Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

OT: USNWR 2017

USNWR National Universities

129.  Colorado State

146.  San Diego State

169.  Hawaii-Manoa

171.  Wyoming

176.  New Mexico

197.  Nevada

220.  Fresno State

220.  Utah State

NR.  Boise State

NR.  UNLV

Regional Ranking

33 (West).  San Jose State

National Liberal Arts Rankings

32.  Air Force Academy

Props to Boise State for managing to get elevated to the national university level even if "unranked." Plops to San Jose State which remains at the regional university level even though it's the oldest of the 23 CSU campuses and even though not just the second oldest, SDSU, but also much younger campuses like Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton have surpassed it in the academic rankings. (Lol. Does that school do anything right?)

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest Dr. Dre
21 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

(Lol. Does that school do anything right?)

I can answer that one!

No.

(total turd of a university in all aspects)

Guest Dr. Dre

LOL at WHYome's acceptance rate 96%

New University slogan

"Give me your tired,  your poor. Your huddled masses. We'll take ANYONE!" 

17 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I think this is Fresno's first foray into the national rankings.  Always good to see the Cal States land as a national university.

Fresno made it for the first time last year. It should also be said that USNWR has been increasing its list of national universities. The list used to be cut off at 200. Now those between 200 and 220 are ranked and a number of others above 200 - not going to bother to count them - are included as "unranked."

As to SJSU, as I mentioned once before, a couple graduates of that school were on a panel of three people who hired me for my first career level job coming out of SDSU so I've always felt a soft spot in my heart for the Spartans and when I attended SDSU in 1977-1981, their football program and that school's academic rep were almost on a par with SDSU. However it's obvious that place has been very mismanaged over the years.

Boom goes the dynamite.

USNWR has had an issue with Hawaii's data for the last few years. UH-Manoa receives a much larger portion of the $270m endowment than the $38m that they state it receives (as its the main university in the system). They use to state it correctly and Hawaii was around 140-150 rankings yearly. Then they proportioned the endowment in a weird way between all the CC's, West Oahu, along with Hilo and then Manoa dropped 10-20 spots in rankings. No way does a school like HPU (61m) have a larger endowment than UH-Manoa even if they are a private school.

1 hour ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

USNWR has had an issue with Hawaii's data for the last few years. UH-Manoa receives a much larger portion of the $270m endowment than the $38m that they state it receives (as its the main university in the system). They use to state it correctly and Hawaii was around 140-150 rankings yearly. Then they proportioned the endowment in a weird way between all the CC's, West Oahu, along with Hilo and then Manoa dropped 10-20 spots in rankings. No way does a school like HPU (61m) have a larger endowment than UH-Manoa even if they are a private school.

I wrote them once about the endowment.  I was told they split the money evenly among all the 4-year schools system-wide(UH-manoa,UH-West Oahu, and UH-Hilo) unless there is a university-specific endowment.  The problem is that in order to get the amount they showed for UH Manoa, they would have to divide UH's endowment evenly between all universities/colleges in Hawaii that award a 4 year degree instead of just the ones in the UH system.  That would include private schools like HPU, Chaminade, and BYU-Hawaii as well as UH-Maui College, a community college that also offers 3 bachelor of applied science degrees.

8 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Okie State, TTU, Louisville, and WVU are ranked lower than CSU and SDSU. 

Oregon St. And Washington St. Both at 143 (right above SDSU) Arizona St. at 123 with 80% acceptance rate.

Guest Dr. Dre
5 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

UCSB is 37.  UCSD drops a few spots to #44.

no one cares. you're worse than Idaho fan. at least they don't go to home fan sites. get those lifts yet?

For decades most of the UCs have brought in a buttload of students from Asia. As an example, I just checked and although just 6.6% of the population of Riverside identifies as Asian, the student population of UCR is 31% Asian. Granted some are native Californians but no way does that fully explain those numbers. Asian students tend to be very highly motivated and the UCs get the best of the lot.

BTW, the UC system is under huge political pressure right now. An independent study revealed that the President's Office run by Janet Napolitano has been paying employees considerably higher than comparable jobs at the CSU Chancellor's Office and at departments of the State of California as well as publishing questionable budget data in an apparent effort to hide money. Meanwhile the UC has been crying poverty and once again raising tuition while the CSU is not doing so this year. A few members of the legislature are pissed off enough that they're questioning whether some of the UC's autonomy should be reined in.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

For decades most of the UCs have brought in a buttload of students from Asia. As an example, I just checked and although just 6.6% of the population of Riverside identifies as Asian, the student population of UCR is 31% Asian. Granted some are native Californians but no way does that fully explain those numbers. Asian students tend to be very highly motivated and the UCs get the best of the lot.

BTW, UC is under huge political pressure right now. An independent study revealed that the President's Office run by Janet Napolitano has been paying employees considerably higher than comparable jobs at the CSU Chancellor's Office and at departments of the State of California as well as publishing questionable budget data in an apparent effort to hide money while crying poverty and once again raising tuition while the CSU is not doing so this year. A few members of the legislature are pissed off enough that they're questioning whether some of the UC's autonomy should be reined in.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/26/napolitanos-uc-hid-175-million-while-demanding-money-audit-says.html

The University of California hid a stash of $175 million in secret funds while its leaders requested more money from the state, an audit released on Tuesday said.

Scoundrels 

Thanks SU. As a citizen of this state I'm really proud of the high regard given the UC system. However, the folks at the top have always been disgustingly elitist in their attitude about the rest of us from the unwashed masses. It's past time for them to get off their high horses and acknowledge that some pretty good teaching also goes on at CSU campuses and most community colleges.

Boom goes the dynamite.