Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

UNLV basketball depth chart

12 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Johnson/Hardy

Mooring/Greene

Morgan/Blair/Beck

Juitson/Diong

McCoy/Dembele

Think walk on Blair would see more time than Beck?  Also in this scenario Anthony Smith is in reserve?  

44 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Johnson/Hardy

Mooring/Greene

Morgan/Blair/Beck

Juitson/Diong

McCoy/Dembele

I think this is pretty close. Johnson, Juiston, and McCoy are locked in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Greene ahead of Mooring. I also have questions about whether Morgan has the quickness to defend the 3 or be an effective perimeter player. He has been most effective within 7-10 feet of the basket.

29 minutes ago, mundyc3 said:

Think walk on Blair would see more time than Beck?  Also in this scenario Anthony Smith is in reserve?  

Smith has only been playing basketball for a few years. I expect him to be very raw.

I'm not sure who will be our starting SF. Menzies probably doesn't even know.

All I know is we have a true PG who will lead the league in assists and a starting frontcourt that will probably will be top 10 in the country.

The rest will play itself out. Serious talent upgrade throughout roster for next season. Only weak point is 3 point shooting...at least on paper right now.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Pg Johnson Sr / Hardy Fr 

Sg Mooring Sr / Clyburn Jr / Hardy Fr

Sf Rafus Fr / Beck Fr / Clyburn Jr

Pf Morgan Jr / Shakur Jr / Diong Fr 

C McCoy Fr / Diong Fr / Shakur Jr 

Smith will play mop up min, I think we land Rafus, Dembele and Green RS. 

Just my personal opinion, Morgan has been in the system for a year and almost averaged a dbl dbl while playing hurt. I think he gets the nod to start but wouldn't be surprised if Shakur ends up starting it could go either way. 

Blair is a walk on who averaged 1.8 ppg and 1.6 rpg it was something like that at Idaho lol sorry but he's not getting anything more than blow out minutes. he will be that guy who everyone cheers and yells shoooooooot when we are up 25 with .45 sec left.

Rafus is working on grades, if he can get it done this summer then he'll be that 'mystery shooter assassin' that waddilove was referring to. but it almost sounded like menzies was done, so maybe he's moved on?

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Rafus is working on grades, if he can get it done this summer then he'll be that 'mystery shooter assassin' that waddilove was referring to. but it almost sounded like menzies was done, so maybe he's moved on?

That is what I have been wondering. Waddilove seems so steadfast that this is going to happen, but Menzies is playing it as if there is no chance he is adding anyone else.

7 hours ago, Rebel#2 said:

Pg Johnson Sr / Hardy Fr 

Just my personal opinion, Morgan has been in the system for a year and almost averaged a dbl dbl while playing hurt. I think he gets the nod to start but wouldn't be surprised if Shakur ends up starting it could go either way. 

I think this is the most realistic line up, but I would switch Morgan and Juiston at the PF spot.

7 hours ago, Rebel#2 said:

Pg Johnson Sr / Hardy Fr 

Your rotation looks realistic;   I'll adjust it slightly:

Pg Johnson Sr / Hardy Fr 

SF Morgan (Jr/Sr?) / Beck Fr / Clyburn Jr  (wild card: Sf Rafus Fr)

PF Shakur Jr / PF Morgan (Jr/Sr?) / Smith Jr

C McCoy Fr / Dembele So / Diong Fr

The recovery situation with Morgan is something to keep an eye on, as is his medical waiver request which will determine if he is a junior or senior.  After Tyrell Green was turned down for the same request this past winter there is concern.

Jonhson/Hardy

Mooring

Clyburn/

Shakur/Morgan

McCoy/Demble

Doing redshirts and assuming like 2 other guy do

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

I just don't think Morgan can play the 3. He already thinks he's a jump shooting PF the last thing I want is him playing the 3 and thinking he's a scorer. he's a guy who brings energy I cringe every time he takes a jump shot. I think Shakur could be really good just not ready to give a guy the starting nod who's never played D1 especially over a guy who when knows his roll is a dbl dbl guy. how ever it works out I'm sure for us to be really good Morgan, Shakur, and McCoy need to dominate the minutes.

4 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

I am just curious, given that Dembele is turning 21, whether Menzies would have him redshirt or not. With all the progress he has shown and his age, it is hard to tell a kid that.

No chance in hell he redshirts.

i have no idea who will start, or who will play what position for how long. There is just not enough information, and certain things are more important to me at this stage and really are somewhat intangible and won't necessarily show up in a stat sheet, ie, motor? defense? dominant in the paint? court vision? i'm sure it will work itself out, and menzies might spend a few games experimenting with what works. but i am glad to see this:

Mick Akers @mickakers 3h3 hours ago

Former #unlvmbb and NBA player Marcus Banks said he's going to work with @MarvinMenzies to help team anyway he can

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Dwayne Morgan, without a doubt has the physical skills to play the three. His lateral quickness is elite for a player his size.  It will come down to whether or not he has improved his basketball IQ.

No he can't.

The dude plays defense with his hands.

He can't shoot.

He's slower than smaller guards. We don't play against 6'8 SFs...we play against 6'4-6'7 guys.

Morgan is strictly a 4.

If we end up with Rafus

Johnson/Hardy

Mooring/Hardy/Beck

Rafus/Clyburn

Juiston/Morgan/Diong

McCoy/Dembele/Diong

All is well, For Rice is gone.