Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

OT: USNWR 2017

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Because Chinese people, Desis, and nerdy white kids don't care about athletics. For SJSU athletics, it's like dying of thirst and being stuck next to a huge, beautiful blue ocean. 

They must have the dumb Asians since their test scores aren't all that. (It's OK I'm Asian).

3 hours ago, Cincy said:

That's great.  Can you tell us why Sharta can't seem to fundraise very well for athletics?

I won't be like others here that insist blindly everything is perfect about their situation.  It is odd indeed given sjsu athletics isn't swimming with cash being in the middle of the wealthiest place on the planet .

This is due to the uniqueness of sjsu.

• with its reputation in engineering, it attracts lots of foreign talents, so American football isn't something they are keen on.  The highly competitive nature of engineering keeps them away from attending games especially against WAC competition and not being a power in the conf.
  • A lot of the Bay Area residents are from elsewhere originally.
  • with only one recent 2012 top 25 ranking in football, it didn't exactly set the college world on fire.  Silicon Valley is all about winners, so there's not much tolerance for anything else.  Look at the 49ers, have you seen their home games attendance lately?
  • sjsu isn't the only game in town.  there are Stanford and Cal plus too many pro teams.  Of course, it's the beautiful Bay Area with beaches and limitless entertainment options so going to a WAC game and not winning isn't the best way to spend on a saturday.

But with recent massive student housing completed (probably the nicest in the west), and $1.4 BILLION campus wide constructions, this should get students out to the game and get themselves be part of the football tradition even when they later become alumni.  Of course, the magic of winning too would take care of everything quickly - the 2012 top 25 football ranking definitely created curiosity and a buzz on campus. But coach Mac left for the 'buff.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2014/10/27/inside-san-jose-state-universitys-1-4-billion.html

31 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

I don't blame him. I'd also be pissed off if a newer school from a so-called undesirable location passed us up after a hundred years of being ahead. Although, his anger would be better suited directed at his schools administration. 

Has anyone ever told you tantrum doesn't work?  I'm too polite to say anything about poverty-stricken inferiority complex about fresno eventhough you brought it up, I didn't.

Can you refute any of the below?

• A Top tech companies receive 20,000 resumes/per week around the country and the world, yet they choose SJSU grads to hire over all others.  Proximity isn't an issue.  When Engineering salary at top tech is $150K, people would still move here in a heart beat if given the chance even with the high cost of living.  It's about your career - $150K today, but $250K salary down the line.  Plus, millions of dollars in potential stock options, espp, gifted stocks, etc, etc.
  • Your proximity logic is easily debunk also here:  Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford.  FYI for geography challenged, Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley  Berkeley is also part of the Bay Area across from tech hub San Francisco - heck undergrads from Berkeley even commute daily to SF to take their off campus classes in the city.

Also, plenty of other SJSU programs in addition to Engineering are top notch.  Case in point, here's a link even back in 2013 where a 3.8 GPA magna cum laude got rejected by SJSU to the animation program.  

I'm happy to provide more examples.

"Years of hard work earned Mary Hale an associate degree in 3-D animation and video game art, a 3.8 GPA and a magna cum laude distinction. But it didn’t get her the one thing she was counting on for her future: a coveted spot in San Jose State’s highly regarde

11 minutes ago, davemathew said:

I won't be like others here that insist blindly everything is perfect about their situation.  It is odd indeed given sjsu athletics isn't swimming with cash being in the middle of the wealthiest place on the planet .

This is due to the uniqueness of sjsu.

• with its reputation in engineering, it attracts lots of foreign talents, so American football isn't something they are keen on.  The highly competitive nature of engineering keeps them away from attending games especially against WAC competition and not being a power in the conf.
  • A lot of the Bay Area residents are from elsewhere originally.
  • with only one recent 2012 top 25 ranking in football, it didn't exactly set the college world on fire.  Silicon Valley is all about winners, so there's not much tolerance for anything else.  Look at the 49ers, have you seen their home games attendance lately?
  • sjsu isn't the only game in town.  there are Stanford and Cal plus too many pro teams.  Of course, it's the beautiful Bay Area with beaches and limitless entertainment options so going to a WAC game and not winning isn't the best way to spend on a saturday.

But with recent massive student housing completed (probably the nicest in the west), and $1.4 BILLION campus wide constructions, this should get students out to the game and get themselves be part of the football tradition even when they later become alumni.  Of course, the magic of winning too would take care of everything quickly - the 2012 top 25 football ranking definitely created curiosity and a buzz on campus. But coach Mac left for the 'buff.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2014/10/27/inside-san-jose-state-universitys-1-4-billion.html

Ok I think I understand.....

2496093-3138322337-tumbl.gif

36 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

The guy is literally making the argument that more SJSU grads being hired by the tech industry than Berkeley means that they're a better university than Berkeley. He's an idiot. It's a waste of time arguing with him. 

I don't blame him. I'd also be pissed off if a newer school from a so-called undesirable location passed us up after a hundred years of being ahead. Although, his anger would be better suited directed at his schools administration. 

Exactly. Lotta ins and outs.  What's the total number of engineering grads put out by SJSU versus Berkeley or Stanford.  And as global universities, the latter two aren't placing all their grads locally.  How many SJSU grads are being recruited by defense contractors in Socal or tech firms in Boston or the research triangle?  Grads from Stanford and Berkeley have recruiters and opportunities all over the country.  Also, does the market allow firms to pay SJSU grads significantly less for similar positions? I'd like to see some data on median starting salaries for engineering grads from the three schools. 

You can make some viable arguments that SJSU deserves to be mentioned alongside FSU and SDSU, but to somehow argue that it's superior to two of the top universities in the world undercuts any credibility. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

59 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

What's the total number of engineering grads put out by SJSU versus Berkeley or Stanford.  Also, does the market allow firms to pay SJSU grads significantly less for similar positions? I'd like to see some data on median starting salaries for engineering grads from the three schools. 

Your questions can found on google with relative ease, but here they are.

According to payscale.com, there's a ~6% difference between stanford and sjsu grads in computer engineering (median comparison for 2015 salary for example is $137K to $125K).  You did ask for specific position so this is one example, but have fun on the sites doing reporting, pivot, aggregate and anything else you fancy.  

Undergrad and grad engineering enrollment comparison: cal 5218; sjsu 5922.  So not that big of a difference.   

“We have over 20,000 recruiters registered with us, who are competing for our talent,” said Daniel Newell of the San Jose State Career Center.  

So sjsu should proudly boast that Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford

Remember, sjsu accomplishments do not take away anything from your school, so no reason to get so upset...reading between the lines here...nor is it necessary to resort to any tantrum or acting out in any juvenile/hate/racist manner...

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

So there aren't a lot of Asians in the Bay Area?

Pointing that out is "racist"?

+++++ you. 

Except it's not relevant.  Bay Area is a world class destination attracting people everywhere including lots of European.  Also, it's 2017 - wealth differentiates us more than race.

19 hours ago, bigd said:

This exactly, and this even applies for MW vs WCC admissions. Someone posted USD's impressive admission averages earlier in the thread, but the fact is that their enrollment is only 8,200. I'm sure that the top 25% admitted for most MW schools could get averages like that, but the missions are simply different for large public schools vs small privates. 

Under California law the CSU system - meaning its 23 campuses - is obligated to make room for all applicants from the top 50% of state HS graduates. As easy as it is to graduate from the huge number of terrible public high schools in so-called large urban districts in contemporary California, a bunch of those kids shouldn't be attending college. However, if they're hell bent on doing so, CSU must allow them to. Private universities like USD and Santa Clara have no such requirement and that is the sole reason their USNWR ratings are so high.

Which requires saying this. SDSU's goal is to eventually get into the top 50 of national PUBLIC universities. Right now it's tied for 74th: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Jesus titty +++++ing christ you're dense.

Again, try to refrain from your emotional outbursts, it will add a lot of clarity to your thought process.

The city of Berkeley for example has a 19.3% Asian population but UC Berkeley has over 43% asian students (per dailycal.org), a higher asian percentage than sjsu.  

UCLA and Cal Tech to name a few hovering above 40%.  

UCSD has over 50% asian student body even though La Jolla San Diego has a 11% asian population.

Many elite schools in the east coast have high asian percentage, are they all "epicenters" of asian population?

I no longer interested in discussing race since it's a boring subject and mostly not relevant to the thread but you're free to continue with your meltdown.

Calling SJSU's foreign student's Asian's is far too limiting a description of how international San Jose is.  Fremont has the largest Afghani population outside of Afghanistan and there is a significant Eritrean/Ethiopian population in East San Jose.  Of course there are Latinos and East Asians because you are in the Western United States (of course gringos and smaller number of gueros), but its hardly the case that SJSU's students have a predominant nationality.

Marc Spears, the reporter for ESPN's undefeated, was a SJSU basketball player and is probably SJSU's most prominent alumnus. He has said he's no longer attending Raider games but will go to Spartan games next fall.  He isn't the only one who feels that way.  I think there will be a resurgence of SJSU interest due to the Raiders leaving and it becoming easier for fans to get to SJSU games.

In a general way, the western peninsula of the bay area is more affluent and has kids who don't aspire to attend Cal State Universities (yes, elitists).  The east bay is much more than just Berkeley and is generally just as international as SJSU's student body.  Antioch, Fairfield, Tracy and Vacaville are all considered "east bay" due to being along the delta but they are very far from San Jose if you don't have a car.  Overall, SJSU's students are from the South Bay and East Bay and are among the first generation in their family to attend college at a high rate.  Kids who aren't rich and aren't up to no good aren't that likely to have a car if they are from the bay area and admitted to SJSU.  BART to downtown San Jose will really improve student access to SJSU and to the home town family and friends of many more SJSU football players. 

Hopefully a combination of disaffected Raider fans who need to tailgate in a way that you just CAN'T in Berkeley, more students BARTing to and from the games, and hardcore football fans within the bay area (if they are here, they live in Antioch or Vallejo more likely than in Foster City).  2026 is a long way off in some ways, but not that far away in the future.

Internship opportunities are really the huge advantage of being a student at a bay area university.  It's a lot easier to get your foot in the door and that is really the only thing someone needs to demonstrate that they have the required skill in many tech industry jobs.  SJSU is a great place to try to get your foot in the door at the places you want to work in Silicon Valley. 

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

50% of high school graduates

The California Master plan hopes to get the top 50% of high school graduates into higher education.  CSU only is designed to accepted the top 33% and UC is designed to accept the top 12.5%.

13 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

So what continent is Afghanistan on? 

When Fremont High plays Washington, the rosters are the most perplexing things you've ever seen.  Go to maxprep and check it out.

If your point is that Asians don't like football, my point is that in Fremont there are a bunch who do.   Driving to downtown San Jose, even from Fremont or Hayward, is a pain in the ass that keeps people in the East Bay from going to SJSU games because its at the center of the South Bay's traffic nightmare.  BART in and out of there lets you get drunk, have fun and get home without hassle.  Many people, including Asians, will do this and it will address the oft criticized home attendance problems.

Honestly, scheduling midweek "window 4" games at San Jose is a guarantee of low attendance simply because the traffic isn't worth it.

59 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The California Master plan hopes to get the top 50% of high school graduates into higher education.  CSU only is designed to accepted the top 33% and UC is designed to accept the top 12.5%.

I stand corrected, thanks.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

When Fremont High plays Washington, the rosters are the most perplexing things you've ever seen.  Go to maxprep and check it out.

If your point is that Asians don't like football, my point is that in Fremont there are a bunch who do.   Driving to downtown San Jose, even from Fremont or Hayward, is a pain in the ass that keeps people in the East Bay from going to SJSU games because its at the center of the South Bay's traffic nightmare.  BART in and out of there lets you get drunk, have fun and get home without hassle.  Many people, including Asians, will do this and it will address the oft criticized home attendance problems.

Honestly, scheduling midweek "window 4" games at San Jose is a guarantee of low attendance simply because the traffic isn't worth it.

Scheduling any day of the week at SJSU is guaranteed low attendance. Be honest. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

6 hours ago, davemathew said:

You guys definitely have something against READING COMPREHENSION IR to proximity.  

• Top tech companies receive 20,000 resumes, A WEEK, at A SINGLE company, around the country and the world, yet they choose SJSU grads to hire over all others.  Proximity isn't an issue.  When Engineering salary at top tech is $150K, people would still move here in a heart beat if given the chance even with the high cost of living.  It's about your career - $150K today, but $250K salary down the line.  Plus, millions of dollars in potential stock options, espp, gifted stocks, etc, etc.
  • Your proximity logic is easily debunk also here:  Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford.  FYI for geography challenged, Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley  Berkeley is also part of the Bay Area across from tech hub San Francisco - heck undergrads from Berkeley even commute daily to SF to take their off campus classes in the city.

Also, plenty of other SJSU programs in addition to Engineering are top notch.  Case in point, here's a link even back in 2013 where a 3.8 GPA magna cum laude got rejected by SJSU to the animation program.  

I'm happy to provide more examples.

"Years of hard work earned Mary Hale an associate degree in 3-D animation and video game art, a 3.8 GPA and a magna cum laude distinction. But it didn’t get her the one thing she was counting on for her future: a coveted spot in San Jose State’s highly regarded animation program."

Note in every thread, I don't just make up stuff but provide link to stats quoted.  

http://www.mercurynews.com/2013/06/14/san-jose-state-animation-program-hundreds-of-students-shut-out/

Maybe it is your reading comprehension that needs work? I never said SJSU did not have other good programs outside tech.

I said you cannot apply info about programs like tech (or any other links you want to provide) to all of SJSU's programs. You can provide as many links as you want but it does not change the info at the links I posted.

As I pointed out with my links above, the minimum to be admitted to over 50% of SJSU's majors is a lower EI than to be admitted at Fresno State.

That does not mean SJSU does not have multiple good programs. It does mean that there are also many programs at Fresno State that are more competitive for admission than at SJSU.

SJSU does a nice job in some fields and deserves recognition for that. But don't oversell it.

8 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Interesting thread.  I agree that no one should get super high horsed about these ranking because they are flawed.

My concern is that USNWR sort of reverse engineered their rankings.  They knew they wanted to put Ivy League on top and then figured out which metrics more or less get them to the list they want.  The methodology favors private universities because the people who designed the test want private universities at the top of their rankings.  Yes, there are many ways public and private universities can be compared and USNWR does that, but they heavily discount assets that public universities have because private universities have no comparison.

Yes there are many different ways to weigh and rank colleges. Washington Monthly magazine also produces an annual ranking. They equally weight a Social Mobility Score, a Research Score, and a Community Service Score.

http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober-2016/a-note-on-methodology-4-year-colleges-and-universities-7/

Based on their methodology, Stanford, Harvard and MIT are the top 3 National schools. 

http://washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide?ranking=2016-rankings-national-universities

Others among their top 25 include UCSD, Cal, UCLA, UC Davis, and Princeton.

But ranked at #25 nationally is Fresno State. 

Obviously Fresno State does not score high in the research category. It was #4 nationally for Community Service involvement and #27 for Social Mobility. Both are important societal goals and help show Fresno State is fulfilling its mission.

But Community Service and Social Mobility are not exactly something most people will look for when selecting a college.