stress that puts on you. It's hard for me to judge him because I've been in his shoes as a parent. I was an absolute mess and I didn't have to go on tv. 

I hope all is going well for your son now.

I have no problem with Kimmel's getting emotional over a sick child. Only the truly heartless would. And I share his thanks to doctors, nurses, medical research, etc.

But when he uses his own child as a pawn to make a political point (especially a baseless one on pre-existing conditions and Medicaid), he should be called out. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/us/denise-hayes-jimmy-kimmel-baby-surgery-erin-burnett-cnntv/

"Jimmy Kimmel's cousin, Dr. Denise Hayes, said Tuesday that the late-night comedian's emotional monologue about his son's heart surgery was important for the debate on pre-existing conditions."

Shouldn't a doctor know something about pre-existing conditions and newborns?

As least she admits at the end that no baby like Kimmel's would be denied surgery before Obamacare.

Fake news indeed.

9 hours ago, Son of California '06 said:

We've tried private insurance. Didn't work.

We've gave Obamacare a shot. That worked a lot better, but not good enough.

The only solution is Single Payer.

And who's going to pay for that?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

As someone who has been a caregiver of a terminally ill loved one, I'm extremely hesitant to criticize in circumstances like this. Until you've dealt with a long-term catastrophic health situation, it's difficult to understand the emotional and financial burden. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

The problem of pre existing conditions is simple. Let people buy into Medicare. The mechanism for paying into the system is already there. Too bad the politicians can't do anything that they can't take advantage of politically. 

53 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

The problem of pre existing conditions is simple. Let people buy into Medicare. The mechanism for paying into the system is already there. Too bad the politicians can't do anything that they can't take advantage of politically. 

You mean a public option? It's a good idea. The left would be on board, I suspect, and their supporters would love it. The GOP would go bananas over it, though.

6 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

I wonder how much Jimmy pays for health insurance. Too bad someone doesn't ask him. I doubt he'd tell, but maybe he'd be willing to share the premium as a percentage of his monthly pay. Just so we can compare with our own situations. :rolleyes:

Kimmel has a foundation that donates to heath care services...

Oh, @jackmormon I merged your thread into this one as I thought they were pretty similar. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater